Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 24, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #8,551 of 14,653
How do they compare to focal utopia?

The Utopia is good, better in many (reference) ways than the HEK v1 (I have not heard the v2 yet), but needs good amp as well. Less but way better defined bass (depth and extension is fine as well with right amps). IMHO also the mids and highs are more exact and more true to the timbre with the Utopia, but the HEK is musical and nice as well. Both have some hardness in the upper mids when compared to Stax Omegas, but both are better than the HD800 in that respect. 
IMHO at the price of the Utopia one can get a musically totally satisfying system with the HEK, and also with the HE6.
The Utopia would likely last a lot longer than a HEK, though, so it depending on what time frame  are we looking at, the Utopia might actually be worth the price.
I preferred both the Stax 007 and 009 over the Utopia, but I can understand why people would like the Utopia.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #8,552 of 14,653
For those who have followed my episode on replacing my decaying/rotting headband, I finally got HFM convinced I can do the operation myself! I first thought they would send me the leather piece, which I asked of them to make the length of the pre-production units since the normal one always felt too constraining, but they actually sent me a complete headband structure!

I believe the headband is a custom mix of the V1 upper, V2 lower and pre-production leather. They told me they would make a custom order from their factory and it would take 3 days to make and 3 days it did... to my door on the other side of the world! They sent it overnight with DHL, which I appreciate greatly.

The headband feels a lot tighter (may be because it's new) and sturdier than the original one. It also sits a little lower on the head because of the V2 lower part. I haven't experienced any squeakyness yet. What's best about the new headband is that it no longer presses against my head near the joints.

So far I think I'm the only person outside of HFM who has completely disassembled the HEK. I did check some pictures but it seems I am the only one to take the wood off the metal housing and the whole headband off. Taking everything out was necessary to bend the wood just enough to force the headband off. Taking apart $3k headphones is something only a lunatic would do but if you must I recommend being very very careful. One unintended move and the diaphragm could puncture. I did experience above normal heart rates with this but luckily the operation didn't take too long.

P.S, the driver isn't secured in any way after taking the main screws off. I learned this by catching the driver in my hand. I'm lucky I didn't screw anything up. I'm just hoping that the new "leather" holds time better and doesn't become disgusting like the previous one.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that the packaging they sent me the headband in was seriously sturdy. I wasn't even sure when I opened it whether they had actually sent me a whole new pair or just the headband. Also the amount of foam etc. inside the package was enough to keep everything intact even if lauched through an orbit.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #8,554 of 14,653

So far I think I'm the only person outside of HFM who has completely disassembled the HEK. I did check some pictures but it seems I am the only one to take the wood off the metal housing and the whole headband off. Taking everything out was necessary to bend the wood just enough to force the headband off. Taking apart $3k headphones is something only a lunatic would do but if you must I recommend being very very careful. One unintended move and the diaphragm could puncture. I did experience above normal heart rates with this but luckily the operation didn't take too long.

Not trying to claim credit or take away your thunder but I actually changed my HEK V1 headband on my own last year or early this year (can't remember). It came off and I got my agent to get a new one from HFM and they promptly sent me a new headband plus extra screws as requested. But I did not have to disassemble the entire headphone to do it.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #8,555 of 14,653
How does Elear stand up to HE1K?

It doesn't. It's really that simple. No where near the resolution of the HE-1K. It's an excellent headphone at its price point though and you may experience a short honeymoon period with it, but with extended listening, you will hear it's shortcomings compared to the HE-1k and Audeze LCD line.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #8,556 of 14,653
I have am Elear in the house, haven't compared extensively yet, but quick and dirty impressing is that it is not up to the HEK level (but, it isn't supposed to be, the 560 would be more the competition).

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #8,557 of 14,653

The Utopia is good, better in many (reference) ways than the HEK v1 (I have not heard the v2 yet), but needs good amp as well. Less but way better defined bass (depth and extension is fine as well with right amps). IMHO also the mids and highs are more exact and more true to the timbre with the Utopia, but the HEK is musical and nice as well. Both have some hardness in the upper mids when compared to Stax Omegas, but both are better than the HD800 in that respect. 
IMHO at the price of the Utopia one can get a musically totally satisfying system with the HEK, and also with the HE6.
The Utopia would likely last a lot longer than a HEK, though, so it depending on what time frame  are we looking at, the Utopia might actually be worth the price.
I preferred both the Stax 007 and 009 over the Utopia, but I can understand why people would like the Utopia.

HEK is like the in-between of HD800 and Utopia.

HD800 is thin sounding, but holographic imaging and ultra-wide soundstage.

HEK is thicker tonally with a smaller soundstage and more diffuse/less pinpoint imaging.

Focal Utopia is reference sound and tonality with near IEM-level soundstage--everything sounds first row. It reminds me a bit of listening to studio monitors in a treated room, near-field so there's no soundstage :p It's not the most fun sound but probably the most accurate.

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #8,558 of 14,653
HEK is like the in-between of HD800 and Utopia.

HD800 is thin sounding, but holographic imaging and ultra-wide soundstage.

HEK is thicker tonally with a smaller soundstage and more diffuse/less pinpoint imaging.

Focal Utopia is reference sound and tonality with near IEM-level soundstage--everything sounds first row. It reminds me a bit of listening to studio monitors in a treated room, near-field so there's no soundstage :p It's not the most fun sound but probably the most accurate.

Where would you place, say, LCD-X and he-6 on that continuum (or do they operate on separate axes)?

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #8,560 of 14,653
What's your taste in music? I'm tempted to spring for the v1, but i really can't justify more than 1400 or 1500 on them, especially when I got my HE-6 for $700.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #8,561 of 14,653
Nov 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #8,564 of 14,653
  Are people who sent in their HE1000v1 for an upgrade to the v2 directly from Hifiman still waiting for it? Thanks. I ask because stores seem to have them (the v2) in stock.

Yep. Im still waiting for them, Hifiman just received my v1s yesterday though, shipping took a little while as the delivery process failed twice before successfully got into their hands for some reason

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #8,565 of 14,653

Users who are viewing this thread

Back