Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 7, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #1,411 of 3,507
Quote:
The bigger question is, why have less treble than an iem that if anything was lacking it and name it the flagship for 4 times the price? hmm whatever. Maybe Tyll used Complys? Lol doubt it though. Hifiman generally does make good sounding iems, the pricing on there is dubious though imo

There is more that meets the eye (and sound) than just the 1 dimensional frequency chart. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #1,412 of 3,507
Hmm transient response of headphones don't differ much and are actually FR dependent. RE600 actually has a bit more distortion too (though still low) Maybe the bass has much better extension if a CSD is shown but I don't see much to factor in past 1k, RE400 was already conservative there

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #1,413 of 3,507
Quote:
The bigger question is, why have less treble than an iem that if anything was lacking it and name it the flagship for 4 times the price? hmm whatever. Maybe Tyll used Complys? Lol doubt it though. Hifiman generally does make good sounding iems, the pricing on there is dubious though imo

Tiny seems to be believe whatever Fang says but I don't always agree with him. While RE400 indeed IMO is some sort of "waterline" in its price range, so was the RE0 and RE272 is in no way inferior. Whereas it was stated the RE400 was simply "better" than past models

Because they can. Let me break it down for ya, since I understand that it's hard for you to understand simple concepts that involves anything unrelated to Rin:

You buy something. You don't think it's worth its cost, then return it for a full refund. Either way, you may post your impressions online to contribute to others. Simple enough fer ya?

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,414 of 3,507
Of course they can do whatever they want, the same way I can critique whatever I may, in whichever way I choose to do, break that down. Please keep it to product discussion

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #1,415 of 3,507
Quote:
Of course they can do whatever they want, the same way I can critique whatever I may, in whichever way I choose to do, break that down. Please keep it to product discussion

For your (and others') benefit, though, so that you don't end up like Sonic, I recommend you tone down your offensive remarks such as "this is a scam/rip-off" without proof to back up your claim, keeping in mind that evidence /= proof.
It really puts a damper on the community (which doesn't exclude vendors) atmosphere imo.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #1,416 of 3,507
Quote:
Hmm transient response of headphones don't differ much and are actually FR dependent. RE600 actually has a bit more distortion too (though still low) Maybe the bass has much better extension if a CSD is shown but I don't see much to factor in past 1k, RE400 was already conservative there

it looks to me that RE-600 has less distortion than RE-400 and RE-272, which one are you talking about here?

and not to be a bore but it seems we don't really know what is better objectively yet... in terms of FR at the very least.
perhaps according to Fang's findings, the RE-400 appear better?

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,417 of 3,507
I actually like Hifiman products from the release of RE0 to RE400, but the pricing on RE600 is a bad move considering the circumstance IMO. They had a great run, but I do think they are overpricing here, there's nothing wrong with sharing my opinion on this, feel free to ignore and move on.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,418 of 3,507
it looks to me that RE-600 has less distortion than RE-400 and RE-272, which one are you talking about here?

and not to be a bore but it seems we don't really know what is better objectively yet... in terms of FR at the very least.
perhaps according to Fang's findings, the RE-400 appear better?

Lol I wouldn't put too much stock on the distortion levels, all 3 are very low, I just stated as another to consider, since one was bringing something else besides FR. On Tylls data, RE600 gets closer to the tolerance mask at 2k, though again, still low, no big deal, but its not like RE600 is blowing away the RE400 here, each are just on par

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,419 of 3,507
Inks you haven't even heard or touched the headphones...  You've got to stop making these generalizations and speculations. 

Quote:
Lol I wouldn't put too much stock on the distortion levels, all 3 are very low, I just stated as another to consider, since one was bringing something else besides FR. On Tylls data, RE600 gets closer to the tolerance mask at 2k, though again, still low, no big deal, but its not like RE600 is blowing away the RE400 here, each are just on par

First you make the statement that the RE-600 has higher distortion than the 400s, now you say it doesn't matter?  You forget that in audio, minor differences can make large differences in how we perceive.  It only takes 1 dB before something goes from bearable to overbearing (or for something to go from not enough to enough). 

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #1,420 of 3,507
Quote:
I actually like Hifiman products from the release of RE0 to RE400, but the pricing on RE600 is a bad move considering the circumstance IMO. They had a great run, but I do think they are overpricing here, there's nothing wrong with sharing my opinion on this, feel free to ignore and move on.

well it might just simply be a lot more expensive to produce, even if the gain is small. I've yet to hear it but will find out soon enough!

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,421 of 3,507
It is interesting that some here are asserting that HiFiMAN has "overpriced the RE-600", that there is a "value prop debate" yet 1) they have never actually heard the product and 2) we have not yet begun shipping. Does that strike anyone other than me as a bit premature? 

In the public events HiFiMAN has has, where people have had the opportunity to actually see, touch, listen to both RE-600 and RE-400, we have not heard anyone say they could not tell the difference or that they though RE-600 was overpriced.It is always possible some were thinking that but the feedback we have had has been very positive. 

I was visiting one of our dealers recently and he told me they were selling the AKG and Sennheiser in-ear phones that are two to three times the price of RE-600. He tried the RE-600, was impressed and said he thinks it represents a strong value. Then he gave me an order for both RE-400 and RE-600. 

As I stated before, some will find the RE-400 to be a good value and be happy with it while others will find the additional money for RE-600 is well worth it. 

We believe we have two compelling offerings that represent good value vs performance. We'll let the market decide if that is the case.

Peter 

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,422 of 3,507
It's like being accused by a lynch mob at the slightest provocation and without an airing of the facts.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,423 of 3,507
I did listen to both of them at the ACGxHFM event and I continue to think that it is the RE-400 that hurts the RE-600 the most. While I don't believe the latter completely warrants its price, I believe the RE-400 would still be competitive at almost double its price.

The incremental value gotten by the step-up from the RE-400 to the RE-600 is one of the lowest in the HFM lineup IMHO. HE-300 to HE-400 is a tremendous improvement; HE-400 to HE-500 is still worth the extra investment. Yet the HE series are pretty good for the price points even with each being worth the step-up.

RE-400 to RE-600 just isn't the same case. If the RE-600 isn't overpriced, then the RE-400 was underpriced.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,424 of 3,507
We seem to be talking about price in regard to perceived sound quality only. HiFiMAN appears to be a smaller company than most would think and the materials, labor and build quality of the RE-600 may have something to do with that price jump as well. And everything is designed and built in-house, driver and housing. No one really complains when say Aurisonics charges $300 for a faceplate because it's seen as an add-on cosmetic option. Here the "cosmetic option" is already built in.

Just trying to look at it from another angle. Whether that was a good move on their part will be seen.

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,425 of 3,507
This thread:

A: "I'm right."
B: "No you aren't. I am."
A: "I don't like your tone, young man.'
B: "I don't like yours either."
A: "Your tone has a spike at 5k."
B: "You have recessed mids."

Repeats for 5 - 10 pages.

And then they all drown in a sea of pu$$y.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back