Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Oct 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,026 of 3,507
How does the RE-400 respond to a bass boost using the EQ? Does it upset the balance completely? I like hearing some extra rumble in certain tracks. So, if I up the bass a bit, can the drivers deliver? (without taking a hit in the rest of the spectrum)

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,028 of 3,507
  How does the RE-400 respond to a bass boost using the EQ? Does it upset the balance completely? I like hearing some extra rumble in certain tracks. So, if I up the bass a bit, can the drivers deliver? (without taking a hit in the rest of the spectrum)

They have virtually no distortion by default, so I suspect that adding EQ to the low end will not cause audible distortion (unless you up it by a ton that is).  No harm in trying it out - it will 'upset the balance' of the stock signature, but that can be said about any EQ in any scenario really.  I think you should get decent results, but I can't say if you'll achieve a rumble effect for sure.  While I've not tried any EQ on my RE-400 yet, when I had the RE-ZERO they responded well to some low end EQ (as I always desired a bit more warmth with them).  What will you be using to EQ with?

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,029 of 3,507
  They have virtually no distortion by default, so I suspect that adding EQ to the low end will not cause audible distortion (unless you up it by a ton that is).  No harm in trying it out - it will 'upset the balance' of the stock signature, but that can be said about any EQ in any scenario really.  I think you should get decent results, but I can't say if you'll achieve a rumble effect for sure.  While I've not tried any EQ on my RE-400 yet, when I had the RE-ZERO they responded well to some low end EQ (as I always desired a bit more warmth with them).  What will you be using to EQ with?

Thank you for your reply.

A part of my music collection consists of hip-hop instrumentals and it would be great to know I can boost the low end without distorting it. I do most of my listening on a rockboxed clip+.

As an example : In the following track, there's a bass note just after the 8th second. I want to "feel" that bit. I imagine on the RE-400 I could hear it, but not "feel it". If it wouldn't be too much of a bother could you listen to the first 10 or 12 seconds and tell me your impression? I'd be very grateful.

Reason I want to purchase the RE-400 : I only owned <50$, V shaped iems in the past and they've left me wanting when listening to certain kinds of music. I have 100$s this time round and I want this to be my entry into the relatively balanced world. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #2,031 of 3,507
  You may want to keep an eye out on the classifieds for them, as they go for around $90 - $110 usually these days.  I don't mind that they don't have detachable cables because the stock cable is probably the best I've seen on an IEM yet.  The GR07 is a bit more resolving in the treble, so it's a bit brighter and is prone to some slight sibilance (it's a bit more peaky around 10khz) but after some usage and break-in it smooths out a bit.  Sony Hybrids work best on the GR07, the nozzle is too narrow for the RE-400 and it will have an effect on the treble mostly, making it darker/bassier and altering the tone a hair.  The RE-400 is less fatiguing overall, but both can be and it is dependent on listening volume mostly because both are fairly neutral.  On my RE-400 I use some Meelectronics single flange tips currently (wide nozzle, same diameter as the filter basically) or the 'hybrid double flange' type tips:

http://head-direct.com/images/product_images/2013-08-12/b8d533cd917e7371743c8f7de32225ca/00-58-37742-4ac1e3f4b94d81d82cea42ebf448a29e.jpg (bottom pair, also wide nozzle opening)

Both are very good, equals I would say in most regards.  Definitely enjoy the mids and slightly softer treble of the RE-400 most, but the bass and speed of the GR07 are nice as well...each has it's purpose in my collection. 
cool.gif

personally i don't trust buying used headphones, i recently purchased a pair of monster turbines, they sound fine but the shell or the housing separated a bit( i superglued the opening and pushed it together) its okay now but still

plus if the cable has been tugged a lot, you can't see it in pictures, the actual housing looks fine but u cant see the abuse the cables went through

i would rather buy new just my 2cents

totally agree with that! i have since changed now from the sony hybrids makes it tooo weird

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,032 of 3,507

tried it on the iphone preset and through my fiio e6 (blue setting  or eq 3) separately i might add

the bass becomes too muddy 

i can see the subbass getting a boost without huge detriment, but it would affect the transperancy of the sound becomes too thick sounding, and not as airy or articulate

i leave it uneqed

but because its neutral or close, you can eq it however you like it (why i like neutral headphones) 

ex if you need more isolation or more bass on certain songs, flip on the eq otherwise

its perfect as is to my ears

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,033 of 3,507
  tried it on the iphone preset and through my fiio e6 (blue setting  or eq 3) separately i might add

the bass becomes too muddy 

i can see the subbass getting a boost without huge detriment, but it would affect the transperancy of the sound becomes too thick sounding, and not as airy or articulate

i leave it uneqed

but because its neutral or close, you can eq it however you like it (why i like neutral headphones) 

ex if you need more isolation or more bass on certain songs, flip on the eq otherwise

its perfect as is to my ears

So if EQed correctly they're capable of some extra punch.

