Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Aug 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,876 of 3,507
Stax?  Bro, I'm a mobile reviewer, I don't have any hardware to run something like that...  Nor do I have one XD 

LOL you should know me better by now.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #1,881 of 3,507
Quote:
Who do I contact to get my RE-400s replaced? The strain reliefs on both the left and right earphones are coming off.

From this post:

Quote:
If anyone has a problem with their RE-400s, contact customerservice@hifiman.com Does not have to be purchased from Head-Direct to get warranty service but you are welcome to go through your dealer, if you prefer. 

Early RE-400s had a known problem with the connector and that has been addressed.

Peter

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,882 of 3,507
I've been auditioning the RE-400 I bought for my girlfriend to replace her Audiofly 56 (the housing has seperated twice even after the use of crazy glue).  First I'd like to note that I didn't receive a carrying case.  Secondly I've found it impossible to get the smallest tips on; I fumbled with them for 10 minutes before giving up and putting on a set of double flanges (which do seal extremely well).

In the past I've been pleased with the RE-262 and enchanted with with RE-Zero (great balanced armature like clarity but thin bottom end).  The RE-400 is better.  Unlike the previous Hifiman IEMs I've used this one has an improved soundstage, better bass (though it's not bassy), better instrument separation and a generally better balance of frequencies.  I can't think of anything else I've heard at $100 that can match this IEM.  Personal experience suggests you'd have to spend much more to get better sound.

Since I've already promised to hand this over to the aforementioned girlfriend I must now consider snagging an RE-600.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,883 of 3,507
Quote:
I've been auditioning the RE-400 I bought for my girlfriend to replace her Audiofly 56 (the housing has seperated twice even after the use of crazy glue).  First I'd like to note that I didn't receive a carrying case.  Secondly I've found it impossible to get the smallest tips on; I fumbled with them for 10 minutes before giving up and putting on a set of double flanges (which do seal extremely well).

In the past I've been pleased with the RE-262 and enchanted with with RE-Zero (great balanced armature like clarity but thin bottom end).  The RE-400 is better.  Unlike the previous Hifiman IEMs I've used this one has an improved soundstage, better bass (though it's not bassy), better instrument separation and a generally better balance of frequencies.  I can't think of anything else I've heard at $100 that can match this IEM.  Personal experience suggests you'd have to spend much more to get better sound.

Since I've already promised to hand this over to the aforementioned girlfriend I must now consider snagging an RE-600.

Contact HiFiMan about the lack of clam shell case. They should be able to help you out. Which also should net you several more tips in the process. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,884 of 3,507
Quote:

If you are going to the RE-600, you will get a signature that is closer to the RE-262.  You'll get a little better bass depth out of them, as well as midrange.  Treble is down a little unfortunately though, but technically still sound (it's the non-offending type of treble). 

Regarding the tip, it's not the easiest to get on, but it does go on.  You may have to stretch it a little

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,885 of 3,507
Quote:
If you are going to the RE-600, you will get a signature that is closer to the RE-262.  You'll get a little better bass depth out of them, as well as midrange.  Treble is down a little unfortunately though, but technically still sound (it's the non-offending type of treble). 

That doesn't really sound like it's worth $300 more. Diminishing returns, I suppose.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #1,887 of 3,507
Quote:

That doesn't really sound like it's worth $300 more. Diminishing returns, I suppose.

I've stated this a few times, but the RE-400 will still be the king of (or at least one of the kings) bang for buck.  Although diminishing returns has something to do with it, in contrast to the RE-400, the RE-600 may not seem to be worth the value.  Compared to other upper 400-dollar IEMs though, sonically, the RE-600 does have value (compared to the likes of the Heir Audio 4.Ai, Logitech UE 900, Westone W4R, and Phonak PFE232). 

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,888 of 3,507
In those terms, yeah, RE600 may not necessarily be better than RE400, but it's certainly not worse [though personally I dislike the tuning more], both are fairly good performing. The W4 is poor stock, UE900 even more so. 4ai.....no comment. Just goes to show you how overpriced most companies overprice in general, there are no set standards yet [unlike loudspeakers], so companies think they can get away with crazy prices by simply having their own sound, without actual technical justifications for so called claimed performance. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #1,889 of 3,507
Quote:
In those terms, yeah, RE600 may not necessarily be better than RE400, but it's certainly not worse [though personally I dislike the tuning more], both are fairly good performing. The W4 is poor stock, UE900 even more so. 4ai.....no comment. Just goes to show you how overpriced most companies overprice in general, there are no set standards yet [unlike loudspeakers], so companies think they can get away with crazy prices by simply having their own sound, without actual technical justifications for so called claimed performance. 

In terms of bass and mids, the RE-600 is definitely better than the RE-400.  In terms of treble, some may say the RE-400 is better.  I could have assumed you you disliked the tuning more...  Although I'd rather it have the treble quantity of the RE-400, I actually am enjoying the RE-600 tuning a bit more than the RE-400. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #1,890 of 3,507
Quote:

In terms of bass and mids, the RE-600 is definitely better than the RE-400.  In terms of treble, some may say the RE-400 is better.  I could have assumed you you disliked the tuning more...  Although I'd rather it have the treble quantity of the RE-400, I actually am enjoying the RE-600 tuning a bit more than the RE-400. 

I think the RE400's better treble offsets the very slighly better mids and bass of the RE600 making them on par. I think both lack treble and sound a bit too warm and conservative compared to the modded flat IEMs I have, the RE600's treble is just too tamed  though. Add a hankerchief to the RE400 and it becomes very hard to say which is better, because the RE400's mids get as close and the bass more extended, which if anything makes it more versatile acoustically. The RE600 is easier to driver specially when the RE400 has a hankerchief so it comes off as more dynamic and more versatile with lowered power sources. RE600 is better mechanically, but not really acoustically.

IMO Hifiman was setting a good example with the RE400, with the RE600 it seems they're just jumping into the bandwagon. Although the RE272's lack of bass bothered me, its an IEM with more appeal with it's more transparent sound, wish they had kept these which are no way inferior to the two new models as was mentioned by the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back