HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Mar 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,546 of 1,779
I got my HE500s today. I can only say that I had found what I am looking for sound signature-wise.

I am using them with leather pads now, do you recommend velour ones?

Also does aftermarket cables effect the sound much? My HE5 was not been effected any/much from other cables, thats why I am asking.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,547 of 1,779
Quote:
So this happened 3 days into owning the HE-500's

How do I fix this? Is their a cheap replacement (replacement, not upgrade) that I can get within 2-3 days? After the HE-400 fiasco I can't wait much longer

I am really sorry about this! I am afraid I may have issues too down the road. Actually, I already have a problem with the golden part of the connector - on one channel the upper end of the golden part that screws onto the cable connector on the headphones does not attach properly to the lower part, even if I try hard to force it in. It just keeps on sliding around and coming loose. Thus, when I screw the cable onto the headphones, it take much longer on that side that's loose, putting much more strain on the cable. The cable already arrived like this. Does anybody else have this issue?

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,548 of 1,779
I've had my HE-500 for a few days and while I'm really liking the sound and comfort, I'm really not liking the cable. Still cannot bring myself to go with ALO ones. Guess it's time to go Toxic Poison or Silver Dragon.

I find it so ironic that the HE-500 is my favorite headphone in terms of SQ having come up the chain from AKG, Grado, Senn but I'm afraid if I pick them up in the wrong way one day they will crumble. They make the LCD-2 seem rock solid build-wise and that's saying a lot.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,549 of 1,779
wellll i've personally knocked my he-500 off my desk a number of times with no bad things happening.  I can understand the paranoia though for sure.  In generally I pretty much baby them.  I'm just a clumsy person.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #1,550 of 1,779
You should also check out Norse Audio, great cables from what I've heard for a decent price (comparatively speaking). I've got a set on pre-order....

Quote:
I've had my HE-500 for a few days and while I'm really liking the sound and comfort, I'm really not liking the cable. Still cannot bring myself to go with ALO ones. Guess it's time to go Toxic Poison or Silver Dragon.

I find it so ironic that the HE-500 is my favorite headphone in terms of SQ having come up the chain from AKG, Grado, Senn but I'm afraid if I pick them up in the wrong way one day they will crumble. They make the LCD-2 seem rock solid build-wise and that's saying a lot.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,551 of 1,779

Quote:
You should also check out Norse Audio, great cables from what I've heard for a decent price (comparatively speaking). I've got a set on pre-order....

How does one order from them as their website would appear to be "coming soon"?

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,552 of 1,779
On the coming soon page he has an email address, just fire one off with what you want and he'll get back to you soon. There's also a nice 15% discount on total price if you get in on Norn V2 pre-order

Quote:
How does one order from them as their website would appear to be "coming soon"?

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,553 of 1,779

Quote:
On the coming soon page he has an email address, just fire one off with what you want and he'll get back to you soon. There's also a nice 15% discount on total price if you get in on Norn V2 pre-order

Thank you, just emailed them!

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,554 of 1,779

Quote:
So this happened 3 days into owning the HE-500's

How do I fix this? Is their a cheap replacement (replacement, not upgrade) that I can get within 2-3 days? After the HE-400 fiasco I can't wait much longer

Same thing happened to mine a while back. The connector really makes it a b to solder and maintain the proper connection.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #1,556 of 1,779
Version 2. New colour, new braiding design...he didn't mention if the actual cable is upgraded but from everything I've heard his cables are exceptional.

Quote:
What's the V2?

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,560 of 1,779

Quote:
what is the cost of the Norse V2 ?

HiFiMan got back to me and are sending out a new cable. My current one works, but it's loose and cuts out occasionally. I have to play with it every couple of hours.

With the 15% preorder discount, you can get a 10 ft 4-wire cable with your choice of wood splitter and 1/4" termination for $187 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back