HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Nov 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #814 of 1,779
Hey, anyone know if a TTVJ Slim can drive the HE-500s properly? Asking because the TTVJ is the only amp I have right now and I am considering these cans as my first high-end headphone purchase in the future.  

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #815 of 1,779
No, it will not be sufficient to drive them to what they are capable of.  However, it will be enough to get really great sound out of it.  I don't think volume will be an issue, it wasn't for me when I had the combo.  The HE500 is not particularly hard to drive to get good quality from, out my my J3, as with the LCD2, it sounded really nice but lacking that kick, thump and extra volume dynamics when your source is max volume and your amp is at a comfortable setting.  

The TTVJ will more than suffice and provide a really great experience.  The Orthos really need crazy power to sound their best, offered only via the Lyr or something similar.  I highly recommend the TTVJ slim and HE500 combo for starting out.  

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #816 of 1,779

Quote:
Hey, anyone know if a TTVJ Slim can drive the HE-500s properly? Asking because the TTVJ is the only amp I have right now and I am considering these cans as my first high-end headphone purchase in the future.  

A lot of folks have driven HE-500 with low power sources, like iQube that I have and tried with HE-500. You can hear music through HE-500 even with these low power sources, but you definetely need more power for its full potential (especially if you like hearing your music loud). I find the HE-500 much more powerful when driven by DACmini, and other members have said that even more powerful amps will be more beneficial also.
According to TTVJ the slim has Maximum output: 2.14V RMS into 33Ω, which gives around 90mW for HE-500, and is somewhat low. This gives only around 105dB SPL peak. If you listen only till 85dB is more or less OK (around 20dB headroom). But only 85 dB is quite low for some music genres or some folks.

EDIT @swbf2cheater: it seemed that we were writing simultaneously.

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #817 of 1,779
I tried it out of the ipod and it worked but needs a good amp to drive them and get the most out of them. Fang clarified the cable. it is being shipped with silver cable. The review pair I was sent has an HE6 OCC single ended copper cable. He told me the facotry sent a batch out with the OCC HE6 cable first.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #818 of 1,779
Thanks for the informative responses guys, that really helps me get a handle on how much power the HE-500 needs. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #819 of 1,779
Quote:
I tried it out of the ipod and it worked but needs a good amp to drive them and get the most out of them. Fang clarified the cable. it is being shipped with silver cable. The review pair I was sent has an HE6 OCC single ended copper cable. He told me the facotry sent a batch out with the OCC HE6 cable first.

So, basically if we buy now...  We might or might not get a silver cable / might or might not get a OCC HE6-like cable.  There's nothing like certainty.
ph34r.gif

The OCC cable will be more flexible than the silver one right?

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #820 of 1,779

Quote:
So, basically if we buy now...  We might or might not get a silver cable / might or might not get a OCC HE6-like cable.  There's nothing like certainty.
ph34r.gif

The OCC cable will be more flexible than the silver one right?

I am not sure about more flexible. Both appear very thin in the same type of jacket. I believe fang said a batch was sent out with the OCC copper but they are shipping the silver now. Both should be about the same as far as flexibility. This one is super light which I like in an cable.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #821 of 1,779

Quote:
Have you heard back from Headroom yet?

they replied me saying that they are not sure and they have to check their current stock, hopefully they will get back to me soon 

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #823 of 1,779
The cardas is actually quite good sound wise but ergonomics sucks big time

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #825 of 1,779
I have the HE-4 and I am getting the HE-500. Can't take the recessed mids. So I am getting rid of them. But it is a great headphone (why I bought it in the first place).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back