Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,397 of 3,507
Quote:

So, Inks saying "It's exactly what I've been saying" is like someone else saying "I was wrong".

Inks probably wouldn't agree, but more or less, that's basically what it seems to translate to XD

Quote:
The ER4S's midrange is excellent in that it has sufficient energy in the lower trebles (between 3-5kHz), which none of the other 3 have (the 400 being the worst in that regard). Other than that, I can't vouch for their midrange quality over the RE-400, especially since I use EQ to correct FR flaws anyways.

"It's his way of..." pulling **** out of his ass? Hifiman says they use different diaphragms, so in his genius mind, he thinks, "So the diaphragm is different, but everything else about the driver is the same" based upon looking at FR graphs. This guy will continue to state his opinions as facts, and do so in his obnoxious way until an administrator stops him.

LOL, Inks has his "science" (yes, it's in quotes for a reason) and will stand buy it.  I agree with everything you said though. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #1,398 of 3,507
Quote:
The ER4S's midrange is excellent in that it has sufficient energy in the lower trebles (between 3-5kHz), which none of the other 3 have (the 400 being the worst in that regard). Other than that, I can't vouch for their midrange quality over the RE-400, especially since I use EQ to correct FR flaws anyways.

I think RE-400 has great mids, but compared to ER4, HD650 or HE-500, micro detail is a bit hard to hear with them, separation is not as good, timbre is slightly off IMO with a tad too much thickness and warmth and clarity is a bit lacking compared to good armatures, good open back dynamics, or planars. But RE-400 is doing pretty well, considering that it costs $99 and the other three mentioned are $250+.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,399 of 3,507
Quote:

I think RE-400 has great mids, but compared to ER4, HD650 or HE-500, micro detail is a bit hard to hear with them, separation is not as good, timbre is slightly off IMO with a tad too much thickness and warmth and clarity is a bit lacking compared to good armatures, good open back dynamics, or planars.

"micro detail is a bit hard to hear with them,"  "timbre is slightly off IMO with a tad too much thickness and warmth and clarity"
I can tell that these are the effects of their FR flaws, and not their inherent technical weakness in other regards; as I feel the same way about their unEQ'd sound. My EQ'd 400 is a completely different animal.

"separation is not as good"
Music doesn't need to be separated to death, as in the case of the ER4S. The 400's level of separation can be described as "cohesive," imo, and it has the soundstage qualities that complement well with that aspect.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #1,400 of 3,507
"separation is not as good"
Music doesn't need to be separated to death, as in the case of the ER4S. The 400's level of separation can be described as "cohesive," imo, and it has the soundstage qualities that complement well with that aspect.

I've been thinking about separation a lot lately, trying to figure out at what point it starts to whittle away at engagement, or realism, or something. I believe there's a point where it makes you focus on the separation itself rather than the music. This obviously has its advantages depending on your purposes, but i'm beginning to feel like it hurts transparency, oddly enough, after a certain point.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,401 of 3,507
Quote:
I've been thinking about separation a lot lately, trying to figure out at what point it starts to whittle away at engagement, or realism, or something. I believe there's a point where it makes you focus on the separation itself rather than the music. This obviously has its advantages depending on your purposes, but i'm beginning to feel like it hurts transparency, oddly enough, after a certain point.

Yep.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #1,402 of 3,507
RE-400 sounds a bit congested to me. Removing the foams from the nozzles may help make the sound more open.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,405 of 3,507
Quote:
RE-400 sounds a bit congested to me. Removing the foams from the nozzles may help make the sound more open.

Worth a try for those who don't want to use EQ. Bumping the upper trebs definitely gave more openness/airiness and sparkliness to my RE-400. I was being very careful not to accentuate any preexisting spikes, though, which you can't have the same kind of scalpel control over by just removing the foam.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #1,406 of 3,507
To the guys mentioning the drivers, due to the way the driver behaves its the same driver, diaphragm modified and less or more coil turnovers (their way of saying differnt coil) for different impedance that's it. I oversimplified that its the "same" but its not that much different either.

It's exactly the same way EX600 and 7550 share the same core driver though different coil turnover and perhaps different polymer layering in the diapragm

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,407 of 3,507
Quote:
To the guys mentioning the drivers, due to the way the driver behaves its the same driver, diaphragm modified and less or more coil turnovers (their way of saying differnt coil) for different impedance that's it. I oversimplified that its the "same" but its not that much different either.

It's exactly the same way EX600 and 7550 share the same core driver though different coil turnover and perhaps different polymer layering in the diapragm

I see you've taken apart the RE400 and RE600 drivers, nice, pics? The question was rhetoric BTW. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #1,409 of 3,507
Quote:

I see you've taken apart the RE400 and RE600 drivers, nice, pics? The question was rhetoric BTW. 

He doesn't need to. You see, he snuck into Hifiman's headquarters and took a glimpse of their designs. You see, there's evidence and there's proof. He now has both evidence (graphs) and proof. He probably forgot to take a camera with him, so we might not be able to see said proof. How the drivers look can be deceiving anyways, as they may be made of different materials that happen to look the same.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #1,410 of 3,507
The bigger question is, why have less treble than an iem that if anything was lacking it and name it the flagship for 4 times the price? hmm whatever. Maybe Tyll used Complys? Lol doubt it though. Hifiman generally does make good sounding iems, the pricing on there is dubious though imo

Tiny seems to be believe whatever Fang says but I don't always agree with him. While RE400 indeed IMO is some sort of "waterline" in its price range, so was the RE0 and RE272 is in no way inferior. Whereas it was stated the RE400 was simply "better" than past models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back