= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #8,866 of 21,171

This sentiment is very reasonable. Headphones do have the biggest impact on sound quality. There is a concept known as "audibly transparent." Once you reach a certain point, your equipment faithfully reproduces the source material with all distortion/noise below the human threshold of hearing. Any additional audible sonic changes after that would just be different coloring of the frequency response, which would be preference-based. 

Also, price does not always have a direct correlation to sound quality. Just because you are spending a boatload of money on cables/amps/dacs/whatever else, there is no guarantee for significant sonic improvements. It is quite logical to look at the diminishing returns of actual sonic improvements & decide it's not worth it. Direct volume-matched double-blind ABx testing between equipment would be the best way to gauge what sonic improvements you can personally notice between gear. You should be able to accurately identify which component is in the chain while blinded if the sonic changes are significant. I think it is unfortunate that many people here who say there are enormous sonic changes between gear never take the time to do that simple objective comparison.

Could've, would've should've.. just try it.. sometimes it is as clear as the nose on your face.

Anyway.. look what I see.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/9675#post_10951318

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #8,868 of 21,171
My god, Audeze has a prototype LCD with a suspension strap almost like Hifiman's.  I really might need to have it.
am no audeze man..BUT god..that carbon looks good! This could turn out to be a battle of giants soon..between this new upcomin improved sexy lcd3 and the upcoming (jade 2/ he7) TOTL hifiman headphone...hope the quality of that new phone will be much better then the hifimans until now...and on par with the quality feel of an audeze..and when does beyer, grado or sennheiser come out with improved versions of their TOTL models? Its been to quiet at those companies on the higher end...come on guys..show us u still have it in u to make headphones that made the headphone world cheer of happiness :D

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #8,869 of 21,171
Looks like the pop was more of a plastic creak/pop. Figured it was the actual headband or yolk making the noise. Pops even when the cup isn't sealed. I just twisted the phones all over the place and was able to recreate it. Rant over. And yes, those audeze look gorgeous in carbon fiber. So are they a replacement to the LCD 3?

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #8,870 of 21,171
Looks like the pop was more of a plastic creak/pop. Figured it was the actual headband or yolk making the noise. Pops even when the cup isn't sealed. I just twisted the phones all over the place and was able to recreate it. Rant over. And yes, those audeze look gorgeous in carbon fiber. So are they a replacement to the LCD 3?

You're lucky to have found it to be mechanical in nature, before Hifi might recommend more capacitors in your amps power supply.
wink.gif

You guys are pretty busy today, since I last checked  a few hours ago, 3 pages have gone by on this thread.

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #8,871 of 21,171
oh my (in the words of tyll) yummy goodness! Audeze just batch slapped me lol. . This makes things semi complicated. . Considering cancelling my order of the Sony Z7 and waiting till income tax to get them. But like you said raven and my guess too before I saw your comment, probably going to be $3000. First thing I thought when I saw that carbon fiber.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #8,873 of 21,171
Sorry for little off topic but if anyone is interested in Norne Audio Vanquish cable with 4 pin XLR termination and/or appropriate adapters which will allow you to use any cable which has 4 pin mini XLR on headphones side, used with LCDs and x Vibro, PM me. And yes i prefer Vanquish cable with HE-560 but Draug 2 with HD800

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #8,874 of 21,171
  Hello all on 560 thread,

I have a suggestion about this thread: would somebody PLEASE create a new thread regarding suggested amps to use with the HE-560? [snip]

Myself being fresh out with only 1 amp, I would suggest a more experienced head-fi-er like Bill-P or Jerg to open this new thread.

What amp do you have? 
In lieu of a new thread, it might be faster to just search this one for models you're eyeing, or ask with your budget in mind. 
Heaps of consensus on Lyr 2 (but which tubes, I dunno). 
Lots of people also like the Ember and its ilk.
TMRaven and I both have Asgard 2; we like the pairing.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #8,875 of 21,171
lol semi-off-topic, but saw an announcement for closed portable orthodynamic headphones from oppo: PM3. =D exciting!

would love to see planar magnetic headphones become more common-place

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #8,876 of 21,171

Yes the 3C isn't the best with it but the Conductor with its sabre dac matches pretty well for me but even more so with the 3F (which I have). The problem is, all the ones I really loved were all above my cc limit ($5k), otherwise I might have walked out with the Tauras/Vega. The 3C/3F just goes to a totally different level with the right setup (all of which are too expensive). I set my limit to $2k for both a dac and amp and the Conductor is what I liked best that I could afford. Like I said though, I think its the absolute minimum, because I have heard what these things can do with the likes of the LAu etc. We have a store here that you can rock up and pretty much test anything they sell, I went through the lot. With the Hifiman cans, I don't generally hear a great variation and an entry level setup is totally fine, but the LCD3, you really need to do some work to get the right match that brings out what they are capable of. Using the Asguard 2, I wouldn't be jumping to big conclusions saying things are overrated and they don't hit hard (that's just crazy talk
biggrin.gif
).

I hope you didn’t interpret my rant as the Soloist is bad, it’s not. Just that to me the Soloist’s a bit laid back character isn’t optimal for driving LCD 3C. I have for example heard the Sennheiser dac/amp (more or less in the same price range as the Conductor) and it sounded more to my liking with LCD 3F and HD 800.

Yes this (highlighted) is exactly my point: the 3C just goes to a totally different level with the right matching setup. That doesn’t mean that you will not be able to enjoy them on more modesty system and that the right setup has to be expensive. A good match is the key for all system and especially for the LCD 3C/HD 800.

The HE 560 has other matching problem than LCD 3C. If the LCD 3C needs a fast, clear and neutral (not to warm) dac, amp, cable etc. to not sound thick or muddy. The HE 560 IMO far best with a bit warmer and fuller sounded gears.

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #8,877 of 21,171

You need to throw a hybrid tube/ss amp like the Lyr 2 at your 560's (modded), body, weight, cohesive presentation, soundstage, slam, deep bass (out of those that compared the stock to my modded 12 of 14 found modded superior across the board, 2 found it too bass heavy), which blew away the LCD X's and 2.2's in Nashville.

Ha ha I don’t think I have or need to get a Lyr 2, my Master 9 is good for me. I have a Forza cable coming and waiting for Jerg’s new mod. Btw I don’t like the LCD X or the LCD 2C only the LCD 3C and LCD 3F. Let see that the new Audeze going to be like…

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #8,878 of 21,171

You need to throw a hybrid tube/ss amp like the Lyr 2 at your 560's (modded), body, weight, cohesive presentation, soundstage, slam, deep bass (out of those that compared the stock to my modded 12 of 14 found modded superior across the board, 2 found it too bass heavy), which blew away the LCD X's and 2.2's in Nashville.

blew away the lcd x ? i had no idea, overall i preferred my lcd x'x, but was mightily impressed with the 560, and right now
i'm deciding between the 560, the lcd 2.2, lcd 2f, or going a completely different direction

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #8,880 of 21,171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back