Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Dec 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,086 of 3,507
My first ever review . Please be gentle
redface.gif
, I've been unabashedly honest.

RE-400 Waterline: Audiophile kill, Budget bullet.

Packaging and build
The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the grooves, I was struck by how tiny they are. I always try to avoid gripping the strain relief as a precaution, but it was difficult considering the size. The shiny bead blasted aluminium back goes well with the brushed aluminium housing. Which brings me to the build. This is the most common qualm people have reported. The plug is beefy, the y split seems sturdy enough. However, I noticed that some free movement of the cable is possible at the entry point of the strain relief. As long as the cable is secured properly within the main housing this shouldn't be an issue. (I was tempted to add a dab of glue at the strain relief end to restrict that free movement).
The half and half cable is… okay. The cloth half is a little kinky (pun not intended). The sticky half is thin and flexible making it very comfortable when worn over ear. Apparently, the hybrid design serves to reduce weight among other benefits.

Accessories, Comfort and Isolation:
Tips galore but an odd assortment. Anyway, I have very narrow ear canals and the smaller tips gave me a good seal. The pseudo-double bump tips gave me pressure problems, so I settled for the bar-tips. The complys are good, but the foam overhangs (ahead of the rubber tube) get scrunched. (I have modified them by cutting off the overhangs) Cable noise is more than present when worn cable-down. Almost disappears when worn over-ear. Can hardly feel then in my ears after a while. It is evident that the HiFiman team has paid a lot of attention to ergonomics. Other accessories include a shirt clip, 5 pairs of stock filters. I have dry wax so I won’t be changing them out anytime soon. Perhaps I could use them to hard EQ them (doubling the filters, felt mod etc.) Maybe later.
Isolation is average, even with a good fit. But maybe that’s about as good as it gets for vented earphones. The vent is placed ventrally and only the deepest fit might shield it partially.

Sound:
A short intro/disclaimer My experience when it comes to iems is very limited. The RE400 is my first foray into audiophile territory. I’ve been in a V/U-shaped bassy world thus far. 
Chronologically....Sony MDR-E818LP>Sony MDR-EX35LP>Creative EP-630>Xears TD4 Ebony Blackwood>Brainwavz R1>HiFiman RE-400
I’ve loved and hated every set. So I set my sights higher and decided to bravely plunge into a neutral world just to see if that was the right direction for me.
Doing an A:B comparison doesn't make much sense with iems that differ this widely.
My impressions may seem overblown to some. But such a drastic change in direction can do that. Back to the review I expected to be disappointed by the RE-400 in the bass department. I like a little rumble and feel in my bass. But given my inexperience, I was very curious about bass quality vs quantity.

Fast forward to my impressions… I initially thought of describing it by music genre. But after a week with them, I’ve decided to go ahead with the classic break-up.

Treble:
I’ve always found sharp treble to be off-putting. There is a (false?) sense of enhanced clarity that comes with sparkly treble. But for me, the overall enjoyability dips. I’m absolutely amazed by how smooth the treble is on the RE-400. Some may like a little more sparkle, its sooo perfectly where I want it to be. It may lack some bite with fast electronic music. I found no nasty peaks or dips. To me, the detail and clarity was eye widening (considering my experience or lack thereof).

Mids: 
I was expecting to be impressed. But not blindsided like this. It felt like I had suddenly switched from 192kbps to a vinyl track. The first thing that struck me was how much more life-like it felt. The vocals had a certain texture. Simply put, if that texture was absent, the vocals wouldn't be as immersive. A striking feature was the depth to the vocals (not necessarily to the soundstage). It sounded “wholesome”(male and female alike). I’m finding this very hard to describe but I must persist, because it’s that important. I am able to gauge how much breath and effort the singer is taking. Apart from the core vocals I hear a lot of nuances and details that contribute to that sense of “completion”. This particular feature impressed me the most in this iem. Another thing I noticed is how untouched and unaffected the mids are. No matter how busy rest of the spectrum gets, the mids always come through unadulterated. Like I had a separate pair of ears for the mids. And it seemed like the bass and highs complemented it nicely. Like they were all on the same plane of preference.

