Hifiman HM-801 RMAA Tests
May 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #121 of 795

So how exactly does x (soundstage size) become larger when the determining factor is reduced? 0dbfs crosstalk (that is 100% crosstalk) is mono. You can't honestly believe mono has a "brilliant soundstage".

Your mistake is to think that a maximized soundstage width is desirable, moreover one with an unnatural feature: extreme channel separation at low frequencies. When I'm talking of «preserved» of «improved» soundstage I'm addressing lifelikeness, credibility and threedimensionality. A hard-panned recording doesn't provide this, despite the wide soundstage. Note that it suffices to reduce channel separation at low frequencies, so you don't lose any essential spatial cues.

What are some things that RMAA do not test? Does it adequately test "quality of sound"? Or are we to believe the STX is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Mind you, I've seen results that put the STX at way lower than the advertised maximum of the dac chips it uses.

I don't understand your question concerning the «STX». An Asus soundcard? I can't speak for it. As to measuring sound quality: Without any extreme measuring data you can't predict the sonic characteristic or the sound quality of an electronics device. The only data I'd consider extreme with the HM-801 is the treble roll-off.  Everything else is decent and below the established hearing threshold. Sound quality can effectively only be judged by ear.

May 8, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #122 of 795
Ah yes they still sell them so they’re really not obsolete, even if technology has passed them by in the last 12 years and just because you can still buy them doesn't mean that they weren't discontinued at one point for more power efficient designs. I guess with the PCM1704 you get maximum street credibility from the self-professed audiophiles. No one would like them to make vague negative comments :p

May 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #123 of 795
Thanks dfkt.  I always like to see objective test results on a product that cost $800.

May 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #124 of 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you really think PCM1794 or WM8742 is better than PCM1704?

I do think the Wolfson sounds better than the PCM1704. Have you ever heard PS Audio PerfectWave?

May 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #125 of 795

Quote:

I can not share what is not mine to share or I would, I would recommend since you have one look closely for yourself. Look at the solder joints, the old burr pcm1704 DAC used from 1998 which has been discontinued … the design flaws in the hifiman are clear and obvious, I didn’t need to look at graphs to determine my opinion, but it certainly helps.

I've been around for awhile, and I do know my way around with a soldering iron and such.  The back panel is quite easy to remove.  Here's my pics.

There was indeed thought put into the internal design. Note the gold colored spring used to properly ground the metal back panel to the internal PCB.  Also a small heatsink with thermal paste applied to couple the DAC Chips to the rear metal plate to aid in heat dissipation as the specs call for only 85C max temps.

And as you can see, the "K" version is used.

-Ed

May 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #126 of 795

Quote:
Quote:

I do think the Wolfson sounds better than the PCM1704. Have you ever heard PS Audio PerfectWave?

Wolfson WM874x's digital filter part is not good enough. It need an additional special digital filter to become hi-end. For example, Linn made a digital filter for WM8741 on Linn Klimax DS: They code on a FPGA chip and use it as digital filter. Think about how much current a FPGA chip will eat. A portable player can not afford this.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #127 of 795

Quote:
Wolfson WM874x's digital filter part is not good enough. It need an additional special digital filter to become hi-end. For example, Linn made a digital filter for WM8741 on Linn Klimax DS: They code on a FPGA chip and use it as digital filter. Think about how much current a FPGA chip will eat. A portable player can not afford this.

LOL, what?  Are you saying people would have a problem with carrying around a 10lb "portable" player with a 30 minute battery life?   I'm thinking the amp section should be 300B driven as well.  Well, then we'd be talking a 30sec battery life.  
deadhorse.gif

May 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #128 of 795
I am with some of the popcorn group 
popcorn.gif
 Though I actually own one HiFiMAN.

What can I say...Owners of HiFiMAN seems to prefer defend or debate more than to answer my little question in the appreciate post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447836/hifiman-801-appreciation-thread/210#post_6622121 Only @Bojamijams was kind enough to share his setting.

I have PMed Nankai asking the 'Normal' EQ setting (along with other issue on HiFiMAN), and was ignored on the EQ part...

Perhaps I just asked a stupid question.

May 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #129 of 795
Well I gotta say..dfkt sure knows how to make threads that are highly controversial and very entertaining :) This is even more so than his review of the amp3 pro1 (or whatever it is called) that got locked up pretty fast and I imagine this thread will be locked pretty soon. Until then..
popcorn.gif

May 9, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #130 of 795

Quote:
I can't be bothered to repeat my post here, since Head-Fi's disgustingly idiotic new forum system makes it extremely hard to post images and links. So for everyone interested, here's some initial RMAA tests of the Hifiman HM-801, over on ABI:

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54879

dfkt, you are NO SHILL.  THANK YOU.  You are the man.

May 9, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #132 of 795

Quote:
CEE TEE within that thread you linked I especially enjoyed reading saratoga's (Rockbox Developer) reply to nankai here.

I have to say that I DO NOT know if the performance of the player is good or bad and/or sounds good or bad.  I can say that based on my limited experience, I really enjoy the headphones that I have and that Head-Fi helped me get them.  

I really appreciate the conversation back and forth between the manufacturer and the veterans (or anyone who wants to earnestly debate an aspect or provide some data) because it helps me figure out how to best spend my money or be happy with what I have.

Feeling like I have the view of honest/earnest deliberations on specific equipment is a huge value of Head-Fi.  Nankai is trying to address the questions and stay cool while the player is being challenged.

This is a chance to learn and evaluate.  May we get the information and insight we need to get satisfaction from our purchases and keep the "wow" going when we make purchases we can hear are good ones.

I guess I'll need to stick around awhile.  The site seems to be burning in...  
smile_phones.gif

May 9, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #135 of 795

Quote:

That was purely a question. I never insult anything or anyone.

Oh, I wasn't referring to you KLS.  I think we know who has been hurling popcorn around here.  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back