Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Oct 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #212 of 862
Quote:
How is the RE-Zero in this regard? Is it a bit closer to the e-Q7 signature than the RE262?

Not quite as forward on the mid / bass, but I guess RE-ZERO is probably the closest of any HifiMan to e-Q7,

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #213 of 862

That was funny. Anyway, the RE252s sure have a wide soundstage compared to many other iems, but it seems to be all about width. There is almost no sense of depth or proximity when required (means when some elements are far/close in the mix - I can give you examples if needed). As a result, it kills the mood of the songs.
My experience with them was like listening to a (pretty good, nothing exceptional though) pair of earphones rather than to the music itself. Hence the boredom.

BTW and FYI, most, nay all, stereo music is mixed NOT to give the illusion of soundstage. That's your earphones/headphones/speakers which create an illusion of space, thanks to their specific frequency response in particular. The 'true' reproduction of the recording, after the mastering process, sounds much more constricted than you might believe.

Quote:
I dunno man, maybe you should strap those monitors to your head then. The 252s sound like they play music in a pretty good space to me - quite wide, guitars over here, drums over there, singer somewhere else, know what I mean?  Doesn't sound 'off' compared to any other iems i've tried - indeed, it sounds more 'on' than a lot of previous contenders for my affections.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #215 of 862

Quote:
They've got a TRRS jack. Like an iPhone jack only with <L+|R+|L-|R-| instead of <L|R|Ground|Mic.remote|.
I'm not sure whether we actually will ever get a balanced DAP to pair with teh ZERO at this point, considering that there are less than a thousand people who could use it.

IIRC there are TRRS to double XLR adapters, but they're bulky and cost something like $50. You could probably make your own if need be.

i'm still not sure what it's like. i found a couple of links including this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector   - which looks like any other jack. i was thinking it was along the lines of a protector. is there a good reason why what rsa is doing shouldn't become an industry standard?

Quote:
, and you should check my post a few page back for foam reposition as well.

this is troubling to me. why should you have to fuss and play with it to get it right?  it should be shipped as a finished (and correct) product.....

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #218 of 862

Quote:
just felt the need to log on and say, these are practically perfect in every way.  they may be the best things ive ever heard

X2. Now I understand the sound signature, mid forward and less treble than the Zeros but definitely more likable.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #219 of 862
Quote:
this is troubling to me. why should you have to fuss and play with it to get it right?  it should be shipped as a finished (and correct) product.....

Ha, I have a long history of playing with Head-Direct / HifiMan IEM as much as I can without using any destructive method. Did that to every pair of RE series I have
tongue.gif

Quote:
Well even without any messing around with the foam it still sounds quite good.

Still great, just a little bit less treble but fuller on the bass. Foam reposition doesn't change the amount of things, just redistribute them to what I think is more balanced.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #220 of 862
I plan on writing a review eventually so I'll keep them the way it is until then. I might do that little mod as it seems easy enough but I do like how it sounds right now.

The cable however is still better than the previous RE earphone but seems to hold a bit of memory since I took mine out just now after being stored in a case for a couple of days.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #223 of 862

Quote:
Hmm, these have an interesting frequency response.  I need to fiddle with it more, but it's kind of like the Triple.Fi 10.

Funny, from some who feel they have the best mids ever to TF10.  

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #224 of 862

Quote:
Hmm, these have an interesting frequency response.  I need to fiddle with it more, but it's kind of like the Triple.Fi 10.

I don't find these anything near the Triple Fi. Tuned in to hear more! The difference between people here are interesting indeed
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #225 of 862
The RE262 seems to have a specific emphasis like the Triple.Fi 10 where you get that midbass punch.  Treble isn't as emphasized like Triple.Fi 10, but there is an interesting coloration there that reminds me of the Triple.Fi 10 some.  No, they don't sound alike.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back