Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Nov 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2,056 of 3,507
  not a problem, i'm actually coming from klipsch s4 (very midbass happy) and a very harsh treble, i thought i was a basshead, but after listening to re400s they just change my entire perception of clarity transperancy sound. listening to them on tracks i thought i was very familiar with, really seemed like i was listening to them for the first time

prior to the s4s i was using cheapie pantasonic eardrops and the fontopia earbuds from sony

i thought the s4s were a revelation but the re400s really showed me how much was masked behind that midbass hump, and i never really cared about treble

but the delicate treble on the re400s i think made me a more of a treble head, without the siblance and harshness, just great extention and the precision is just remarkable

and of course the mids were able to breathe happy without that bass bump, vocals were perfectly balenced and the transition into the treble is fantastic, no real peaks and dips from what i could hear

overall i'm soo happy with the re400s but i do want to try the gr07 mkII or whatever their new revisions are, to see if they can it even a step further for more fast paced music, with some of that bass and treble bump (more excitement)

the re400s would *cross fingers* stay with me a long time and as i listen to more and more different types of music. and when i ever want to go back to a familiar song, it would take through a different journey each time, i just know it

fang bian! just saying you made the re400s a winner is an understatement!

The RE-400 has really great treble IMO - it is no less extended than the GR07, but it is smoother and (at least to my ear) more natural and realistic sounding.  The GR07 has more sparkle and presence, but is peakier as a result and as you've probably read, more prone to sibilance.  The driver of the GR07 is quicker, and the bass is of higher quality and quantity overall which is more satisfying there, I just wish the treble wasn't so harsh at times.  I do prefer the mids of the RE-400 though.  Each IEM serves it's purpose in my collection, but I have been thinking of a way to acoustically dampen the treble of the GR07, which I hope would bring the mids a bit more forward.  We'll see 
tongue.gif

I too don't plan on parting with the RE-400 any time soon!

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #2,057 of 3,507
I received my warranty replacement RE-400 last week subsequent to a cord/jack failure on my initial set. I've already forgotten precisely what the original cord looked like, but I think I can recall some differences. The jack is similar, angled, but has a somewhat shallower angle than 90°, maybe 130°, whereas the original was 90°. This seems to work slightly better with an iPhone on the go, but still not sure if it's better than straight. The single cord has a fabric texture. The forked portion has a rubbery texture that tangles easily and is otherwise a nuisance to handle compared with the original. Only used it once or twice so far so early stages and just observations rather than complaints, but thought it might be worth confirming that the cord is at least different from the problematic original. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2,058 of 3,507
I had issues with the cord which caused my right earphone to die earlier this year and received the replacement today... the extra eartips were a pleasant surprise. I noticed the jack has more rubber around it. I hope the build quality issues are sorted out.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,059 of 3,507
  I had issues with the cord which caused my right earphone to die earlier this year and received the replacement today... the extra eartips were a pleasant surprise. I noticed the jack has more rubber around it. I hope the build quality issues are sorted out.

oh no i was wondering since you got it replaced does your new replacement have 1 year warranty again? seems stupid but what the heck i figured i ask. 

this is concerning, i baby my re400s so much i never wrap it around my device and handle it so carefully taking it out of my ear by holding onto the housing and storing it case whenever i'm done. 

its been tugged maybe 3 times so far but all fairly soft tuggs like on my jacket or whatever

its a monster deal at 99$ but if the build quality is as bad as it seems to appear on these thread i would be happy to pay a bit more just to fix these issues. too much a headache to keep sending it back to manufacture

but i could kinda see the build quality problem from day 1 the cable is its weakest point, the housing feels alright the straight relief actually feels too pliable imo but the jack looks fantastic 

has anyone recabled their re400/re600 here from btg audio or other places? at this rate i think i might use to my 1 year replacement, and if it breaks i would rather recable it with something a lot sturdier and pay 100$ then buy a new re400 again (with the same cable issues re occuring)

