HiFiMAN RE-272 Review
Aug 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #76 of 489
Today, I had a chance to briefly compare RE0, RE272, FX700 and e-Q7 side by side. To my surprise, RE272 didn't fare quite as well against the other IEMs as I expected them to. I listened briefly to some pop and instrumental on my Clip and Sony players I used the same tips on all the IEMs to make the comparison reasonably fair. The RE0 pair I tested is over a year old and probably has over 1000 hours of burn in on them already. Same with e-Q7. The RE272 and FX700 are mine and have a lot less hours on them. FX700 has around 20-30, while RE272 has around 5-10. Not sure if that's what affected my impressions, but I suspect lack of burn in is not the problem here. At least I don't believe that headphone can change in sound that much with burn in. Yes, small changes are possible, but not huge differences IMO.

But anyway, here's what I found:

FX700 is clearly the least balanced signature of the 4 to my ears - they have a tad too much mid bass and treble emphasis compared to the others and also the bass sounds a bit slow and sloppy. I enjoyed them the least of the 4.

RE272 has the second worst balance for my tastes, although it is significantly better balanced than FX700 and a lot closer in balance to RE0 and e-Q7 than FX700. The problem with RE272 is that I find the sound a little too smooth, the bass lacking some kick, the highs sounding slightly peaky, although generally very smooth and the imaging and micro detail noticeably glossed over - not sharp enough IMO. I thought I could hear more detail with RE272 than with the others when I listened to just the RE272, but for some reason when AB'ing them against the others, I could not hear much if any extra information in my music.

RE0 sounded more balanced to me than the RE272 and as you are already aware when evaluating balance, I am not just considering frequency response, but the overall sound quality and character. The RE0 I tested had the foams inside the nozzles removed and yet it still it sounds darker than my RE272 which has the foams in. However, I found RE0 sharper, more defined sounding than the RE272 with similar or better extension both high and low and similar overall sound quality, at least when driven by such low-fi sources as the Clip. I understand that RE272 is supposed to be more revealing than RE0 and thus supposedly need a better source, but then RE0 is higher impedance, harder to driver and needs more power as well, so this comparison is only useful for those planning to use the IEMs mostly as portables with average consumer grade portable DAPs. Thus, I think RE0 is actually better suited for this application than the RE272 and provides a more fun and energetic sound than the latter without yielding to it in most other aspects of sound quality.

Finally, I found I enjoyed the e-Q7 the most out of the 4. With burn in, the highs on this IEM seem to get smoother and they have no trace of harshness that my newer e-Q7s used to have. I found that e-Q7 seemed to strike the best balance out of the 4 in terms of musicality vs. technical ability. It is fast, detailed, very lively, smooth and textured with excellent sense of space and good dynamics, but it also sounds sharper, better defined than RE272, much better balanced than FX700, more powerful than RE0.

Conclusion: A really unexpected one. It makes me feel like a fool for praising the RE272 too much. I think I will sell FX700 and RE272 and get the e-Q7 and RE0 again. The latter two simply suit my tastes with my sources better.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #77 of 489

Quote:
I received my RE272 a couple of days ago and so far I just don't know what to make of their sound. I have never been this confused. I have to say that unfortunately I really don't enjoy them much at all... and yet I haven't heard anything better. It almost feels like they are too good. Too revealing for my DAPs maybe? They have amazing clarity - like that of custom Westone ES3X or even better. They also have amazing detail, but the details are not sharp - they sound washed out. I can hear lots of information I never thought was there in my music, but it's not rich in texture and sounds kind of bland and also blurry so I can't pin point where the sounds are coming from in the soundstage. Yet on the macro level the imaging is very good - vocals and all other instruments are placed with excellent precision. It's the micro detail and lacks focus. Then again, I've only listened to the RE272 through my portable DAPs so far, mainly my rockboxed Clip and I am aware that these sources are far from hi-fi especially in regards to detail resolution. Unfortunately, my Audigy 2 ZS died recently and I don't have a decent source to plug the IEMs into.

