Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Mar 1, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #3,316 of 3,507
  I know many of you guys either don't use or don't like EQ, but I need to share some stuff with any Hifiman RE-400 owners. I spent a little while this week trying to match the RE-400 to the flat but detailed sound of my HD650, and after some sine sweeps and listening tests I've come up with this EQ setting:

Using Equalizer APO (but settings can be used for any equalizer really):
Filter  1: ON  LS       Fc     100 Hz  Gain   1.0 dB
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc     750 Hz  Gain   1.0 dB  Q  0.50
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc    2000 Hz  Gain  -4.0 dB  Q  1.55
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc    3200 Hz  Gain   4.5 dB  Q  2.50
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc    8000 Hz  Gain   2.5 dB  Q  5.13
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc   10850 Hz  Gain   5.5 dB  Q  5.23
Filter  7: ON  HS       Fc   11755 Hz  Gain   1.5 dB
Filter  8: ON  PK       Fc   14750 Hz  Gain   3.0 dB  Q  5.00

I am actually shocked how well EQ transforms the RE-400. I'm sure this can work just as well for the RE-600 too, as they measure so similarly. 
I was always bothered by the 2kHz emphasis of these that immediately drops at 3kHz, so I compensated for that. I added a little more sparkle at 8k and close to 11k. This helps give them a little more brightness and improved clarity. I'm sort of basing this off what I'm hearing compared to the HD650 in the mids and treble (bass sounds fine to me). Also, as this is equalized for what my ears hear, it may not translate correctly for anyone else, unless you have a similar ear shape to mine. But hopefully some of you can profit from this.

With this EQ, they absolutely blow the Klipsch X10, X20i, and Shure SE425 out of the water for me. It may have to do with the titanium dynamic driver clarity, as sometimes those BA drivers have high distortion. Whatever the case, I'm very pleased. 

you remove mids then add treble and bass? That's basically a v shaped EQ being applied to a n shaped headphone, if you want absolute neutrality then I think there are tons of better options to choose from. I like the 2khz bump a lot but that's not the only part of the iem that's exaggerated.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #3,317 of 3,507
  you remove mids then add treble and bass? That's basically a v shaped EQ being applied to a n shaped headphone, if you want absolute neutrality then I think there are tons of better options to choose from. I like the 2khz bump a lot but that's not the only part of the iem that's exaggerated.

Well, I lower the bump at 2k, but then I add more at 3k to make up for it. So I guess you could say I'm shifting the mids forward in frequency a little bit. Also, 750 Hz is technically in the mids, so I'm actually raising that up only 1 dB. 
As for bass, it's also only a 1 dB low shelf boost below 100 Hz. Not that much of an audible difference really.
There's not many neutral dynamic driver IEMs out there, especially below $100. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #3,318 of 3,507
  Well, I lower the bump at 2k, but then I add more at 3k to make up for it. So I guess you could say I'm shifting the mids forward in frequency a little bit. Also, 750 Hz is technically in the mids, so I'm actually raising that up only 1 dB. 
As for bass, it's also only a 1 dB low shelf boost below 100 Hz. Not that much of an audible difference really.
There's not many neutral dynamic driver IEMs out there, especially below $100. 

the re400 is fairly neutral with a slight emphasis on the midrange and a treble cut. The havi b3 pro 1s were pretty balanced sounding to me

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,319 of 3,507
Oh, and anyone who likes tip rolling, try the tips that come with the Philips SHE3590. They are made of silicone and feel much better in the ears than the weird plastic ones Hifiman offers. Perhaps there is a sound difference? If there is, I'm not noticing much. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,320 of 3,507
Hi guys, I have three questions:

Has the RE-400 cable been fixed? I've bought one of the first versions of this earphone and had to send mine for repair and its the same story with the new pair.

Secondly, I'm getting a balanced audio player soon that has a 2.5mm TRRS plug for balanced output. Do the balanced RE-600 come with a 2.5mm or 3.5mm plug?

Is the cable on the RE-600 any good? I'd hate to get stuck with a broken 200€ earphone after warranty expires.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3,321 of 3,507
Hi, guys!

Just wanna get your thoughts of those who have already tried both the RE-400 and ADV M4. Which is a better buy in terms of clarity in the mids, soundstage, treble extention and lows? Overall, which is better between these two?

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,322 of 3,507
Hi, guys!

Just wanna get your thoughts of those who have already tried both the RE-400 and ADV M4. Which is a better buy in terms of clarity in the mids, soundstage, treble extention and lows? Overall, which is better between these two?

I've never tried the ADV M4, but I can take a guess based on measurement graphs. Looks like the M4 has more treble sparkle, which may give a better soundstage. Also, bass presence looks much higher on the M4. Compared to RE-400, M4 will have more bass and treble, so think V shape sound with less mids. RE-400 will be flat bass all the way down, with a smooth midrange and treble. So the M4 has a more fun sound, while the RE-400 is more neutral, maybe more natural true to life sound.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #3,323 of 3,507
Oh, and anyone who likes tip rolling, try the tips that come with the Philips SHE3590. They are made of silicone and feel much better in the ears than the weird plastic ones Hifiman offers. Perhaps there is a sound difference? If there is, I'm not noticing much. 

Yes to this! Better seal and more comfortable then any of the stock tips!

Warms up the lower mids a tad

May 31, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3,324 of 3,507
Just posted my review of the RE-600S V2 with improved cable. Overall, the RE-600S is still a really competitive model in 2017, not at all overshadowed by newer models such as the 1More Quad Driver or Pinnacle P1. Their tuning might not be for everyone, but I think a lot of people will enjoy them once adjusted. Still can't figure out how to link specific reviews on the updated site, but it should be in the Headgear section...
dsc02462-12.jpg

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #3,325 of 3,507
Just posted my review of the RE-600S V2 with improved cable. Overall, the RE-600S is still a really competitive model in 2017, not at all overshadowed by newer models such as the 1More Quad Driver or Pinnacle P1. Their tuning might not be for everyone, but I think a lot of people will enjoy them once adjusted. Still can't figure out how to link specific reviews on the updated site, but it should be in the Headgear section...
dsc02462-12.jpg

Saw your review, read your review, loved your review. 100% on the money and matches what I feel also.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3,326 of 3,507
Saw your review, read your review, loved your review. 100% on the money and matches what I feel also.

Thanks! Just trying to balance how they are still relevant, why they're good and how some people still may not like them even though they are nice performers.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,327 of 3,507
Can anyone here compare the 600s to AAW Qs?

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #3,328 of 3,507
So, that's a no to the AAW Q comparison then......

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,329 of 3,507
Hey all.

I just got a new set of RE-400's on sale from Hifiman. My original set is still with my ex-wife, and we're not on the kind of speaking terms to get them back.

Wow, I remember how much I love these! I don't like wearing IEM's very long, but when I wear them I want them to sound like...these.

BTW, my RE-600's are still in use after 3 years. I treat them like crap, and have yet to have any problems at all with the build quality. But I hate to take them to the gym, hence the RE-400's.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #3,330 of 3,507
This is interesting, the sound of the RE-400 is nothing like the graph I've seen. The highs boosted, and sounds bright. The impact bass is light(there is impact, but mid bass is lacking to add so definition to bass), and lacking warmth or body to the sound.

The sound can get pretty sibilant. There a bit of harshness to it. Pretty clear sounding due to the treble lift and lack of warmth. It's a bit aggressive with the treble being so forward. Low treble sounds a bit dry(it's a bit piercing in that region).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back