Would it be right in assuming that a 'rumble' will not be possible on iems with short bass decay? 
  I added about 4dB to the low pass and it sounded fine

4dB to the low pass and the mids were unaffected? That's awesome. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,034 of 3,507

Thank you for your reply.

A part of my music collection consists of hip-hop instrumentals and it would be great to know I can boost the low end without distorting it. I do most of my listening on a rockboxed clip+.

As an example : In the following track, there's a bass note just after the 8th second. I want to "feel" that bit. I imagine on the RE-400 I could hear it, but not "feel it". If it wouldn't be too much of a bother could you listen to the first 10 or 12 seconds and tell me your impression? I'd be very grateful.

Reason I want to purchase the RE-400 : I only owned <50$, V shaped iems in the past and they've left me wanting when listening to certain kinds of music. I have 100$s this time round and I want this to be my entry into the relatively balanced world. 

I'll give it a try this evening as I've also got a Rockbox'd Clip+ - need to track down this track so I can load it.  Worst case scenario I can test it out on my Galaxy SIII.  Also good to note, bass response on these rely pretty heavily on a good seal, otherwise they can sound pretty flat.  You may also want to consider reading up on the Vsonic VSD1 as well.  I've not heard these yet, but I have their bigger brother (GR07) and I think at their current price they may be a good option.  Joker just posted a write up about it on innerfidelity yesterday:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/more-less-vsonic-vsd1-and-vsd1s

Still has a mild V-Shape (less so with the VSD1S variation) but seems like a top contender in the sub-$100 range nevertheless.  I like the RE-400 most for it's mids personally, but it can fare well as an all-arounder.

personally i don't trust buying used headphones, i recently purchased a pair of monster turbines, they sound fine but the shell or the housing separated a bit( i superglued the opening and pushed it together) its okay now but still

plus if the cable has been tugged a lot, you can't see it in pictures, the actual housing looks fine but u cant see the abuse the cables went through

i would rather buy new just my 2cents

totally agree with that! i have since changed now from the sony hybrids makes it tooo weird

I got very lucky on my MKII because it was a risk purchasing from Amazon Marketplace as listed in 'good' condition.  I think the description was talking about the box, which is in sub-optimal condition on the outside.  The IEMs themselves and accessories though looked brand new inside...a pleasant surprise.  I think for me it depends but I typically prefer to buy new if I can, but aesthetics are not always top priority and I knew that the GR07 was pretty durable ahead of time because I previously owned one.  In most cases, you are right and it's especially difficult to evaluate with IEMs.  I think the pair I got were for someone evaluating them, deciding they didn't like them and returning them in a short time period - there is virtually no wear.  As always, when buying used you must take precautions and expect an item to be in used condition...but I baby my babies 
tongue.gif

I think the only narrow bore tips that work decently with these are the stock double flange tips - they help to attenuate the treble slightly, but I still feel the tips with wider openings sound best.  Also, the Auvio 'Sony Hybrid-esque' tips you can find at Radioshack work decently as well.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,035 of 3,507

Would it be right in assuming that a 'rumble' will not be possible on iems with short bass decay? 

You will get a slight rumble depending on the track, which can be good in some ways depending on your preference or what you're listening to.  There are other IEMs with shorter decay, but these are definitely not bassy, only mildly warm and a bit dry overall.  We'll see how it goes after I've had a chance to test it out a bit with some EQ 
cool.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,036 of 3,507
  I'll give it a try this evening as I've also got a Rockbox'd Clip+ - need to track down this track so I can load it.  Worst case scenario I can test it out on my Galaxy SIII.  Also good to note, bass response on these rely pretty heavily on a good seal, otherwise they can sound pretty flat.  You may also want to consider reading up on the Vsonic VSD1 as well.  I've not heard these yet, but I have their bigger brother (GR07) and I think at their current price they may be a good option.  Joker just posted a write up about it on innerfidelity yesterday:

Still has a mild V-Shape (less so with the VSD1S variation) but seems like a top contender in the sub-$100 range nevertheless.  I like the RE-400 most for it's mids personally, but it can fare well as an all-arounder.

