Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Sep 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,969 of 3,507
Thats really incredible....

Im sold, im gonna order them soon, if these had better build and a mic I probably wouldnt even consider anything else on the market lol

What about the 600's? THAT much better SQ? Also is the build an issue as well, for a $99 pair im ok if the build might not be amazing but for a $400 pair that would be simply unaccepable imo (ue900).

No the RE-600 does not have that much better SQ. In the world of diminishing returns, price difference never equals SQ improvement, I'd say you get some extra extension on both ends and a bit more air and soundstage. Say 25% better max, maybe less.
The build is unfortunately very similar, which does not help [that bloody cable...]
On the RE-400 it's acceptable [I already had that cable changed once, and it's dropping out again... Say quality cable] but with RE-600, I find that ridiculous...
I just can't understand why is it so much trouble to make a good cable for them?
Use a bit thicker wires, sleeve it, ruberize it and add a ONE-PIECE 1/8 jack... next time, Hifiman, please... 

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,970 of 3,507

No the RE-600 does not have that much better SQ. In the world of diminishing returns, price difference never equals SQ improvement, I'd say you get some extra extension on both ends and a bit more air and soundstage. Say 25% better max, maybe less.
The build is unfortunately very similar, which does not help [that bloody cable...]
On the RE-400 it's acceptable [I already had that cable changed once, and it's dropping out again... Say quality cable] but with RE-600, I find that ridiculous...
I just can't understand why is it so much trouble to make a good cable for them?
Use a bit thicker wires, sleeve it, ruberize it and add a ONE-PIECE 1/8 jack... next time, Hifiman, please... 

Unfortunate. They got the SQ down, now they just need the build....

Im sure the hardcore audiophile would notice the difference but for it seems like the 400's are gonna do the job, thanks for the info!

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,971 of 3,507
I ended up being able to do a quick comparison.  I have the 600's and bought the 400's as a gift.  To me the 400's immediately struck me as being more "exciting", with a V-shaped sound, especially the highs. More "in your face" maybe?  The 600's in comparison sound to me as being more balanced (maybe a little mid-centric?) and laid back, smoother.  But still not lacking lows/highs - they just sound more integrated.  I prefer the 600's but have to admit that the 400's were enjoyable and are a great buy at their price point.  Are the 600's worth the price differential?  Maybe not, as the diminishing returns are coming into play here.  I enjoy them though - especially paired with the HM-901. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #1,973 of 3,507
Just received the re 400 and HOLY ****!
I think I just found my signature, they definitely do not sound boring to me, but I'm used to these kind of sound signatures.

Also they just solidified my believe that I have the most average ears ever, since the tips that came on them sound good and, in terms of bass, sound exactly as the big biflanges, but they're a bit more prone to fall of my ears :p

This is the first time that I don't feel the need to mess a bit with eq, though that might be because I just received them.

Also, it came with a bunch of tips and a shell case.

I have one negative point though: the build quality. The upper part of the cable does not inspire confidence at all, too thin. (thin enough to make me a bit afraid of using it everyday)

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,975 of 3,507
fingers crossed, not sure about returns but I have heard people having successful returns with HiFiMAN.
though I think it might not be needed, they're so nice. 
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #1,977 of 3,507
I enjoy the RE400 sound with the Sony Hybrid tips over the ear. Soundwise has lots to like about it & its probably my 2nd best Hifiman IEM I have owned.
The best being the 272 amped, which is amazing for me. Havent tried the RE600 though.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,978 of 3,507
As I have repeatedly said here, I sure wish the nice folk over at Hifiman improve their cables....Such a shame that they are so delicate.
I believe if they would get the cable part right they would save loads of money with all those returns.....So please Hifiman..I believe you have nailed it with the design of your shells but still need more work on........ CABLES.......

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,979 of 3,507
so I changed the filters (the mesh on the nozzle) on my RE-600, to those of RE-262/272, and I have to say it does sound noticeably better to me. a good bit less dark and the bass changed a bit too, IMO for the better. bit more 'rounded' feeling to it. more pleasant to my ears. midrange feels a bit clearer too, but that part I found to change the least.

basically, RE-600 with RE-262/272 filters = worth trying!

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,980 of 3,507
  so I changed the filters (the mesh on the nozzle) on my RE-600, to those of RE-262/272, and I have to say it does sound noticeably better to me. a good bit less dark and the bass changed a bit too, IMO for the better. bit more 'rounded' feeling to it. more pleasant to my ears. midrange feels a bit clearer too, but that part I found to change the least.

basically, RE-600 with RE-262/272 filters = worth trying!

If I'm not mistaken the filters are all the same XD  The difference in sound might be due to the fact that you've used those filters heavily and possibly clogged them with something to change their properties acoustically.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back