HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #706 of 1,779

Just received HE-500 few days ago, and it is indeed worthy upgrade from HD-600 I've been using for years (except comfort).

Did anybody do a comparison between Schiit Asgard and Lyr used with HE-500 ??
I'm using Asgard as my amp right now and very curious how Lyr would sound.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #707 of 1,779
The Lyr and the HE-500 play very nice together. It would be a combination I would be happy with.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #710 of 1,779
I am thoroughly enjoying my HE-500s.  They are more than a small step up from the HE-300s that I am coming from.  I was skeptical that they would be worth the 3X price but I can happily report that they are in every way.

One odd thing I've noticed is that they sound much better out of my DACport directly than using it as a DAC source for my Perreaux SHX-1.  The amp has always been very transparent and has 7v RMS (22v peak to peak) and almost 2 watts per channel output as opposed to the DACport's lesser power.  I was expecting the SHX-1 to add much more depth and impact to dynamic passages but it seems to tame the bass slightly and impart a veil on the mids and highs.  Could the 10 ohm output on the DACport vs the near 0 ohm output on the SHX-1 be coloring the sound somewhat.  Is the DACport not good as a source for an amp? 

Has anyone here used the DACport with their HE-500?  I would not be against switching DACs and/or amps for an improvement but the way it sounds now, it seems hard to believe the sound could improve much more.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #714 of 1,779
I'm impressed with the HE-500. Just had it for a few hours, but it's very nice. Have only tried it with the Lafigaro 339 amp so far, I'll try it with the Violectric V100 tomorrow
Happy listener!

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #716 of 1,779
They are not. HE-500 is (slightly) less efficient.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #717 of 1,779
Heya,

He-500's are not as efficient as LCD's. However, they can be powered by portable devices. I was able to have pretty good sound coming from a Hifiman HM101 for example. I prefer it on my Lyr though. You can tell right away how much power there is, when you hear the low end off the Lyr compared to something with less juice. The HE-500's definitely like some serious power though, they are not that sleepy, but they definitely wake up with a lot of watts.

Very best,

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #718 of 1,779

Quote:
They are not. HE-500 is (slightly) less efficient.

I haven't heard the HE500 but that's what I thought. Have either if you compared the efficiency of the HE500 to the HD800?

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #719 of 1,779
Too long ago since I had the HD800, so I can't say for sure. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #720 of 1,779

Quote:
I am thoroughly enjoying my HE-500s.  They are more than a small step up from the HE-300s that I am coming from.  I was skeptical that they would be worth the 3X price but I can happily report that they are in every way.

One odd thing I've noticed is that they sound much better out of my DACport directly than using it as a DAC source for my Perreaux SHX-1.  The amp has always been very transparent and has 7v RMS (22v peak to peak) and almost 2 watts per channel output as opposed to the DACport's lesser power.  I was expecting the SHX-1 to add much more depth and impact to dynamic passages but it seems to tame the bass slightly and impart a veil on the mids and highs.  Could the 10 ohm output on the DACport vs the near 0 ohm output on the SHX-1 be coloring the sound somewhat.  Is the DACport not good as a source for an amp? 

Has anyone here used the DACport with their HE-500?  I would not be against switching DACs and/or amps for an improvement but the way it sounds now, it seems hard to believe the sound could improve much more.

The DACport works pretty well with the HE-500, but the DACport feeding the EF5 amp is even better, in my experience.  I'm not sure how well the DACport pairs with your amp, when using the DACport as a DAC/preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back