Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #1,816 of 3,507
Quote:
Got these today.

It's a RE262 upgrade for sure, very similar signature, midrange focused with soft treble and bass. 

RE272 upgrade? I can't compare them side-by-side, but the RE272 impressed me quite more, despite taking issue with it's bass. At most it's a RE272 sidegrade. RE272 is clearer and more airy, even though it wont have the 400s "sweetness". Will compare them side-by-side to RE400 soon, will mod RE400 to match RE600 and compare as well. 

They don't stand a chance to my BDD+NE or my modded 9927..

More details later. 

I have to say, the first thing that came to mind when I heard the RE-600 for the first time was RE-262, the description of signature just about matched up exactly despite me never hearing the RE-262 (reason why I didn't say anything).  I will agree with softer treble, but can't say it has soft bass, IMO, it's at the same level (quantity-wise) as the RE-400 (unless you consider that soft, then I'm in complete agreement). 

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,817 of 3,507
HA, I just noticed NOW that I actually had the filtered sleeves. always thought the upper row was the same as the lower.
didn't get the same as tinyman392 though.

but the small bi-flange sounds the best to me by quite a bit. stock I assume?

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #1,818 of 3,507
Quote:
HA, I just noticed NOW that I actually had the filtered sleeves. always thought the upper row was the same as the lower.
didn't get the same as tinyman392 though.

but the small bi-flange sounds the best to me by quite a bit. stock I assume?

LOL, yeah, it's always a good idea to pull everything out of the box :wink:  They might be mroe different than you think.  You didn't get the same tips?  I had an extra baggy with the cable winder, filters and additional tips (as well as Comply Foam in two separate individual baggies).  When'd you get your IEMs? 

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #1,819 of 3,507
Quote:

I have to say, the first thing that came to mind when I heard the RE-600 for the first time was RE-262, the description of signature just about matched up exactly despite me never hearing the RE-262 (reason why I didn't say anything).  I will agree with softer treble, but can't say it has soft bass, IMO, it's at the same level (quantity-wise) as the RE-400 (unless you consider that soft, then I'm in complete agreement). 

From memory it is about the same as RE400's bass, though likely with better extension than RE400 as you mention, as the driver seems electrically more damped. I consider it soft because of the slight lack of subbass, it's quite neutral though.  

It's not a bad IEM per say, but I do find it overpriced for the performance, but then again, tons of IEMs are overpriced nowadays. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #1,820 of 3,507
Quote:
From memory it is about the same as RE400's bass, though likely with better extension than RE400 as you mention, as the driver seems electrically more damped. I consider it soft because of the slight lack of subbass, it's quite neutral though.  

It's not a bad IEM per say, but I do find it overpriced for the performance, but then again, tons of IEMs are overpriced nowadays. 

OK, I can't agree with those subjective assessments.  Coming from the RE-400, I do feel it diverges from neutral (mainly due to the bump in the mids), going from a warm signature to a warm and sweet; but definitely close to neutral.

Compared to things in its price range, UE 900, W4, Phonak (above it's price range), 4.Ai I actually feel this IEM is right up there (if not better)...  However, at that price point, as you state, many things are overpriced. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #1,821 of 3,507
Agree with the first part

All those mentioned are also overpriced [can't speak for 232 though], though maybe not W4 since it blows aways the others in build and is now about 300$. UE900 could've been worth its price if it weren't so buggy. Main problem with the RE600 is ironically and potentially the RE400, ill be more definitive once I get my loaner.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #1,822 of 3,507
Quote:

LOL, yeah, it's always a good idea to pull everything out of the box :wink:  They might be mroe different than you think.  You didn't get the same tips?  I had an extra baggy with the cable winder, filters and additional tips (as well as Comply Foam in two separate individual baggies).  When'd you get your IEMs? 

well mine were all flipped upside down and pushed down into hard-to-reach holes in the foam. didn't receive any bag on the side.

this is the selection I got, and got them about a month ago. but I did get that white cable thingy as well as extra foam filters. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,823 of 3,507
well mine were all flipped upside down and pushed down into hard-to-reach holes in the foam. didn't receive any bag on the side.

this is the selection I got, and got them about a month ago. but I did get that white cable thingy as well as extra foam filters. 
biggrin.gif

I was talking about the RE-600, not the RE-400. If you were to order the RE-400 today, I believe HiFiMan includes some additional tips. The 400 I got only comes with three types: dual-flange (S/L), single filter-bar flange (S). Lol that looks like the picture I took :p

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,825 of 3,507
sorry for not being clear- I am talking about the RE-600 too. I just got the same tips as in the RE-400 picture above. 
tongue.gif

When'd you get the RE-600? Maybe the tips were added more recently (like when they decided to improve the tip selection with the RE-400).

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,828 of 3,507
Quote:
When'd you get the RE-600? Maybe the tips were added more recently (like when they decided to improve the tip selection with the RE-400).

about a month ago as previously mentioned, from the New York City event.
yeah, I'm assuming that's what happened. 
smile.gif
 but I'm really happy with the small bi-flange, so I'm not sure if the added tips are worth worrying about.

a tiny bit curious about sony hybrids though, as I've found them to have the best seal + comfort so far. 
if anyone has, I'd love to hear impressions vs the small bi-flange!

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,829 of 3,507
Quote:
about a month ago as previously mentioned, from the New York City event.
yeah, I'm assuming that's what happened. 
smile.gif
 but I'm really happy with the small bi-flange, so I'm not sure if the added tips are worth worrying about.

a tiny bit curious about sony hybrids though, as I've found them to have the best seal + comfort so far. 
if anyone has, I'd love to hear impressions vs the small bi-flange!

I do have Hybrids, but can't do that comparison, I can't get a proper seal with the small bi-flange :frowning2: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back