Frequency extension high and low is fantastic, especially in the bass. The RE272 goes really, really low and with great authority. With some tips, the bass can sound a little muddy - again, this may be the issue with my low-fi sources - but is otherwise exceptional with incredible resolution, depth, speed and precision that rivals the best balanced armature IEMs or even Orthodynamics. Mids are crystal clear and sound exceptionally realistic with amazing detail and yet zero harshness, seamless transients, and great coherency, reminding me of Fostex T50RP orthodynamics. All is good, except for the blurry micro detail which unfortunately is a huge issue for me and compromises all other great qualities that these IEMs have to offer. The highs are extremely detailed and nearly perfect in quantity although slightly emphasized which can make the IEMs sound a bit too bright with some music at high volume levels. Soundstage is not big, but it sounds very realistic - there are no three blobs in the head at all with these IEMs - they sound completely transparent. There is no clear left, right and middle images - everything sounds like one whole. Like Mark wrote in his review, music just seems to come into existence through these on its own and it doesn't feel like the drivers are creating the sound.

Overall, the sound of RE272 is nothing like most other IEMs and headphones I heard. They sound very little like dynamic drivers - they are much faster, clearer and more transparent than most. They definitely rival BA drivers in clarity and speed with a similar clean, dry presentation of really good BAs, except that they are at least as fast and clear as the best of them. The closest sounding headphones to RE272 that come to my mind right now are: Westone ES3X in the bass - RE272 has a very similar character to the ES3X down there: very deep, extremely clean, dry and clear and hard hitting in an odd way without much impact but with a full, thick note; Fostex T50RP in the mids - RE272 has a very similar clarity level and similar realistic timbre that makes many vocals and other real instruments jump out with uncanny realism, but RE272 has a much higher detail resolution than T50RP IMO. The highs remind me a bit of AKG K271 - soft and refined with zero harshness and yet plenty of detail and extension, but RE272 is more detailed. The highs are very different from those on RE0, ER4 or DBA-02: RE272 sounds softer than those and yet is more detailed.

Hey Pianist, how do you like the RE 272 compare with the eQ-5 and DBA-02 ?

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #78 of 489
Quote:
Hey Pianist, how do you like the RE 272 compare with the eQ-5 and DBA-02 ?

Based on my latest AB comparison above, I begin to realize more and more that it's useless to do any comparisons between headphones from memory. I don't have e-Q5 or DBA-02 to compare with the RE272 at the time, so I just can' tell, sorry. All I can say for sure is that e-Q5 will be darker, warmer and more forward than RE272, while the DBA-02 has brighter highs. To compare the sound quality, I'll have to AB them.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #79 of 489

Quote:

Based on my latest AB comparison above, I begin to realize more and more that it's useless to do any comparisons between headphones from memory. I don't have e-Q5 or DBA-02 to compare with the RE272 at the time, so I just can' tell, sorry. All I can say for sure is that e-Q5 will be darker, warmer and more forward than RE272, while the DBA-02 has brighter highs. To compare the sound quality, I'll have to AB them.

Thanks, that actually gives me a pretty good indication. How's the isolation on the RE 272 ? I was thinking of getting the SE 535 or the eQ-5 to replace the westone 4 that I sold. The Westone 4 has amazing technical abilities but it was not very engaging emotionally and it lacks that " wow I'm at the performance ! " live sound. And now there is the RE 272 in the picture competing for my affection. Thanks again for the informative impression of the RE 272.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #80 of 489
Quote:
Thanks, that actually gives me a pretty good indication. How's the isolation on the RE 272 ? I was thinking of getting the SE 535 or the eQ-5 to replace the westone 4 that I sold. The Westone 4 has amazing technical abilities but it was not very engaging emotionally and it lacks that " wow I'm at the performance ! " live sound. And now there is the RE 272 in the picture competing for my affection. Thanks again for the informative impression of the RE 272.

