Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 28, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #10,006 of 14,627
Hello, I have a question regarding amps: Is the Hifiman EF6 a good match for the HE-1000 V2? (Sometimes I feel maybe there is too much of a bloated base, but I dont know if it is the amp or if this is ust the way they are supposed to sound)
Thanks alot!

I'd suggest keeping your eye out for one second-hand or post interest in the for-sale threads. These tend to have terrible re-sale value, which is obviously good for buyers. I would be cautious about buying new. These days, there are so many capable amplifiers, with plenty of power, available.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #10,008 of 14,627
Comparing to the Schiit Lyr2, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HDVD800, CEntrance HiFiM8, Chord Hugo, Joseph Grado HPA-1, and Lotoo PAW Gold, EF-6 does the best job for my HiFiMAN HE1000.

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #10,009 of 14,627
Hello,

I have a Sennheiser HD800 and a Hifiman HE-500. Im thinking about selling both to buy a HE-1000.
Can i hope that the HE-1000 is the best of this two worlds?

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #10,010 of 14,627
Hello,

I have a Sennheiser HD800 and a Hifiman HE-500. Im thinking about selling both to buy a HE-1000.
Can i hope that the HE-1000 is the best of this two worlds?

It is different than both but in some ways does combine the best of both worlds. It sounds far more open and spacious than the HE-500, but still a different sound stage presentation than both but it is more distant than the HE-500.

HE1000 transparency bests both, detail retrieval and imaging will be closer to the HD 800 but probably still below, bass extension and overall bass quality obliterates both, I prefer its treble quality to both and it will sound more airy than the HE-500.

Personally I would do it, but that's easy for me to say since I know I prefer the HE1000 to both (never heard of someone preferring the HE-500 to the HE1000 though).

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #10,011 of 14,627
Searched already and couldn’t find a concrete answer to this probably dumb question... but is there any concern with leaving my HE1000v2 out on the headphone stand all the time? I’m concerned about dust build up more than anything simce the outer grills allow dust to hit the back of the driver membrane. They’re in my temperature controlled home not in direct sun or anything. Do most keep there’s out on a stand or keep them in the box?

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #10,012 of 14,627
Searched already and couldn’t find a concrete answer to this probably dumb question... but is there any concern with leaving my HE1000v2 out on the headphone stand all the time? I’m concerned about dust build up more than anything simce the outer grills allow dust to hit the back of the driver membrane. They’re in my temperature controlled home not in direct sun or anything. Do most keep there’s out on a stand or keep them in the box?

If keeping it on a stand, just put some kind of dust cover over it and it'll be fine. Might as well play it safe and do that.

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #10,013 of 14,627
If keeping it on a stand, just put some kind of dust cover over it and it'll be fine.

Yeah but then it won’t look so sexy sitting here in my living room! Darn. Glad I haven’t really heard of many people having issues with failures and sound quality diminishing over time which might be the case if the housing didn’t protect itself well enough. I would imagine most keep there’s out and not in the box.

Jul 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #10,014 of 14,627
Unless I am wearing them, my HEK have been on a woo audio stand for the past 2 years, and I don’t notice any degradation in sound. I’d say that leaving them on a stand is fine, and if you’re worried about dust build up, just pick them up and listen to them from time to time. That should shake off dust and prevent any major build up.

As you mentioned, probably a good idea to not leave them in direct sunlight though.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #10,015 of 14,627
An occasional wipe with a microfiber cloth does wonders for removing dust...
I have had mine for a couple of years or so now. I really have not seen ANY degradation in the sound.

