Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,996 of 3,507
The IE800 and CK100Pro have a bit more detail, but those are pricier as well. Not sure I know something @ 100 USD that have more detail. The FXD70 and FXD80 have pretty good detail, but is presented in a sharper and brighter way.

Wow that goes to show the quality in these tiny $99 headphones.

So about the muffle, does that have a name? Any reason for it? As good as they sound it just seems like these iems true potential are behind that muffle, its like there is something covering it and once gone the clarity to reveal itself.

Hard to explain.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,997 of 3,507
Wow that goes to show the quality in these tiny $99 headphones.

So about the muffle, does that have a name? Any reason for it? As good as they sound it just seems like these iems true potential are behind that muffle, its like there is something covering it and once gone the clarity to reveal itself.

Hard to explain.

There is just not enough treble energy to fill in the edges of voices and instruments. Try adding a simple EQ boosting the treble and see what happens. I wish there was a TB_EZQ app you could use on an iPhone. Not as good as a custom EQ curve but that simple thing just transforms these babies. These respond well to EQ.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,998 of 3,507
Ok so after listening all day I have decided I will return them.

Great headphones for $99 but there are a few things I am not a fan of.

1.muffled sound.
2.Too small, I actually like the fit bigger iems.
3.while light they feel like they will end up breaking cord wise.

Overall the sound is good and they are great at $99 but I need a little more.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,002 of 3,507
Ok so after listening all day I have decided I will return them.

Great headphones for $99 but there are a few things I am not a fan of.

1.muffled sound.
2.Too small, I actually like the fit bigger iems.
3.while light they feel like they will end up breaking cord wise.

Overall the sound is good and they are great at $99 but I need a little more.

I own the re400 and also dislike the muffled sound. Other than that it's a great earphone, and the sound sig is addictive. I have heard XBA3 and would probably prefer them as well. IEM I listen to mostly is ER4S at work and on public transport. I don't think the build quality of re400 would hold up with daily use on transport, like my re0 that died.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,003 of 3,507
Just made a curious discovery, I actually prefer the sound without the inside foam and only one filter.

EDIT: I take that back.
The default configuration makes the highs a bit laid back and adds quantity to the bass, and the mids seem generally a bit forward, the highs are more laid-back and not harsh at all.

No foam and one filter makes the bass punchy but makes some songs seriously lacking the authority it needs. However, it brings the highs forward pretty much at the same level as the vocals (and makes detail easier to perceive), and may become a bit harsh for some users.

No foam and 2 filters makes the bass seriously punchy, I love it, and has authority and the highs are not laid back. However, it has a serious down side for me, it seems muffle the sound and and gives less detail.

I went back to the default, some songs just need that bass.

Also, the tips that came with it seem really weird for me, most of them (not counting the small ones) seem to fit alright and offer a good sound...for a few hours. They all start slipping off my left ear, this becomes so bad to the point that my righ ear can ear bass and left one doesn't.

I'm using some biflanges I bought on ebay years ago, thank god they don't give me this problem.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2,004 of 3,507
The jack/cord interface on my RE-400 failed, rendering partial audio channels popping in and out. I got them in July and used them pretty lightly. I otherwise like them well enough so plan to exchange them. Any confirmation that the jack/cord have been improved with new units?

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,006 of 3,507
No, unfortunately...
Welcome to the club though... 2 months ago... Now the cable is internally breaking down ;/

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,007 of 3,507
I though they addressed the reported cable problems with the most recent units?  It apparently was a QC issue.  Either way, I'm torn by the cable itself.  Anyone who's tried the RE-600 would likely agree that it's cable feels more durable in comparison, but I disliked that the TRRS plug was straight instead of angled because that can put more pressure right past the strain relief.  I feel like I have to be extra careful with my RE-400 compared to any other IEM I've had because of this potential problem, but re-termination of the TRS plug is an easy fix...if there is a problem in the driver housing, that's another story (I've not seen them opened up yet).  The cables past the y-junction are nice and flexible, but perhaps a little too much for piece of mind.  Re-cable would be ideal because they sound great 
cool.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,008 of 3,507
I though they addressed the reported cable problems with the most recent units?  It apparently was a QC issue.  Either way, I'm torn by the cable itself.  Anyone who's tried the RE-600 would likely agree that it's cable feels more durable in comparison, but I disliked that the TRRS plug was straight instead of angled because that can put more pressure right past the strain relief.  I feel like I have to be extra careful with my RE-400 compared to any other IEM I've had because of this potential problem, but re-termination of the TRS plug is an easy fix...if there is a problem in the driver housing, that's another story (I've not seen them opened up yet).  The cables past the y-junction are nice and flexible, but perhaps a little too much for piece of mind.  Re-cable would be ideal because they sound great :cool:  

I think the RE-600S is supposed to be terminated with an angled TRS cable.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,009 of 3,507
I think the RE-600S is supposed to be terminated with an angled TRS cable.

The TRRS is straight, the TRRS to TRS adapter is an angled terminated cable. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2,010 of 3,507

The IE800 and CK100Pro have a bit more detail, but those are pricier as well. Not sure I know something @ 100 USD that have more detail. The FXD70 and FXD80 have pretty good detail, but is presented in a sharper and brighter way.

interesting 

i actually found that they have sublime detail its magnificent

but the jvc fxd 80 and 70 are bassier right? more v shaped? how vshaped in your opinion compare to the re400s. i have the monster turbines and their very heavy in the low end but i yearn for a bit more detail (their nice average imo for detail, i use them as fun iems

but is it possible to be fun and detailed at the same time? i'm trying to find that fine line

Users who are viewing this thread

Back