Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Oct 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2,011 of 3,507
i was wondering if anyone here doesn't need their medium biflange that comes stock (installed on the re400) i'll gladly pay for them

just let me know how much shipping is to toronto canada

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #2,012 of 3,507
No, unfortunately...
Welcome to the club though... 2 months ago... Now the cable is internally breaking down ;/

omg please don't say that i love them! i baby them so much! they've been tugged maybe less than 5 times accidently

they go back into the case 9.5/10 times 

i did get the later units i expect ( i got the case and the extra eartips) hopefully this isn't an issue PLEASE!!! =(

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #2,013 of 3,507
  omg please don't say that i love them! i baby them so much! they've been tugged maybe less than 5 times accidently

they go back into the case 9.5/10 times 

i did get the later units i expect ( i got the case and the extra eartips) hopefully this isn't an issue PLEASE!!! =(

I love them too!
But the cable is spoiling the fun for me :/
I am afraid to move when I wear them cause any significant cable movements cause me to lose my left channel/driver :/
Going on for repairs soon :/
Going portable full-size though, but these are keepers once they are fixed/exchanged.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #2,014 of 3,507
You can add me to the 'purchased the RE-400 in July and have had the cord fail' club. 

I'll be sending them back and I really do hope they've fixed the issue in QA.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,015 of 3,507
interesting 

i actually found that they have sublime detail its magnificent

but the jvc fxd 80 and 70 are bassier right? more v shaped? how vshaped in your opinion compare to the re400s. i have the monster turbines and their very heavy in the low end but i yearn for a bit more detail (their nice average imo for detail, i use them as fun iems

but is it possible to be fun and detailed at the same time? i'm trying to find that fine line

The etymotic hf5 is likely as detailed as you'll get for ~$100. You could try the mc5 as well. These are both not v-shaped signatures. Bass mids and treble are presented evenly.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,016 of 3,507
The etymotic hf5 is likely as detailed as you'll get for ~$100. You could try the mc5 as well. These are both not v-shaped signatures. Bass mids and treble are presented evenly.

i would actually like more bass and maybe not more treble ( about the same)

i recently purchased the monster turbines for a pair of "fun sounding" yet fairly detailed

they are definitely "fun sounding" a bit too much "fun" for me.. haha, if they can have the same mids, slightly less subbass, just a tad more midbass and more tighter overall bass , with the same treble as the turbines i think i found it! for a fun yet detailed sound to me. 

but it has to be fast! to me the re400s are like a medium speed, not too fast but not slow right in the middle

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,017 of 3,507
i would actually like more bass and maybe not more treble ( about the same)

i recently purchased the monster turbines for a pair of "fun sounding" yet fairly detailed

they are definitely "fun sounding" a bit too much "fun" for me.. haha, if they can have the same mids, slightly less subbass, just a tad more midbass and more tighter overall bass , with the same treble as the turbines i think i found it! for a fun yet detailed sound to me. 

but it has to be fast! to me the re400s are like a medium speed, not too fast but not slow right in the middle

GR07 is what you want. :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,018 of 3,507
GR07 is what you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Treble is a bit different between the two - GR07 has a bit more sparkle and is a bit brighter in direct comparison (at least for me anyway).  Other than that, they'd be perfect for him it sounds 
cool.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #2,020 of 3,507
  Well, got my RE-400s today, the bundle has been vastly improved.

You now get a carrying case, two sets of comply foam tips, and 4 extra sets of assorted tips

They sent these to me for free when I asked them. Since I was one of the first adopters with the old, spartan packaging

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,021 of 3,507
  Treble is a bit different between the two - GR07 has a bit more sparkle and is a bit brighter in direct comparison (at least for me anyway).  Other than that, they'd be perfect for him it sounds 
cool.gif

GR07 is what you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

dam it i knew it! from reading the threads and reviews it sounded like it! i just couldn't justify spending that much for an iem! especially one without detachable cables (i can see one day something tugs on it and then it cuts out) i dunno how to recable or who in toronto that would recable it for me

the re400s for me was a very very very cautious purchase after hearing about the cable issue and durablity (i paid 119 before tax for them at a shop here in toronto) plus a 1 year warranty. (plus it was the only place i could demo it)

i think some of the bass issue and the treble got resolved, at least some, i think the gr07 is still probably perfect for me (i was hesitant to try the sony hybrids on them, even though i have a lot lying around) i was afraid of losing the detail and the transperant sound of the re400s that makes it so fantastic

i was listening to them for what like 4 hours today at school while doing project, and after a while i felt that the highs started to fatigue my ears, i had to take a break for a while afterwards. their not harsh, like the s4s this was just maybe because i was listening to long and the sound is very lean

after some listening now A/Bing the stock biflange and the sony hybrids (orange), a lot of the detail is still there, the sound got a bit thicker, bass got slight bump and the treble i dunno how to describe it, stronger, emphasized?? its not as airy as before, but maybe just a little faster?