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #10,016 of 14,627
10 000+ posts about this wonderful headphone and I´m going to add some more as I FINALLY joined the club and have here at home my HE-1000 V2 !
Nice design, solid construction (touch wood) and very comfortable, practically dissapearing on your head.
This headphone is probably the most balanced one I´ve ever heard and has everything one could dream in a TOTL - excellent deep bass, life-like natural midrange, clear and smooth treble, fantastic airiness, openess, layering and great soundstage. Everything sounds pleasing and natural. And what is absolutely unique is the combination of technicalities and musicality, it is at the same time dynamic and relaxed /in full control without strain./
And this is fresh out of the box, with no "burn in" and without proper desktop DAC/amp ! I can report my (for these days) humble DAP iBasso DX90 can drive these cans very well. I´m positively surprised. But HE-1000 v2 is quite power hungry, it sucked the fully charged DX90 in 3,5 hours -running on high gain !
Timbre is akin to my previous HE-400i albeit with a touch brighter, more natural tonality. In my opinion HEK v2 is (more or less) a neutral headphone. Very realistic timbre indeed.
Everything from Dire Straits, Europe, Suzanne Vega, Safri Duo to Yes, Vivaldi or Elton John sounds beautiful. (Suzanne Vega- Luka is absolutely breathtaking)
I can see only one drawback. With HEK its (very) easy to get lost in music and emotions... Enjoy it while you can. Now I have to go back to work :frowning2:
Exactly the same impression I got. Very musical and emotive!

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #10,017 of 14,627
Exactly the same impression I got. Very musical and emotive!

I´m glad you like these headphones. When entering this hobby (and head fi) I told to myself that if I ever paid more than 2000 € for headphones it would have to be close to perfection. Not only in regards to sound quality but also in terms of ergonomics and design. For me HE-1000 V2 is as good as it gets to be a perfect headphone. They are very comfortable, they look visually striking and what is most important they sound simply phenomenal to me !
I mean they combine some of the best aspects of flagship headphones in their sound - like e.g. deep planar bass and smoothness of Audeze, balanced and natural sound of Utopia and all that with holographic soundstage and clarity of HD800.
What more you can ask ? Imo they offer " best of many worlds " in one package and that´s unique. The sound emanating from these headphone is refreshing and at the same time relaxing. You can feel emotions in singers voice, calming keyboards in the background, dynamics of drum slashes, beautifully rendered acoustics of string instruments, every bite of the saxophone and somewhere in the mix great sub bass lines surprise you unexpectedly...
They portray music exactly the way I value the most - all the problems of the world... at least for a while... disappear.

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #10,018 of 14,627
I´m glad you like these headphones. When entering this hobby (and head fi) I told to myself that if I ever paid more than 2000 € for headphones it would have to be close to perfection. Not only in regards to sound quality but also in terms of ergonomics and design. For me HE-1000 V2 is as good as it gets to be a perfect headphone. They are very comfortable, they look visually striking and what is most important they sound simply phenomenal to me !
I mean they combine some of the best aspects of flagship headphones in their sound - like e.g. deep planar bass and smoothness of Audeze, balanced and natural sound of Utopia and all that with holographic soundstage and clarity of HD800.
What more you can ask ? Imo they offer " best of many worlds " in one package and that´s unique. The sound emanating from these headphone is refreshing and at the same time relaxing. You can feel emotions in singers voice, calming keyboards in the background, dynamics of drum slashes, beautifully rendered acoustics of string instruments, every bite of the saxophone and somewhere in the mix great sub bass lines surprise you unexpectedly...
They portray music exactly the way I value the most - all the problems of the world... at least for a while... disappear.
Spot on - I went to a Hifi barn where I listened to numerous headphones. I had particular interest in LCD4 and Utopia, but the musicality of the HEK2 simply made me fall for them. When certain songs bring a tear to your eyes, you know you’ve cracked it.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #10,019 of 14,627
I have had the HEK2 for about 6 months and love it. Used with Jot w/ MB dac and primarily streaming Tidal. Until this week I had the Jot on high gain with max volume around 9:00. Switched this week to low gain and volume around 11:00. To my ear, the sound has more bass and an even more delightful highs. Sound is even more balanced on low gain than on high. Your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back