Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #5,281 of 14,653

Wow, you must have some of the most brightness-sensitive ears out there. I don't even think Tyll thinks these are bright. What music were you listening to?

A plethora of testing material - from Bruce Swedien mixes (M.J. "PYT" "Lady In My Life"), J.J.P. John Mayer mixes ("Bigger Than My Body" "Clarity"), Bill Bottrell mixes ("I Want Love" by Elton John), Kevin Gilbert's amazing pristine rock mixes, both an artist - and engineer ("Goodness Gracious", "Tea For One"), test subs with a variety of Hip Hop, and various jazz and classical stuff thrown in.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5,283 of 14,653
Can anyone compare pre fazor LCD 2 bass vs H1K? I repeat,only interested in pre fazor,best if 2.2 or later,the 2012 and 2013 models

I have both the pre-Fazor LCD2 and H1K in my possession for evaluation at this time.  They both extend satisfyingly low.  The LCD2 has slightly more body and presence but the H1K provides better detail/texture and finesse.  It comes down to personal preference but for my tastes, the bass on the H1K is of higher quality.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5,284 of 14,653

I realize that but in my experience planars really do seem to benefit from low ohm output and hd800 from high ohm output impedance. Totally subjective. Totally could be something else at work. But man at least from what I have heard it's def. there. On the opposite end I have seen people claim to the hilt that the hd800 was designed to be run with zero ohm output. I just do not believe it for a new York minute. Literally night and difference for me feeding the hd800 from ohm output amps.

Yeah, the HD 800 gains more bass with higher output impedance and it's a dynamic design so this kind of thing can happen. As far as planars benefiting from low ohm output, I can't say subjectively even if I do only use low ohm amps with my HE-560, since most solid state amps these days are low Z. But the reason I use them is because of their high current, power levels and good measurements. From basic planar engineering, and the data associated with planar headphones and their electrical impedance graphs, the output impedance on the amp just doesn't matter since they're purely resistive.
Also, there's a lot of people that like high voltage tube amps with naturally higher output impedance with their planars. Not my preference (tubes that is), but they like it so that's all that matters.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5,285 of 14,653
HE1000 vs. HE-6

The wonderful folks at Overture Audio, Ann Arbor, MI lent me a HiFiMAN HE-6 to compare to my HE1000 / EF-6 amp combination.  My reading here and elsewhere suggested that perhaps the HE-6 would be faster than the HE1000, addressing the stated difficulties that the HE1000 has with impulses such as snare drum strikes (which I had not noticed a problem with, but...)

I listened to the first few selections from Jazz At The Pawnshop, played with hi-res audio digital feed into a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC via serial coax (SPIF or whatever it's called) and through the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp to either headphone.

I started with the HE-6.  It sounded wonderful, with crisp percussion, clearly-positioned instruments, and good deep bass reach.

I then in the midst of a verse (i.e., same instrument mix and repeating patterns) switched to the HE1000.

The HE1000 had all that the HE-6 had and more... more soundstage and more bass.  Clearly different, and for me, clearly better.

The HE-6 might have had just a trace more impactful snare drum strikes and other impulses, but I'd really have to wish hard to hear a difference.

The HE1000 had immediately-perceived larger soundstage and greater overall bass presence, with similar treble.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #5,286 of 14,653

It may be worthwhile to hear a pair of modded HE-6s on a very good amp for them, if you ever get the chance. You could also compare the HEK on the same. Folks in the HE-6 thread have quite a few suggestions for good amps, but those unfortunately do not often include the EF6.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,288 of 14,653
It may be worthwhile to hear a pair of modded HE-6s on a very good amp for them, if you ever get the chance. You could also compare the HEK on the same. Folks in the HE-6 thread have quite a few suggestions for good amps, but those unfortunately do not often include the EF6.

Good suggestions. Also I would add: try some music with lots of energy and impact, for example Rage Against the Machines debut album is pretty well recorded, a track like Take the Power Back should give an idea of how hard the HE-1000 slams versus the HE-6.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #5,289 of 14,653
The most obvious suggestion would be to volume match. Because the way you phrase the context, it doesn't seem like you did. Is this wrong? There's a big difference in efficiency between the two.

Quote:
I listened to the first few selections from Jazz At The Pawnshop, played with hi-res audio digital feed into a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC via serial coax (SPIF or whatever it's called) and through the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp to either headphone.

I started with the HE-6.  It sounded wonderful, with crisp percussion, clearly-positioned instruments, and good deep bass reach.

I then in the midst of a verse (i.e., same instrument mix and repeating patterns) switched to the HE1000.

The HE1000 had all that the HE-6 had and more... more soundstage and more bass.  Clearly different, and for me, clearly better.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #5,290 of 14,653
Good suggestions. Also I would add: try some music with lots of energy and impact, for example Rage Against the Machines debut album is pretty well recorded, a track like Take the Power Back should give an idea of how hard the HE-1000 slams versus the HE-6.

That is one of the reasons it is important the HE-6s are well driven by a quality amp. And indeed this one of the major drawbacks the HE-6s always had. But when they are driven well the transient edge and impact are untouchable by the HEK imo.

The HEK do exhibit a certain wall of bass, that I find bothersome overtime, but that is not what I personally define as slam. The unmodded HE-6s have a slight bass bloat, albeit this is a different effect and it can be cured with modding. Unfortunately for the HEK I was not able to find a cure for the wall of bass effect, but maybe some more creative minds will.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #5,291 of 14,653
I spent a fair amount of time with HE-1000s today at the Seattle meet. I was surprised by how much impact they exhibited acros the frequency range, even out of the very low power amp section of my Lyra 2. And they were huge from Head-Amp's GSX. Their bass was the best I've ever heard from a headphone. It parsed out separate sub bass tracks from one of my mixes that I've only heard cost no object Wilson speakers reproduce so well. The soundstage was huge but precise. Switching over to the HD800s felt like an immediate and comprehensive downgrade.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #5,292 of 14,653

Agree that a mod can help theHE-6, which I did not do (they were borrowed!).

As regards the amp, I agree that some have found amps that do better for the HE-6 than the EF-6, but I thought since the EF-6, in conjunction with the Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC, was doing so very well in driving my HE1000s, it was reasonable to use them both for the HE-6.

Make no mistake, they are both great headphones.  

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #5,293 of 14,653
Hi Peter,
I tried it single ended but the difference is just .2 Of a volt or 10% according to the AK240 specs. It will help going balance but I still think the powering could be marginal.

Cool...thanks man for the clarification. I was playing around with my AK240SS and my HE1000s last night with my balanced cable adapter (Moon Audio Silver Dragon) for the AK240SS and it played the HE1000s quite well actually. Definitely not endgame level, but well enough for me to enjoy them. In SE mode, the AK240 seemed a bit dull, but came alive in balanced mode. Just some food for thought... 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back