HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Nov 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #826 of 1,779

Quote:
I have the HE-4 and I am getting the HE-500. Can't take the recessed mids. So I am getting rid of them. But it is a great headphone (why I bought it in the first place).

Mids (voices) on HE-500 are one of its strong points, they are sooo engaging, so lifelike. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #828 of 1,779
head-direct is selling with the new ones

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #832 of 1,779
Quote:
Where did you purchase from?  Any confirmation from your seller if they actually are carrying the new upgrades?

HeadRoom.  I didn't ask.  I went off the report of someone else got their HE-500's from there and got the OCC HE6 like cable + new pads.  I figure if I get the old cable / pads I'll send 'em back.

Where did you buy and what did you get?

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #833 of 1,779
I went with head direct, made the purchase earlier today so I wont actually get them until next week.  I also chose them only because ling a few posts up said they have them in stock with the new upgrades.  If ling is wrong... * shakes fist! 

lol

Edit:  Moon audio was the only distributor of the He500 willing to admit they "will be" carrying the HE500 with upgrades.  They are awaiting shipment of them so I assumed they didn't actually have it yet, so I went with head direct.  If I don't get the upgraded stuff, I hope they will send them to me.

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #834 of 1,779
Quote:
I went with head direct, made the purchase earlier today so I wont actually get them until next week.  I also chose them only because ling a few posts up said they have them in stock with the new upgrades.  If ling is wrong... * shakes fist! 

lol

Edit:  Moon audio was the only distributor of the He500 willing to admit they "will be" carrying the HE500 with upgrades.  They are awaiting shipment of them so I assumed they didn't actually have it yet, so I went with head direct.  If I don't get the upgraded stuff, I hope they will send them to me.

I used this post as my basis for going with HeadRoom.

I ordered a pair from Moon Audio on Friday with their 10% off sale, but cancelled when I found out they were not the newer ones with the new pads & cables.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #835 of 1,779
You guys will be pleased with the HE500 even if you get the HE6 OCC copper cable which IMO is excellent and very flexible. I am still in my review process but call me impressed with this headphone. This thread should also be in the HiEnd Forum as my early impressions is this is a high end headphone and a super value product. I do like what i am hearing with these headphones.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #836 of 1,779

Quote:
You guys will be pleased with the HE500 even if you get the HE6 OCC copper cable which IMO is excellent and very flexible. I am still in my review process but call me impressed with this headphone. This thread should also be in the HiEnd Forum as my early impressions is this is a high end headphone and a super value product. I do like what i am hearing with these headphones.

There is a thread in HiEnd forum. Maybe the mods should merge both threads to one in the HighEnd forum. 
As I understand HE6 OCC cable was an intermediate cable. Headfonia reviewd the new pads and cable and preferred the HE-6 one. But I believe there should be a reason why HifiMan has chosen the (presumable pricier) silver one. 
HE-500 is indeed a very good headphone. It should be called Hi-End. It really needs proper amplification, but then again, which Hi-End headphone doesn't.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #837 of 1,779

Quote:
There is a thread in HiEnd forum. Maybe the mods should merge both threads to one in the HighEnd forum. 
As I understand HE6 OCC cable was an intermediate cable. Headfonia reviewd the new pads and cable and preferred the HE-6 one. But I believe there should be a reason why HifiMan has chosen the (presumable pricier) silver one. 
HE-500 is indeed a very good headphone. It should be called Hi-End. It really needs proper amplification, but then again, which Hi-End headphone doesn't.

I have the new pads and like the velor better. i cant see why a silver cable will make these better. The HE6 is OCC crystal cable which is of high quality. I would think the silver would have a tendency to make this phone bright and I think Mike implied that in his headfonia review. In any event would like to see impressions with the silver cable.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #838 of 1,779
Mine are cabled with TWag and that does not make them bright if that is anything to go by

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #840 of 1,779

Quote:
Well, I am now the proud owner of an HE500 :) 

yay, im part of the cool kids crowd now right?  Amiright?  *crickets  :[

Hopefully, it'll restore your faith in audiophilia.  
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back