Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jun 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #871 of 3,507
Jun 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #872 of 3,507
Jun 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #874 of 3,507
So, why does this RE-600 doohickey seem to be the blacker, moar bass and moar expensive version of the RE-400? Haven't Fang flagships traditionally been less colored than their lower-priced counterparts? Unless there's an RE-800 in the works...

Anyone steal a glance at what the impedance/sensitivity ratings on it are? There have been rumors of it being 150 ohms like the 262, which would please me, but somehow I doubt it.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #875 of 3,507
Quote:
So, why does this RE-600 doohickey seem to be the blacker, moar bass and moar expensive version of the RE-400? Haven't Fang flagships traditionally been less colored than their lower-priced counterparts? Unless there's an RE-800 in the works...

Anyone steal a glance at what the impedance/sensitivity ratings on it are? There have been rumors of it being 150 ohms like the 262, which would please me, but somehow I doubt it.

this is not quite the impression I have from searching the webz for it. a bit more bass presence but unsure if that means more coloured, I heard it is even more neutral than the RE-400.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #876 of 3,507
Quote:
  this is not quite the impression I have from searching the webz for it. a bit more bass presence but unsure if that means more coloured, I heard it is even more neutral than the RE-400.

The RE-400 already has some bass emphasis over neutral --- not much but definitely there. If the RE-600 has more than the 400, then yes, it is more colored. A more satisfying balance for most listeners, maybe, but most definitely not more neutral.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #877 of 3,507
Quote:
The RE-400 already has some bass emphasis over neutral --- not much but definitely there. If the RE-600 has more than the 400, then yes, it is more colored. A more satisfying balance for most listeners, maybe, but most definitely not more neutral.

right, I don't quite know if more bass presence means just thicker/more decay or if actually higher in volume though. actually not sure if people agree that it has more bass presence at all though, re-reading what I found. 
redface.gif

and yes, the RE-400 is a tad bassy. but pleasantly so.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #878 of 3,507
Quote:
right, I don't quite know if more bass presence means just thicker/more decay or if actually higher in volume though. actually not sure if people agree that it has more bass presence at all though, re-reading what I found. 
redface.gif

Are the 400's as bassy, as say, the se215's?

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #879 of 3,507
Quote:

I personally wouldn't consider the 400s bassy.  It's not bass heavy enough personally.  It does have enough of a bass focus to make it warm though.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #880 of 3,507
Quote:
redface.gif

It'd be terrible if the 600 had longer decay times. I'd rather hear that it had more low bass (<40 Hz) or less of that slight (very slight) mid-bass hump but a higher bass shelf (a la 262 vs. 272). Anyway, meet impressions are usually all over the place, because of the environment and time allowed for listening, so I'll refrain from making any premature conclusions based on scant, single sentence thoughts.

My question on the impedance still stands, though.

Quote:

No. Not nearly.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #881 of 3,507
tomscy2000 have you heard RE-400?

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #883 of 3,507
Ok. The reason why I asked is that RE400's bass emphasis sounds great in practice, at least to my ears. It adds natural sounding warmth and richness to the music IMO.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #884 of 3,507
Quote:
Ok. The reason why I asked is that RE400's bass emphasis sounds great in practice, at least to my ears. It adds natural sounding warmth and richness to the music IMO.

It may well be so for many users. In my experience, no amount of coloration I've heard adds any naturalness to any of my music, at least not per my personal taste. The right amount of richness should already be mastered onto the track, as precisely what the recording engineer or artist(s) had intended.

Bass addiction is strong in the headphones world. It's unfortunate imo that most people feel a ruler flat bass-to-midrange implementation is boring and unnatural. Everyone is gunning for the more "exciting" sound, rather than what is true to the recording.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #885 of 3,507
Quote:
It may well be so for many users. In my experience, no amount of coloration I've heard adds any naturalness to any of my music, at least not per my personal taste. The right amount of richness should already be mastered onto the track, as precisely what the recording engineer or artist(s) had intended.

Bass addiction is strong in the headphones world. It's unfortunate imo that most people feel a ruler flat bass-to-midrange implementation is boring and unnatural. Everyone is gunning for the more "exciting" sound, rather than what is true to the recording.

That isn't true, imho. We, as humans, don't hear flat. So perfectly flat, is inherently unnatural. Certain frequencies are naturally more prevalent in natural settings (ie bass). A concert won't sound flat. You'll hear and feel the bass drum kick and the bass guitar. Same with orchestras. You'll hear the timpanis and cellos and bass (which is also why there are fewer of those than treble instruments like violins).  That is why even your Etymotic isn't a perfectly flat FR graph, it is only perceived as flat.

Naturally this is only my opinion, but really a perfectly flat response is unnatural, and sounds horrible. Perceived sounds better but is still unnatural. It still has a place when critically listening to the tracks, but then I don't feel I'm listening to the music. I'll probably end up buying a flat response set of headphones or IEMs (as close to neutral as possible), but they'll never be my main set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back