Bass: 
I will have to divide this segment into two. Initial impressions and Brain-burnt–in impressions.
Initial: Sub-bass was non-existent. Some tracks need that sub-bass to sound right. It adds to the ‘natural, warm’ feeling. Sub-bass is more ‘feeling’ than ‘hearing’. Tracks that had a strong mid-bass component were handled beautifully. I couldn’t believe the detail and how fast it sounded. But I would have liked some more punch. Sadly the mids keep grabbing the spotlight therefore I didn’t get to try many bass heavy tracks.
Brain-burnt in: Sub-bass still non-existent. But I found out at higher listening volumes, that the RE-400 extends pretty deep. I feel the punch in the mid-bass now. And I find the quantity sufficient(not lacking) now. Surprisingly enough, I’m actually enjoying them immensely. I love the attack speed and the detail, even when it gets busy. I want to say “resolving” but I’m not sure if it is the correct term. I’m quite stunned to find myself enjoying this “type” of bass. The initial disappointment only surfaces when I find the sub-bass lacking. ljokerl advised me to try a “narrow” lift of a few dB in the sub-bass. This improves presence without affecting the mid-bass or the mids. The RE-400 is a very capable iem in this respect. The overall tonality has warmed and I’m not disappointed as often. I still find myself wanting a bit more presence but I don’t think EQing it in is the answer. (Perhaps a vent redesign, dampers coupled with a sub-bass lift). Drums sound very natural (except the deepest reaching ones). It’s easy to differentiate between the types of drums. The bass conveys that much detail.
Bottom line: Bass enjoyment is very track subjective. EQing helps because the drivers are capable

Other miscellaneous rambling:
The soundstage isn't the widest. The Brainwavz R1 has spoiled me in this regard. But it isn’t congested either. It conveys a good sense of space. Vocals can be very very intimate. And orchestras can be sufficiently spacious. No complaints there. All the music components are clearly positioned and layered without any interference. I believe that is good “imaging”?

Like I mentioned before, I sense an overall “completion” in the music. Vocals will have a ‘bass’ component and a ‘lower highs’ component in addition to the core “mid” component. The RE-400 delivers all of it in equal measure (just a tad more in the mids). I have observed that they sound even better at higher volumes (+1/2 dB above normal listening volume).

I am curious to as to how the RE-400 will perform when powered by a better source. That will have to wait as I don’t have the resources :frowning2:

Some have reported good results by using dampers to add a little warmth and presence (even going as far to comparing it to the 400$ RE-600). I will try these mods later on.

Conclusion: This iem was meant to be a test, an experiment. My first foray into neutral audiophile territory. And they have surprised me. They have made me second guess my sound sig preference. I know what I want now (until the next revelation). But what I want now is so different from what I wanted, I doubt I’ll ever have such a drastic change of heart.
I expected it to fit a small segment of my music but I’m shocked at the versatility and satisfaction it has given me in most of my music.

I have a very non-technical way of knowing when music sounds really good to me. It has nothing to do with genre, mood or content. It depends solely on raw music quality. This happens to me with “certain tracks” that span a wide genre(Examples: Imogen Heap- Let go, Jasmine Thompson - Home, Mick MCauley & Winifred Horan - A Daisy in December, Eminem- Sing for the moment etc). Well….. My eyes well up. Not related to feelings of sadness, happiness etc. My eyes simply leak a lot of tears without warning(freaked me out the first time). Let’s just say, I can’t see through the haze of tears when I have the RE-400 on. It’s only happened with the Fidelio L1, some active speaker I can’t remember, rarely with the Brainwavz R1.

The RE-400s have set the bar very high for me. If these had a more sub-bass presence I would have absolutely nothing to complain about. I think finding something much better will be very difficult unless I burn my wallet, so I will now look for an iem to complement (not beat) the RE-400.

Credits:
@esantosh for all the advice he’s given me. And for replying to my monotonous PMs.
@Modular, @Tom22 for their detailed and comforting words from a very understanding POV.
Big ups to HiFinage for bringing HiFiman to India.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,087 of 3,507
getclikinagas, Great review. I recommend trying the MH1 as an upgrade to the RE400. Extremely linear and neutral with more bass. Only $20. It's better than almost everything I've heard at any price. It still surprises me every day. Only thing is it requires an adapter to work with most daps. Check out the MH1 thread for more info.