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,060 of 3,507
I think it does have another 1 year warranty, but I haven't verified. I kind of treated by RE-400s loosely since I didn't know that people had concerns with the build quality, it seemed sturdy enough to me. I wrapped it around my phone and put em in the side pockets of my backpack. One day at school in September I was listening to 'em and I put them in my pocket and then the sound in my right earphone died. :frowning2: They served me very well throughout the summer though and I am excited to finally have them again. I want to find some time to experiment with all the different tips. Listening to them right now with the Comply T400s they came with, and boy are they comfortable, although a bit loose.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,061 of 3,507
  I think it does have another 1 year warranty, but I haven't verified. I kind of treated by RE-400s loosely since I didn't know that people had concerns with the build quality, it seemed sturdy enough to me. I wrapped it around my phone and put em in the side pockets of my backpack. One day at school in September I was listening to 'em and I put them in my pocket and then the sound in my right earphone died. :frowning2: They served me very well throughout the summer though and I am excited to finally have them again. I want to find some time to experiment with all the different tips. Listening to them right now with the Comply T400s they came with, and boy are they comfortable, although a bit loose.

could you let us know if and when you find out? just curious like i said i dun wanna wear them out thats just not me but if you can continue to get 1 year warranty that would be okay i guess for the build quality as is. still though i purchased them in canada for 119+ tax which equates to about 135$. i didn't want to wait for the shipping plus the place i got it in let me demo it too so i pulled the trigger. 

but i would've gladly paid 150 maybe 160 if they fixed the cable and made it beefier but i guess when you have to cut corners and to keep the costs low enough and still make a profit i understand.

Fang, your hurting us hifiman fans here =( better cables!!! 

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #2,062 of 3,507
After about 300 hrs spent with the RE600, and coming from Re262, Re400, and Re272, I think the Re600 are pretty awesome. 
Like I said in a previous post, they are similar in tonality to the Re272, in sweetness to the Re400, and in boldness to the Re262.
They sound great with an iphone but truly shine with a Hifiman HM801 in balanced mode... Although, it took me a little EQ tweaking on both players (+3 60Hz, +2 300Hz, -1 3KHz) to be perfectly happy : )
Worth every cent to me (all my previous Hifiman Re-xxx are now sold)

Edit: This was in response to someone asking if the Re-600 were worth the price, 10-15 pages back

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,063 of 3,507
How do the RE-400 sound with Trance music, I bet the vocals are amazing right?

I had the EPH-100 before and loved them but sometimes the mid-bass boost was a bit much, especially considering the treble wasnt that extensive... or accurate at some points.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2,064 of 3,507

I had the EPH-100 before and loved them but sometimes the mid-bass boost was a bit much, especially considering the treble wasnt that extensive... or accurate at some points.

Yup!  The EPH-100 is definitely fun for EDM but if you found it to be a bit much in the bass department, the RE-400 would be perfect IMO.  The mid presentation is excellent for vocals of any kind...the way I would describing it is 'less exciting' than the EPH-100 because of less prominent mid-bass but 'more mesmerizing' because of the midrange instrumentation and vocals.  I do like the treble on the RE-400 better than any IEM I've tried to date...it is very extensive but not overly present, never harsh or sibilant...just the right amount for me anyway.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,065 of 3,507
Yup!  The EPH-100 is definitely fun for EDM but if you found it to be a bit much in the bass department, the RE-400 would be perfect IMO.  The mid presentation is excellent for vocals of any kind...the way I would describing it is 'less exciting' than the EPH-100 because of less prominent mid-bass but 'more mesmerizing' because of the midrange instrumentation and vocals.  I do like the treble on the RE-400 better than any IEM I've tried to date...it is very extensive but not overly present, never harsh or sibilant...just the right amount for me anyway.

Excellent thanks! :D

I also like to add that for around £60 + shipping for the RE-400 makes them amazing value for money, even more so than the EPH-100!

So I will be buying them on the 20th of December, unless I can get XBA-40/UE900 or TDK BA-200 really cheap which I kinda doubt lol

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,066 of 3,507

i agree with modulor, i loved the treble the most on the re400s personally, thats because i have never heard such clear and delicate extension, and it extends very far! no siblance and no sense of harshness 

the mids are fabulous i think would be great for vocal music, was listening to adele and mariah carey (haven't listened to them since elementary school like 8 years ago) but their voices were so mesmerizing

i would be hesitant for edm ( the vocals would be great) but the bass i found was a bit lacking for beat/bass driven music. the mid bass is nice but i think it affected the bass extension a bit.

also i find the speed and the decay is very versatile but not fast for enough for edm or trance personally. thats why i have the gr07 for that

all in all i can find so many genres i can enjoy with the re400s which speaks volumes about their versatility but i think for edm and trance i think you might have to look elsewhere.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,067 of 3,507
I just had my RE600 replaced by Hifiman directly, due to wear and tear on the kevlar sheath. Just stand by a soft and hard copy of your invoice.
I emailed them directly, took less than a day for them to get back to me with request of photos of the damage and soft copy of invoice.
After that, they provided me with an address to ship to and sent out the replacement in about 3 working days after it reached them.
You just need to send the IEMs itself without any accessories and the hard copy of the invoice. Then reply to them with the tracking number.

