Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Aug 17, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,906 of 3,507
Quote:
Really?  My hearing doesn't go above 15k but it didn't sound at all dark to me.  Maybe everything sound so crisp I couldn't tell that it was dark?

The bulk of treble energy lies in the 5-10 kHz region which defines how bright or dark a headphone is. A headphone with a neutral response to 10 kHz, but too much energy above that will not be bright, but rather "stingy," whereas a recessed 10 kHz region in this case will make the sound somewhat dull and lacking air, but not dark.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #1,907 of 3,507
Quote:

The bulk of treble energy lies in the 5-10 kHz region which defines how bright or dark a headphone is. A headphone with a neutral response to 10 kHz, but too much energy above that will not be bright, but rather "stingy," whereas a recessed 10 kHz region in this case will make the sound somewhat dull and lacking air, but not dark.

The treble drops an easy 5 dB (maybe a little more) once you pass the 2-3 kHz region.  That's why they find it dark in contrast to a more neutral phone.  It's entirely understandable.  I sometimes feel the treble could have a better presence to it :wink:

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #1,908 of 3,507
Where I thought hifiman could have taken the crown with this next reiteration that is the waterline series, I'm glad other companies are stepping up to provide great competition to keep things a little more honest, like KEF and surprisingly Phillips, who I remember made some of the ugliest TV's ever. Who's going to surprise us next? Zenith? LOL.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,912 of 3,507
having both the re400 (ok) and re272 (awesome), and having owned the re-zero/252/262, i am looking fwd to see how the re600 compare with these when i get the 600 on the loan tour

the re272 though are some quality iems - 2 years now , nothing but smiles

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,914 of 3,507
i feel this when switching from 272 to 400

the 272 feels more open because of the airy highs , while the 400 somehow seems to close in , due to the mids being more prominent
Quote:
I'd say no, they're a bit more intimate sounding. not really congested either but the midrange is a bit forward which I believe makes a big difference compared to 272

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,915 of 3,507
I haven't heard the 272s, but if I were a betting man, I'd just have to say that if you were expecting a sound signature like the 272 (neutral), you're not going to get it with the RE-600, the treble is just a little too controlled to do that :frowning2: 

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #1,919 of 3,507
  If someone likes RE272 and has amplifier, just try Etymotic ER4S and start to live happy for a long years:)

I have both, but prefer the 272 lately simply because the fit ....Ety with triples = physical torture.
Both are fantastic sounding by the way.
I received my RE400's recently but have not had a lot of time with them. I see  Hifiman are going to have issues as usual with their cables,
Just by looking at them.
Now detachable cables should be the go with them because its obvious their cables are their Achilles heel.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,920 of 3,507
  I have both, but prefer the 272 lately simply because the fit ....Ety with triples = physical torture.
Both are fantastic sounding by the way.
I received my RE400's recently but have not had a lot of time with them. I see  Hifiman are going to have issues as usual with their cables,
Just by looking at them.
Now detachable cables should be the go with them because its obvious their cables are their Achilles heel.

I believe having detachable cable will make the situation worse, why?
Because detachable cable usually isn't included in the warranty...LOL
Just kidding :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back