Isolation is pretty decent with the RE272. Not as good as with the deeper insertion, fully closed IEMs like the Westones, but still adequate for most uses, except maybe for really loud environments like a loud subway train full of passengers or something. In most cases, it should be fine.

For the most realistic sound, RE272 is hard to beat, but I personally prefer the warmer, more inviting signatures of the Ortofons, especially the e-Q7 and SE535. I would go with e-Q7 or SE535 for the most musical sound in my opinion. RE262 and RE0 are other good options, but only if you have at least a decent dedicated amp to power them. SE535 may also be picky about fit.The Ortofons should be easier to fit properly. RE262 and RE272 are also tricky to fit right because the vents often cause pressure build up in the ear.

I would get RE272 if you are looking for a really analytical sound, but don't like sharp edges and aggression in the sound. They are not the most musical though IMO.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #81 of 489
Form all that's been said thus far, it seems at ~$100 over the 262, I'm not missing much. Unless of course I misunderstood, I'm not convinced. Or am I simply off?

I must admit however, the 262 is growing on me by the minute, and I'm listening to it now almost as often as my EX1000's. Not to mention, the Zo + 262 combination alone makes it almost impossible for me to remove the 262's.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #82 of 489

Quote:

Isolation is pretty decent with the RE272. Not as good as with the deeper insertion, fully closed IEMs like the Westones, but still adequate for most uses, except maybe for really loud environments like a loud subway train full of passengers or something. In most cases, it should be fine.

For the most realistic sound, RE272 is hard to beat, but I personally prefer the warmer, more inviting signatures of the Ortofons, especially the e-Q7 and SE535. I would go with e-Q7 or SE535 for the most musical sound in my opinion. RE262 and RE0 are other good options, but only if you have at least a decent dedicated amp to power them. SE535 may also be picky about fit.The Ortofons should be easier to fit properly. RE262 and RE272 are also tricky to fit right because the vents often cause pressure build up in the ear.

I would get RE272 if you are looking for a really analytical sound, but don't like sharp edges and aggression in the sound. They are not the most musical though IMO.

Yeah, it's probably going to be the eQ-5, my local dealer informed me that Ortofon has officially discontinued the eQ-7. The price difference between the eQ-5 and the SE535 has also made the eQ-5 alot more attractive, but if the SE 535 is the superior iem between the two then they are definitely worth the consideration. Thanks again man.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #83 of 489
Quote:
Form all that's been said thus far, it seems at ~$100 over the 262, I'm not missing much. Unless of course I misunderstood, I'm not convinced. Or am I simply off?

I think that's right. And moreover, I think that even RE0 at $79 is really not that far behind at all, especially if you factor in musicality, not just technical abilities. I would say the point of diminishing returns begins well below the RE0 actually and once you get to RE0 level, choosing something better becomes mostly a matter of taste IMO.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #84 of 489
I'm still curious as to how the RE-272 would hold up against the SM3. Anyone care to shed some light?

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #85 of 489
Quote:
Yeah, it's probably going to be the eQ-5, my local dealer informed me that Ortofon has officially discontinued the eQ-7. The price difference between the eQ-5 and the SE535 has also made the eQ-5 alot more attractive, but if the SE 535 is the superior iem between the two then they are definitely worth the consideration. Thanks again man.

Are you serious? Ouch, ouch. Bad bad news. I think e-Q7 is actually better than e-Q5 in some important ways - it has richer, more forward and engaging mids and punchier bass which makes them sound more fun IMO. e-Q5 is better technically perhaps, but it's just not as musical as e-Q7. Shure SE535 I think is better than both technically and is worth the extra price, but its deep insertion and a mellow sound signature with somewhat rolled off treble is definitely not for everyone. e-Q5 is not for everyone either though. I think e-Q7 was the one with the most likeable sound signature out of the 3.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #86 of 489
Double thanks.
smile_phones.gif

First @Mark, for yet another great review and exceptionally entertaining read.
Second @Pianist, for your ongoing detailed impressions and your courage to admit mistakes.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #87 of 489
A message from our beloved/banned Bennyboy71

If you get chance, can you go to the RE272 review thread that Mark started and post that I have the 272s now and am using them straight from my J3 and am in aural nirvana / heaven / paradise / the sonic equivalent of a tropical island full of luscious naked women and running streams of whiskey? Tell them they are better than the RE262 and the level of detail retrieval is staggering.