my guess is probably the combination of the silicone plus the narrower opening on the sony hybrids warming up the sound a bit ( i could use the extra little bass while commuting anyway)

for now i'll stick with this and see how i like it in the long haul,
what tips do you guys use?

on the off note, i put the re400 biflange on my monster turbines (it toned down the bass,it had a bit too much for me to begin with) and i suspect open the upper midrange and lower treble) maybe thats why its more airy, female vocals is definitely more intoxicating now. haha

win win?? =0

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,022 of 3,507
  Well, got my RE-400s today, the bundle has been vastly improved.

You now get a carrying case, two sets of comply foam tips, and 4 extra sets of assorted tips

i never got the complys!!!!! whats going on!!! mann i got the extra tips, but those are soo massive, that they will never fit my ears.! i can take a picture to show you a size comparison its kinda scary how big they go!

they were easily the largest ones that i ever came across

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,023 of 3,507
cool.gif

that actually sounds like something i really think i would like =) at least probably the mk2 one ( after the klipsch image s4 i can't take silbant/ harsh highes) and i love the look (very classy black (i usually never like black) and professional looking and the pivot mechanism.

i'll probably feel like a musician and start singing out loud in public =P

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,025 of 3,507
dam it i knew it! from reading the threads and reviews it sounded like it! i just couldn't justify spending that much for an iem! especially one without detachable cables (i can see one day something tugs on it and then it cuts out) i dunno how to recable or who in toronto that would recable it for me

the re400s for me was a very very very cautious purchase after hearing about the cable issue and durablity (i paid 119 before tax for them at a shop here in toronto) plus a 1 year warranty. (plus it was the only place i could demo it)

i think some of the bass issue and the treble got resolved, at least some, i think the gr07 is still probably perfect for me (i was hesitant to try the sony hybrids on them, even though i have a lot lying around) i was afraid of losing the detail and the transperant sound of the re400s that makes it so fantastic

i was listening to them for what like 4 hours today at school while doing project, and after a while i felt that the highs started to fatigue my ears, i had to take a break for a while afterwards. their not harsh, like the s4s this was just maybe because i was listening to long and the sound is very lean

after some listening now A/Bing the stock biflange and the sony hybrids (orange), a lot of the detail is still there, the sound got a bit thicker, bass got slight bump and the treble i dunno how to describe it, stronger, emphasized?? its not as airy as before, but maybe just a little faster?

my guess is probably the combination of the silicone plus the narrower opening on the sony hybrids warming up the sound a bit ( i could use the extra little bass while commuting anyway)

for now i'll stick with this and see how i like it in the long haul,
what tips do you guys use?

on the off note, i put the re400 biflange on my monster turbines (it toned down the bass,it had a bit too much for me to begin with) and i suspect open the upper midrange and lower treble) maybe thats why its more airy, female vocals is definitely more intoxicating now. haha

win win?? =0

You may want to keep an eye out on the classifieds for them, as they go for around $90 - $110 usually these days.  I don't mind that they don't have detachable cables because the stock cable is probably the best I've seen on an IEM yet.  The GR07 is a bit more resolving in the treble, so it's a bit brighter and is prone to some slight sibilance (it's a bit more peaky around 10khz) but after some usage and break-in it smooths out a bit.  Sony Hybrids work best on the GR07, the nozzle is too narrow for the RE-400 and it will have an effect on the treble mostly, making it darker/bassier and altering the tone a hair.  The RE-400 is less fatiguing overall, but both can be and it is dependent on listening volume mostly because both are fairly neutral.  On my RE-400 I use some Meelectronics single flange tips currently (wide nozzle, same diameter as the filter basically) or the 'hybrid double flange' type tips:

http://head-direct.com/images/product_images/2013-08-12/b8d533cd917e7371743c8f7de32225ca/00-58-37742-4ac1e3f4b94d81d82cea42ebf448a29e.jpg (bottom pair, also wide nozzle opening)

Both are very good, equals I would say in most regards.  Definitely enjoy the mids and slightly softer treble of the RE-400 most, but the bass and speed of the GR07 are nice as well...each has it's purpose in my collection. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back