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #2,088 of 3,507
I've had mh1c before and I would recommend it too IF your budget limits you to items under $100. However if that is not the case. I would recommend the ba200. It is fairly neutral with slight mid emphasis which makes vocals oh so mesmerizing, and it is incredibly smooth unlike the re400. Despite it being a balanced armature based iem, the bass liken that of offered by dynamic drivers and its bass is of better quality as opposed to mh1c's.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2,089 of 3,507
getclikinagas, Great review. I recommend trying the MH1 as an upgrade to the RE400. Extremely linear and neutral with more bass. Only $20. It's better than almost everything I've heard at any price. It still surprises me every day. Only thing is it requires an adapter to work with most daps. Check out the MH1 thread for more info.

Thank you 
smile.gif
The MH1 as an upgrade to the RE-400? Colour me intrigued 
blink.gif

I just got my hands on the Vsonic VSD1S. At 50$, they're absolutely fabulous. Vsonic have made a solid little all rounder 
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,090 of 3,507
I've had mh1c before and I would recommend it too IF your budget limits you to items under $100. However if that is not the case. I would recommend the ba200. It is fairly neutral with slight mid emphasis which makes vocals oh so mesmerizing, and it is incredibly smooth unlike the re400. Despite it being a balanced armature based iem, the bass liken that of offered by dynamic drivers and its bass is of better quality as opposed to mh1c's.

The BA200s were in my sights. Availability and budget came in the way. :/
I do hope I get a chance to audition them.

It is fairly neutral with slight mid emphasis which makes vocals oh so mesmerizing, and it is incredibly smooth unlike the re400. Despite it being a balanced armature based iem, the bass liken that of offered by dynamic drivers and its bass is of better quality as opposed to mh1c's.

(May be personal preference but..)...I found the RE-400 to be very smooth (especially in the treble). So the BA200s are smoother?
Also is the treble sharper and less forgiving?

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,091 of 3,507
I am one of the expectors of a RE-400BE (bass or balanced edition) desperately. I hope Dr. Fang could hear us soon.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,092 of 3,507
Thank you :smile: .
The MH1 as an upgrade to the RE-400? Colour me intrigued :blink: . 

I just got my hands on the Vsonic VSD1S. At 50$, they're absolutely fabulous. Vsonic have made a solid little all rounder :cool:

The MH1 is different and more linear than the MH1C. I'll cross post some more impressions in a bit, but in a nutshell: the MH1 compares favorably to the UERM, F111, ER4S, IE800 and everything else I've heard (also to the K3003 according to a few other ears). Its linearity through the mids and its treble extension are an extreme rarity imo. I'm fully aware that sounds ridiculous at $20, but mine and others impressions along with measurements make a strong case for this reality. The MH1 is a top tier phone.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,093 of 3,507
There is a glowing trend. people started to canonise MH1. I have been listening them for 15 months, and still loving them with its ups and downs, but some comments make me say "get out of here!"

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,094 of 3,507
I had the MH1C and not the MH1. To me they were very good for the price I paid (~$20) but to me they were over hyped and not the miracle IEMs that some people are making them out to be. Perhaps the MH1 is much different than the MH1C.

I would in no way call the MH1C an upgrade to the re400.

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #2,095 of 3,507
I had the MH1C and not the MH1. To me they were very good for the price I paid (~$20) but to me they were over hyped and not the miracle IEMs that some people are making them out to be. Perhaps the MH1 is much different than the MH1C.

I would in no way call the MH1C an upgrade to the re400.

^This

MH1 and MH1c are only different coz of the connector, sound is exactly the same.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,096 of 3,507
Has anyone posted a good comparison between the 272 and 600?

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,097 of 3,507
hey guys i was wondering if any of your re400s have a static noise? it just appeared today for me, i dunno why it happened like 3 times the last hour, it was only when i was watching a video, not when listening to music

but i changed earphones when watching the video, and no static for about 5 minutes, so i don't think its the website.

i think i heard someone mention this a while back but cant find it anymore

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2,098 of 3,507
Has anyone taken apart the RE-400 or 600 yet?

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #2,099 of 3,507
Dec 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #2,100 of 3,507
i think someone posted one some time ago

the 600 is more dark than the 272 , with more bass and body

at least this is what i remember from it

having both the 262/272 (and being very happy with both) i wonder how much an improvement the 600 would be

the re-400 was a dissapointment imo - both 262/272 rip  it apart easily.

Quote:
  Has anyone posted a good comparison between the 272 and 600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back