Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #8,926 of 14,653

Compared to the total number of headphone models  that have been produced over the last 20 years, all of the ones mentioned are a vanishingly small percentage. Add 500 more, and you may make a point.

I really only follow Grado headphones in any depth... they probably have about 20 basic models, each with one to three variants (updates), plus two amps, so these 6 are a rather larger fraction of the Grado brand.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #8,927 of 14,653
It is a shame that the build quality of the HEK is so poor. I own the v1 and I love the sound produced, but by comparison my Focal Utopia almost give me confidence to drive nails with them. I accidentally knocked my HEK off the stand onto the carpet on a couple of occasions and I was consumed by fear that they would be damaged.

You may have a point.

I broke my HE1000 V1 in a freak accident.

One cup swiveled into the other(!) inside a carry bag!

It was only a few months old, but was my largest headphone purchase at the time

I almost had a heart attack drop dead to the floor..( figure of speech).

I didn't recover for a good 48 hours from the shock value of losing & breaking such a headphone. I actually loved the sound.

HifiMan was great to me and replaced whole unit.

I have since use a hard plastic case.
This should be MANDATORY for transporting.

Upon hearing of the V2, I put all my best mods for the V1 and put is side by side with the V2.
(Yes I am Creator of the V1 mods at another forum.)

This was a great opportunity to compare the differences, and on a TOTL level custom tube amp by member "Bozebuttons", to which I am eternally grateful...
Why?

Because it was there that I realized there is a misconception that V1 can reach level of V2.
So no, no it is not the pads.(!)

I posted this in these threads before, that all my mods could still not compete to the V2.

The V2 is now my main can.
My HD800 catches dust and fond memories in the corner.

The V2 sound is substantially larger and more refined and mature end grand and elegant and balanced...
compared to the Utopia(!),
To my ears.

Yes the Utopia has alluring mids and incredible resolution there as well.
But I can't get over it being "on the fence" of being just a bit too closed sounding, and thus is not a can "for me".

I know friends who absolutely love the Utopia,
and I can agree they have a point that the Utopia has a great ability to separate even though it's Soundstage is less.

But to me, the recorded tracks I know do sound beautiful but also not the way I remember them.
I remember the tracks the way the HEK V2 presents them.

The HEKV2 is in between the HD800 and the Utopia in Soundstage,
and to me the most tonaly balanced and full range TOTL can out.

V2 remains the most complete matured refined performance for me out of all the headphones I tried.

Remember everyone has different priorities so based on that and their hearing, the Utopia or any other can may give what they need.
Edit:
For instance the HEKV1 does well matched with forward or SS gear.

I am not concerned about the next best thing, if I can already get what I need out of whatever headphone.
For now, till my ears change, it is the HEK V2 .

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #8,928 of 14,653
Thanks, Maxx!

I'll try my V1 with V2 pads (as soon as they're available) and throw equalizing into the mix – comparing both versions at the store.

So have you tried the V2 pads on the V1?

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #8,929 of 14,653
No.
Remember V1 has a chamber of space between the driver and pads.
I feel this is critical difference of the unit.
Not the pads, which only have a slight more angle,
And mainly serv to keep back of ear from touching driver which is now closer.
This places your ear closer and more optimally placed in the area of the planar driver soundfied.

This is why only very strong amps at higher volumes can make the V1 sound lively as it forces the optimal soundfied further out.

I have tried to simulate a less distance and more lively sound on V1, by implementation of very transparent rear damping technique using Organza felt..

And also to eliminate the distance and space between driver and pad,
In which sound travel out to wood and reflect back.

I use internal foam mod in that space, coupling the driver to the pad,
Yet I could not do anything else about the distance of the driver to ear.

I also had a second replacement V1 unit with the newer drivers,
Which to me were more lively, even though they supposed to be the same.
During that time there was a temporary variation of amount of cement on magnets, from my experience.

All this, and I could not reach the V2 level of immersion and detailing and solidity of the sound.
That, plus the "on-point" tonality and timbre.

I thought my modded unit was going to compete,
But in the end, the V2 is still noticably better.

Remember also these V1&2 units and HD800 are units that give you image "height" ,
Which to me adds to the musical "immersion" and size.

Anyways,
In order to take advantage of V2 pads on V1,
It is strongly recommended to implement the simple foam mod which is safest mod to do.
I do not recommend any tape mods, or rear damping mods at this time,
for both safety and warranty reasons..

So bottom line, V2 pads stand a strong chance to help be a better headphone,

But V1 cannot be a V2.

HifiMan needs to just sell the dam pads already so everyone will find out for themselves.
You may have enough with the V1.
I was totally satisfied with my modded V1 till I heard the V2.
Not hearing the competition is bliss..
So Better for those with V1 units to not hear the V2, or the Utopia or the hd800s for that matter lol.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #8,930 of 14,653
So there's still a chance that the pads alone are responsible for the improvement, despite the distance issue – which doesn't necessarily contribute much or isn't necessarily the decisive aspect. I already use the foam insert, BTW, after your and Currawong's suggestion.

The pad material and its acoustic properties could very well be the component that does the trick (plus the angling). I guess you're in a position to find out. (hint... hint...)

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #8,931 of 14,653
Hi folks - quick question for you.  I love my HE-1000s, but am not giving them the listening time they deserve.  I'm thinking of selling my pair, and replacing them with a more affordable headphone that I don't feel so guilty about having on the stand.  If I like the sound signature of the HEK, are there any other cans you recommend I consider in the <$1000 price bucket?  I know that is a significant reduction in cost, but I can't justify owning a $3000 pair of headphones that gets used only once a week.  Thanks in advance!

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #8,932 of 14,653
Ahhh, but it's such a good once a week.. :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #8,933 of 14,653
Ahhh, but it's such a good once a week..
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't argue with you there... but still.  I imagine there has to be something that is 90% as good for 30% the cash, isn't that how high-end audio works 
L3000.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #8,934 of 14,653
  Hi folks - quick question for you.  I love my HE-1000s, but am not giving them the listening time they deserve.  I'm thinking of selling my pair, and replacing them with a more affordable headphone that I don't feel so guilty about having on the stand.  If I like the sound signature of the HEK, are there any other cans you recommend I consider in the <$1000 price bucket?  I know that is a significant reduction in cost, but I can't justify owning a $3000 pair of headphones that gets used only once a week.  Thanks in advance!

I think the Beyerdynamic T1 v2 is very similarly, just without the big soundspace of hek..

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #8,935 of 14,653
I haven't heard the Beyerdynamic T1 v2 myself, but ears I trust have also recommended them very strongly, just sayin'.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #8,937 of 14,653

Getting a second hand EDX might be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back