HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,621 of 1,779
I am using HE500 with speaker amp. There is no problem about that, dont worry!

May 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,622 of 1,779
Quote:
Notice that speaker taps are not recommended for use with the HE-500's, yet are recommended with the 5LE's. Looking at the efficiency specs, though, there's only 1.5dB difference (89dB vs 87.5dB). Does 1.5dB really make the difference or is there some other spec I'm missing?
I'm using a vintage Yamaha receiver (15wpc) with speaker taps for my 5LE's. If I got HE-500's, I'd want to try out the same if it didn't risk damaging them.
Any thoughts?

While there are recommendations on the HE-500s and HE-400s to not be used off of speaker taps or connected to a speaker amp.  However, if on buys the Schiit Lyr, which puts out 6 watts per channel (I believe), one would blow their headphones just as easy with the Lyr as using speaker taps.  I'm using my HE-400s, HE-5LEs, and HE-500s with speaker taps.  Yet, I take a bit of responsibility on my end to ensure the volume is set to a capable, and realistic level before turning on my source player and hitting the play button.  With a little self-control, one can easily use any of these headphones with speaker taps.  I do realize that HifiMAN states otherwise for the 400 and 500, but they also have to issue appropriate warnings so people don't get too crazy and crank them too far.  

If one were to use the headphone output in a vintage amp or receiver, they would be OK with any of the HifiMAN headphones and could easily avoid the speaker taps.  However, the newer amps and receivers have a completely different headphone stage with their own op-amps and have the capability to really crud up the sound pretty quick and make the headphone perform at a much lower capability than it is capable of performing.

May 16, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,623 of 1,779
I've been using it for the last 6 hours with a brand new (and still not burned-in) Audio GD NFB-6, via balanced out with HiFiMan's OCC balanced cable.

It is definately a great improvement from my Schiit Asgard!

Even though these are still very initial impressions, I'd say the sound is fuller and more rounded up.
Mids are definately more detailed and more forward.
Highs are more rounded up and smoother.
Bass is more impactful and detailed.

By far, the best improvement was in the mids.
Guitars sound much more present than before.

A great upgrade, in my opinion!

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #1,624 of 1,779
For all of you that find the HE-500 lacking in high frequency energy, you may try this mod.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,628 of 1,779
Quote:
I just got my HE-500's.
Working my way through the previous posts here. Subscribed!

Congrats! What are your 1st impressions? How it compares to your previous phones?

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #1,629 of 1,779
I'm having a tough time deciding. I really like them with some of my music, but mostly, I'm finding the mids a bit too thick and lush and the highs recessed. Switching to the velour pads helped some, but not completely.

Maybe I just prefer a bright, more analytical headphone, but with my Denon AH-D7000's (and my Etymotic HF5 IEM's too), I hear crisp treble details like wire brush strokes, bells, and high hat taps clearly. With the HE-500's these sounds are often buried in the mix or completely inaudible. After reading all of the glowing reviews, I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this. I do prefer the way the HE-500's handle low frequencies - deep yet controlled, clearly layered. Much better than the Denon's.

Maybe I just need to give them more time. I'm going to stick with them for a couple more weeks to see if they (or I) change at all. I am also going to try them on a few other amps that belong to friends to see if my receiver (a vintage Carver Receiver) is the problem.

EDIT: A good example of what I'm hearing is found at the 2:00 min mark of Track 4 (Jupiter) on my CD of "The Planets" by Gustav Holst (Charles Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra - Decca 1987). Here's a poor recording of it - listen to the bells that appear at about 2:10. They are up front and clear with my other headphones, but barely audible with my HE-500's.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #1,630 of 1,779
How long have you run them in? I was similarly disappointed at first, but they really started to open up after about 150 hours. Also, they do need about 1W into 38 ohms to sound their best. They will never sound "bright" or "forward", though. I like to compare their sound to a well-set up pair of Quad ESL63s: the detail is all there, it's just never exaggerated or thrust in your face. Like the Quads, they can sound absolutely amazing, if correctly driven and set up, or they can just sound boring....

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #1,631 of 1,779
Quote:
How long have you run them in? I was similarly disappointed at first, but they really started to open up after about 150 hours. Also, they do need about 1W into 38 ohms to sound their best. They will never sound "bright" or "forward", though.

+1

Exact same here, but don't worry Palmfish, they really will open up. Crisp details,  airy soundstage,  some of the best mids in the buisness (if not the best!!)

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,633 of 1,779
I'm having a tough time deciding. I really like them with some of my music, but mostly, I'm finding the mids a bit too thick and lush and the highs recessed. Switching to the velour pads helped some, but not completely.

Maybe I just prefer a bright, more analytical headphone, but with my Denon AH-D7000's (and my Etymotic HF5 IEM's too), I hear crisp treble details like wire brush strokes, bells, and high hat taps clearly. With the HE-500's these sounds are often buried in the mix or completely inaudible. After reading all of the glowing reviews, I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this. I do prefer the way the HE-500's handle low frequencies - deep yet controlled, clearly layered. Much better than the Denon's.

Maybe I just need to give them more time. I'm going to stick with them for a couple more weeks to see if they (or I) change at all. I am also going to try them on a few other amps that belong to friends to see if my receiver (a vintage Carver Receiver) is the problem.

EDIT: A good example of what I'm hearing is found at the 2:00 min mark of Track 4 (Jupiter) on my CD of "The Planets" by Gustav Holst (Charles Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra - Decca 1987). Here's a poor recording of it - listen to the bells that appear at about 2:10. They are up front and clear with my other headphones, but barely audible with my HE-500's.

Consider taking a listen to the 5LE's if run-in doesn't solve your dilemma. 5LE takes more power to drive (I use speaker taps or EF5), but has more prominent highs and less thick mids - bass is pretty similar. Big thread on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/479547/new-hifiman-he-5le-planar-magnetic-headphone/1515#post_8595386

I have both and there's enough of a difference that I can justify keeping both. There's a comparison thread as well if you look for it.

Good luck.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,634 of 1,779
I really do want to like them and will continue to burn them in and listen to them over the next few weeks (I have a 30 day return window from HeadRoom).

I will also try them out on some friends rigs too to see if it's my amp not driving them properly.

I will read up on the HE-5LE as well. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,635 of 1,779
I have both the HE-500 and the LCD-2 r.2 at my house right now and they are at war with each other... this is going to be a hard hard choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back