Despite the cable quality, the customer service is top notch, I never once felt frustrated to get my point across. And of course, the comfort and sound quality is top notch.
I will buy from their products again for sure. I was served by Zhang Lu who is commutes in very good english, thus no fear of translating to Mandarin etc. One of the biggest nightmare when dealing with companies in china. Even though I am Singaporean chinese, I have difficulty writing and reading in mandarin.... =(

I think RE600 really starts to shine after min of 200 hours burn in. The treble really got better after that. I was really surprised! The treble is similar to K3003 at that point, but with better lower end to match.
I pair mine with large ortofon tips. BIG IMPROVEMENT over sound quality, comfort and isolation. I also wear mine over ear with shallow insertion depth.

I feel that it's a better all rounder than F111 and W4. And much easier to wear than both F111 and W4.
F111 breaks seal easily when walking around, even with the same ortofon tips.
BTW, I mentioned F111 and W4 as I felt they are quite similar in many ways, despite having different drivers and configurations.

Hope this information helps anyone who is worried about RMAs and warranty issues, etc with Hifiman.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,068 of 3,507
i agree with modulor, i loved the treble the most on the re400s personally, thats because i have never heard such clear and delicate extension, and it extends very far! no siblance and no sense of harshness 

the mids are fabulous i think would be great for vocal music, was listening to adele and mariah carey (haven't listened to them since elementary school like 8 years ago) but their voices were so mesmerizing

i would be hesitant for edm ( the vocals would be great) but the bass i found was a bit lacking for beat/bass driven music. the mid bass is nice but i think it affected the bass extension a bit.

also i find the speed and the decay is very versatile but not fast for enough for edm or trance personally. thats why i have the gr07 for that

all in all i can find so many genres i can enjoy with the re400s which speaks volumes about their versatility but i think for edm and trance i think you might have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for that explanation mate!

I've decided I might go for the XBA-40 instead.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,069 of 3,507
I just had my RE600 replaced by Hifiman directly, due to wear and tear on the kevlar sheath. Just stand by a soft and hard copy of your invoice.
I emailed them directly, took less than a day for them to get back to me with request of photos of the damage and soft copy of invoice.
After that, they provided me with an address to ship to and sent out the replacement in about 3 working days after it reached them.
You just need to send the IEMs itself without any accessories and the hard copy of the invoice. Then reply to them with the tracking number.

Despite the cable quality, the customer service is top notch, I never once felt frustrated to get my point across. And of course, the comfort and sound quality is top notch.
I will buy from their products again for sure. I was served by Zhang Lu who is commutes in very good english, thus no fear of translating to Mandarin etc. One of the biggest nightmare when dealing with companies in china. Even though I am Singaporean chinese, I have difficulty writing and reading in mandarin.... =(

I think RE600 really starts to shine after min of 200 hours burn in. The treble really got better after that. I was really surprised! The treble is similar to K3003 at that point, but with better lower end to match.
I pair mine with large ortofon tips. BIG IMPROVEMENT over sound quality, comfort and isolation. I also wear mine over ear with shallow insertion depth.

I feel that it's a better all rounder than F111 and W4. And much easier to wear than both F111 and W4.
F111 breaks seal easily when walking around, even with the same ortofon tips.
BTW, I mentioned F111 and W4 as I felt they are quite similar in many ways, despite having different drivers and configurations.

Hope this information helps anyone who is worried about RMAs and warranty issues, etc with Hifiman.

I fully agree here; Hifiman customer service is absolutely top notch (I'm on the same boat as you, except I'm about to get my RE-400 replaced). I've communicated with Ms. Zhang plenty of times before and things have always gone well, no questions asked. Heck, they even let me refund my RE-262 a week late because of shipping time delay.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,070 of 3,507
I've only used my RE262 for maybe 20 times on long international flights. 
After that, one ear stopped working (no ripped cord or any other issues). 

Bad investment for HIFIMAN! 20 times barely even hit 100 hrs of true use. I've only burned them in for 10 hrs. 

Contacted their customer service, they want $40 to replace bad quality cord. Of course, the earphone dies when my warranty expires. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back