I got very lucky on my MKII because it was a risk purchasing from Amazon Marketplace as listed in 'good' condition.  I think the description was talking about the box, which is in sub-optimal condition on the outside.  The IEMs themselves and accessories though looked brand new inside...a pleasant surprise.  I think for me it depends but I typically prefer to buy new if I can, but aesthetics are not always top priority and I knew that the GR07 was pretty durable ahead of time because I previously owned one.  In most cases, you are right and it's especially difficult to evaluate with IEMs.  I think the pair I got were for someone evaluating them, deciding they didn't like them and returning them in a short time period - there is virtually no wear.  As always, when buying used you must take precautions and expect an item to be in used condition...but I baby my babies 
tongue.gif

I think the only narrow bore tips that work decently with these are the stock double flange tips - they help to attenuate the treble slightly, but I still feel the tips with wider openings sound best.  Also, the Auvio 'Sony Hybrid-esque' tips you can find at Radioshack work decently as well.

haha i know who to buy used iems from now!! not everyone treats their stuff with care (we're one of the few) my buddies rip through their iems so fast (always the headphone jack) and sometimes the connection to the housing (they pull on the cables when taking them out in a hurry (which is most of the time)

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #2,037 of 3,507

tongue.gif

the bore opening on the stock biflanges are considered "narrow"??? everything else i have in my collection is narrower than that! the hybrid one included has a huge bore! that makes the entire sound very lean and helps with the treble and percieved airiness even more

i'm currently using these: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Awei-Replacement-Silicone-In-Ear-Tips-Eartips-Earbuds-Ear-Sleeves-M-Size-Blue-/190828446767?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2c6e43042f&_uhb=1

i got the bright red, the silcone is not as pliable as the sony hybrids a bit stiffer, but not uncomfortable for me

their not as narrow as the sony hybrids, but not as wide as the biflanges (so far anyway, i find i switch back often but right now i'm happy with them) they seal well for me, and are dirt cheap (i paid like 6 cents including shipping, and it got to me in toronto in like 2 1/2 weeks from china) Can't complain

their in between the two in terms of sound, not as dark/warm as the sony hybrids (killing the upper treble extension) but not as lean and airy as the stock biflange

i feel its still lean but has enough weight for me =)

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,038 of 3,507

i haven't come across a iem that has short bass decay while having that rumble

the re400s decay is medium imo i heard faster and slower too 

my turbines have a bigger rumble but it feels a bit slow-medium because of the huge bass, if it wasn't as big i think i would percieve it similar to the re400s. plus the bass is not as tight as the re400s 

re400s is just as it is a lean sounding, very slight warmish tone (with the stock biflange), transperent sound. if you want more bass try narrower tips first before playing with eq

like sony hybrids or the ones i posted above its called "awei replacement tips" go find your size (its cheap to play around with) and i haven't come across a decent eq app that makes my iems sound better, it always ruins something when i fix something else, the sound is a "unnatural" plus the only one i did like eats away at my battery so much its ridiculous unless ur charging while listening

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,039 of 3,507
   the bore opening on the stock biflanges are considered "narrow"??? everything else i have in my collection is narrower than that! the hybrid one included has a huge bore! that makes the entire sound very lean and helps with the treble and percieved airiness even more

i'm currently using these: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Awei-Replacement-Silicone-In-Ear-Tips-Eartips-Earbuds-Ear-Sleeves-M-Size-Blue-/190828446767?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2c6e43042f&_uhb=1

i got the bright red, the silcone is not as pliable as the sony hybrids a bit stiffer, but not uncomfortable for me

their not as narrow as the sony hybrids, but not as wide as the biflanges (so far anyway, i find i switch back often but right now i'm happy with them) they seal well for me, and are dirt cheap (i paid like 6 cents including shipping, and it got to me in toronto in like 2 1/2 weeks from china) Can't complain

their in between the two in terms of sound, not as dark/warm as the sony hybrids (killing the upper treble extension) but not as lean and airy as the stock biflange

i feel its still lean but has enough weight for me =)

I meant the mini double flange (where the flanges are close to one another) and not the larger double flange, if that's what you mean.  I know HiFiMan recommends those and they do sound good (and I can get a pretty good seal too) but I think larger bore tips just work a bit better.  Those tips look good and inexpensive, and maybe similar to the stock hybrids that came with my GR07 - I ended up with a ton of left over tips from when I had my RE-ZERO, mostly from Meelectronics, that all fit the RE-400 perfectly.  Most IEMs are prone to changes with different tips, so that's a relatively inexpensive way to passively tune the sound and comfort to your liking 
biggrin.gif
 Man, I've tried so many different tips in my universal IEM journey lol.  I think my next portable purchase is going to be cIEM and just get it over with... 
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,040 of 3,507

Much appreciated. Is there any legal way I can send you a sample of the track? Maybe if I send you only the first twenty seconds?
Another track that requires rumble to be enjoyed is the "Intro of Breaking Bad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMt1ILTzCac
The rumble envelopes and packages it into what it should be like. Theres a link to the flac file in the description of the video. I guess that's legal?

I've been eyeing the VSD1S. But I wanted my next iem to blow my V shaped mind. 
redface.gif

Hadn't read |joker|s writeup. Thanks for that. Might get this for my girl though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back