Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Aug 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,831 of 3,507
Quote:
aah that's unfortunate. can you do one with your current favourite RE-600 tips quickly? just seeing if there's any improvement worth pursuing them for. 
smile.gif

thanks!

I'll do it tonight when I have the time. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,832 of 3,507
OK, I've gotten a chance to test with the Hybrids.  In contrast to the single-flange bar'd tips, they actually attenuate the lows.  This creates a perceived increase in the treble.  The Hybrids do give a little boom to the impact of the RE-600 for me though, but at the sacrifice of a little sub-bass extension (maybe due to perception in contrast to the low-bass). Lower midrange details are kind of lost with the Hybrids though, odd...  The RE-600 are warmer in general though. 

With all that said, I get better treble, it's softer and seems like it extends further, and a boomier sound. So the treble issue actually is partly remedied by the Hybrid, but it adds a bit of a boom to the sound.  The added comfort helps a bit too.  However, for overall sound, I'm sticking to the stock bar'd tips.  The Hybrids do give a fun twist to the RE-600 though.

EDIT: Sorry for the multiple edits to this post if you were reading it :p

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,833 of 3,507
The Fed-Ex man left me a nice surprise on my porch this morning.

Impressions to come soon...

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,834 of 3,507
cool, thanks!

I'm not sure if boomier is something I'd enjoy. HMM! was seal any better though?
a bit more treble could be welcome. just not sure how the overall sound would be affected by more boominess. softer...
I'll see if I can actually try it for myself though. didn't see them at the Sony store, but I doubt they'd even let me try. 
redface.gif

also, two friends of mine recently got the RE-400 and love them. one coming from RE-0, one having HD555 since before. 
smile.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,835 of 3,507
Unpacked my RE400's last night. One channel barely audible, straight from the box. Seriously, that's not good enough. They are offering to replace. They've given me a couple of addresses to return them to. Aren't I lucky! What a load of crap.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,836 of 3,507
Quote:
cool, thanks!

I'm not sure if boomier is something I'd enjoy. HMM! was seal any better though?
a bit more treble could be welcome. just not sure how the overall sound would be affected by more boominess. softer...
I'll see if I can actually try it for myself though. didn't see them at the Sony store, but I doubt they'd even let me try. 
redface.gif

also, two friends of mine recently got the RE-400 and love them. one coming from RE-0, one having HD555 since before. 
smile.gif

Most electronics stores have them.  I know I've seen them at Best Buy before XD  All Sony Stores should have them too, you just need to find them or ask where they are.  Or you can purchase online.  A pack of multi-size (they only come in multi-size :frowning2: ) is 10 bucks. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,837 of 3,507
RE-400

After about 150 hours burned in so far, I compared them to my yamaha 100sl iems and Yamaha is in my favor because of the sub bass missing from the soundstage on the 400s! The sound separation is very nice but I wouldn't call them analytical maybe?. I guess it really depends on your audio source setup. I find that they equalize into another beast with dynamic bass processing at 40% It definitely shows off the bass control in a fun way. Overall I think the potential is untapped, it almost seems flat if it weren't for the slight super minor bass hump. HIFIman has some 'splaining to do. It does everything well but in such a well mannered "meh" kind of way. :confused_face(1):

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #1,838 of 3,507
I think "flat" (to a certain extent) is what HiFiMAN was aiming to do with these. accurate reproduction, but in a less sterile way. and I think they did it well! it's inoffensive, but not boring to me. I personally find it hard to listen to very bass and treble heavy 'phones. a good midrange is fun to me.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,840 of 3,507
Quote:
RE-400

After about 150 hours burned in so far, I compared them to my yamaha 100sl iems and Yamaha is in my favor because of the sub bass missing from the soundstage on the 400s! The sound separation is very nice but I wouldn't call them analytical maybe?. I guess it really depends on your audio source setup. I find that they equalize into another beast with dynamic bass processing at 40% It definitely shows off the bass control in a fun way. Overall I think the potential is untapped, it almost seems flat if it weren't for the slight super minor bass hump. HIFIman has some 'splaining to do. It does everything well but in such a well mannered "meh" kind of way.
confused_face(1).gif

They were aiming for a relatively flat phone...  If you read any of the reviews that were written about it, you would have known this.  They avoid the coloration to the best of their abilities.  The Yamaha you have incorporate more of a v-shaped signature which is what causes the boosted sound-stage (albeit it's artificially boosted, not a good or bad thing) and sub-bass.  The signature probably is a bad match for you.

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #1,841 of 3,507
The RE400s and RE600s are kind of dull though, think due to lack of bass depth and treble energy. My also flat BDD+NE and modded 9927 make it apparent in comparison. Kind of like Ety HFs but warmer. Good sounding just one of those "safe" flat lems.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,843 of 3,507
safe's an OK word to use, it's not fatiguing. that's what I like about them, good balance - to me. they aren't lacking in detail or bass tightness etc.
but they certainly aren't as dull as Sennheiser HD650 can be, for example. I like those too though. BUT as Axel Grell may have said, he deliberately made a dip in the upper mid/lower treble where he found the most fatiguing frequency to be located.
I feel something similar was done with the RE-400 and RE-600, but with different technical strengths.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,844 of 3,507
The RE400s and RE600s are kind of dull though, think due to lack of bass depth and treble energy. My also flat BDD+NE and modded 9927 make it apparent in comparison. Kind of like Ety HFs but warmer. Good sounding just one of those "safe" flat lems.

Sounds a lot like the RE0...

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,845 of 3,507
safe's an OK word to use, it's not fatiguing. that's what I like about them, good balance - to me. they aren't lacking in detail or bass tightness etc.
but they certainly aren't as dull as Sennheiser HD650 can be, for example. I like those too though. BUT as Axel Grell may have said, he deliberately made a dip in the upper mid/lower treble where he found the most fatiguing frequency to be located.
I feel something similar was done with the RE-400 and RE-600, but with different technical strengths.

Much to my sadness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back