Here you go benny
wink_face.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #88 of 489
I don't disagree with Pianist on his observation of balance regarding the sound signature of RE272 and e-Q7 (and e-Q5 as well). But my impression of balance between RE0 and RE272 are different. I think they are much closer in balance than to the others. Of course my RE0 is unmodified so it probably doesn't sound the same as Pianist's. Since I don't have FX700, no comment there.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #89 of 489
I've been listening to RE272 all morning today using the stock, small, clear bi-flanges. I used my Sansa Clip and some older (80s, 90s) pop and instrumental music. Here are some more observations I made while listening:

- clarity on these always impresses no matter what you listen to: the purity of sound is outstanding
- timbre is quite natural, but varies from track to track: with some music I find RE272 staggeringly realistic while with some other mids stand out a tad too much
- saxophone and female vocals sound extremely realistic, simply stunning
- strings sound great too, but I think I prefer FX700 for strings because I feel RE272 can make them a tad too bright at times
- piano sounds really clear and articulate, but can be a little edgy at times
- violins are extremely articulate, detailed and clean, but, again, a tad edgy
- male voices generally don't sound quite as detailed to me as female ones, although they are still very nice
- bass quality is the best I heard with all the detail and depth I would ever want, but I would prefer a tad more punch in the mid and upper bass
- I would prefer a tad more texture in the sound, although this may be a matter of having the proper source quality
- I would prefer a bit less emphasis on upper mids and lower treble, although this may be a matter of getting the right fit
- dynamic range is fantastic: all subtle, dynamic changes in volume that my source allows seem to be reproduced
- layering of sounds is fantastic: very clean and the layers are placed in a realistic way
- soundstage is not the widest or deepest, but it is extremely transparent with zero "3 blobs in the head" feeling
- the sound takes some time to get used to and to appreciate: these things really grow on me as time passes
- a very enjoyable listening experience overall, I would say hi-fi, or even high-end: realistic, highly engaging (but does take time to engage you - not exactly an "instant eargasm" type sound), controlled
- it's not necessarily the best of high-end universals, but I haven't heard a more sophisticated, uncolored overall sound
- I strongly believe that high-end customs don't have anything to offer in sound quality that high-end universals like e-Q7, FX700, RE0 and RE272 don't have, so I think RE272 can compete with the high-end customs just fine, but that's my opinion of course and it's based on experience with only one custom IEM, the ES3X

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #90 of 489
Quote:
I don't disagree with Pianist on his observation of balance regarding the sound signature of RE272 and e-Q7 (and e-Q5 as well). But my impression of balance between RE0 and RE272 are different. I think they are much closer in balance than to the others. Of course my RE0 is unmodified so it probably doesn't sound the same as Pianist's. Since I don't have FX700, no comment there.

No, I agree. RE0 does sound closer to RE272 than to e-Q7 or FX700. That's why I ranked them close to each other. From best to worst balanced:

1. e-Q7
2. RE0
3. RE272
4. FX700

With the foam in RE0 will still probably remain in second place for me. Now, remember that I am talking about balance here as combination of musicality and technical ability for my tastes and I prefer the warmer mids, and brighter upper treble of RE0 over the more neutral, less emotional (IMO) RE272. If I was to consider balance as frequency response and/or other purely technical abilities, my ranking from best to worst would look as follows:

1. RE272
2. Tie between FX700 and RE0
3. e-Q7

I would rank RE272 first. It's the least colored and the most even in frequency response, the most clear of the bunch. FX700 and RE0 would probably share the second spot, while e-Q7 would be last with the lack of treble detail and refinement letting it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back