Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Dec 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,071 of 3,507
I've only used my RE262 for maybe 20 times on long international flights. 

After that, one ear stopped working (no ripped cord or any other issues). 

Bad investment for HIFIMAN! 20 times barely even hit 100 hrs of true use. I've only burned them in for 10 hrs. 

Contacted their customer service, they want $40 to replace bad quality cord. Of course, the earphone dies when my warranty expires. 

Wow thats some seriously bad QC going on there.

$40 to replace it really?? They should it for free.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,072 of 3,507
I've not used other Hifiman IEMs before this thus I really can't speak for the quality and issues.
But given my experience with other brands, I think I will be happy to have it replaced for $40 when the warranty have expired.

I've encounters with some other big brands that won't even entertain me after the warranty period. They are more likely to offer me a new set with discount off the MSRP, which is more expensive than buying them from some of the trusted online vendors.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,073 of 3,507
  I fully agree here; Hifiman customer service is absolutely top notch (I'm on the same boat as you, except I'm about to get my RE-400 replaced). I've communicated with Ms. Zhang plenty of times before and things have always gone well, no questions asked. Heck, they even let me refund my RE-262 a week late because of shipping time delay.

I am using them as a standard for after sales and customer service. Hahaha. Now, they will need to buck up with these minor quirks like the cables. =P

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,074 of 3,507
I've had and enjoyed my re400s fro three months and now the right strain relief poped out of the housing, has anyone had this problem? What are my best options in getting this fixed? It doesn't want to just snap back in, don't know what to do.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,075 of 3,507
  I've had and enjoyed my re400s fro three months and now the right strain relief poped out of the housing, has anyone had this problem? What are my best options in getting this fixed? It doesn't want to just snap back in, don't know what to do.

If you bought the RE-400 from Head-Direct or any of Hifiman's authorized dealers, they should offer a 1-year replacement warranty. Contact them for a replacement unit. If you still have no faith in their build quality after receiving the replacement pair, you can try to contact Brian at BTG-Audio for a recable. I'm not sure if he services the RE-400 though, because last time I contacted him about my RE-ZERO, he says he'd prefer not working with it.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #2,076 of 3,507

If you bought the RE-400 from Head-Direct or any of Hifiman's authorized dealers, they should offer a 1-year replacement warranty. Contact them for a replacement unit. If you still have no faith in their build quality after receiving the replacement pair, you can try to contact Brian at BTG-Audio for a recable. I'm not sure if he services the RE-400 though, because last time I contacted him about my RE-ZERO, he says he'd prefer not working with it.

Thanks, do I contact the authorized seller or Hifiman?

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,077 of 3,507

brian from btg audio replied to me saying that there is a high failure rate with the re400s and as such will no longer be working on those from now on sad but true i wish he did =(.

i honestly still think my re400 would short out down the road (after the warranty expires i'm hitting 4-5 months now already)

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,078 of 3,507

Thanks, do I contact the authorized seller or Hifiman?

If you bought it from Head-Direct or Amazon (through their Amazon account/storefront), I think it's safe to say that you should contact Hifiman and provide them your order number. All three times I've purchased an item from them I bought it from Head-Direct, so I just contacted their customer service there.

brian from btg audio replied to me saying that there is a high failure rate with the re400s and as such will no longer be working on those from now on sad but true i wish he did =(.

i honestly still think my re400 would short out down the road (after the warranty expires i'm hitting 4-5 months now already)

Gah, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I can't say I didn't see it coming. Thanks for the update though =/

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,080 of 3,507
I used a form on the HiFiMan site to return my RE-400 that had a failed cord directly to the manufacturer. Just needed the form and receipt. Replacement is fine so far. 

I also sprung for Comply tips, TS-400, large, hoping to improve comfort and seal for bass response. The only stock tips that worked for me were the largest, double-flanged ones, but they were uncomfortable and the seal seemed dodgy. The large Comply tips are larger than I thought they'd be, but seem to work well, without having to jam them far in my ear canal, they just kind of stay tucked in the ear cavity outside the canal (the "external meatus" according to the picture I just looked up). Sound is at least as good as before, the seal for bass response is more reliable, and the tips keep the housings off my ragus and antiragus (who knew the outer ear had so many named parts), a source of discomfort with the originals on one ear particularly. They feel less secure but no problems with them falling out. Kind of wish I'd have gotten the three-size mix rather than large to try the others but the large seem to work fine, and the smaller stock tips didn't seal in my ears at all.

With the new tips, I tried the RE-400 with the iPhone 5 playing 256 kbps files (intended application) and compared that with Asgard 2 fed by Meridian Explorer playing a mix of low and high sample rate sources from my main desktop listening station. No surprise that the RE-400 sounded better with the desktop rig, but it didn't exactly make the bass bloom gloriously. Comparing RE-400 to HD-650 or desktop Airmotiv 4 speakers just isn't a fair fight, the latter two certainly sound better overall with more air, space, and bass, although the RE-400 hold their own in the upper midrange versus these alternatives. That said, I'm not otherwise compelled to complain about the RE-400 bass. For mobile applications, I remain satisfied with RE-400, even after the failed cord, warranty replacement, and 17% deeper investment to upgrade the tips. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,083 of 3,507
  In the RE-400 thread Inks informed us that Vesper Audio (http://vesperaudio.com/) is willing and able to repair and recable HiFiMans including the RE-400 and RE-600.  There is a finished pair in the Gallery so you can see what it'll look like - definitely seems sturdier than the stock cable IMO.

thanks for posting it up again, i tried contacting him about a week ago.

no reply
as with brian i emailed him what yesterday afternoon and got a reply this morning. i'd much prefer dealing with brian too bad the he doesn't do the re400. but on the pictures alone that made me compelled! 

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,084 of 3,507
  thanks for posting it up again, i tried contacting him about a week ago.

no reply
as with brian i emailed him what yesterday afternoon and got a reply this morning. i'd much prefer dealing with brian too bad the he doesn't do the re400. but on the pictures alone that made me compelled! 

Yeah, Brian is nice to work with and good at what he does but I can understand the HiFiMans being harder to work with...primarily to get the driver shell open without damaging it.  I know he's tried and had a few successes with the older models.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,085 of 3,507
Man I've been using the re400 with the Fiio X3 and was reminded yesterday of how good these things are. I took the re400 out and tried out the Meelec A161 that I got on sale around Black Friday. Man the difference in clarity was so noticeable. Fiio X3 gives a mid forward sound and I could really hear the difference in details between the re400 and A161.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back