= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #8,882 of 21,171
I think you must be crazy if you're looking at the PS1000 :)

i'm a grado head who then tried a planar as a compliment to grado's, but now tastes are changing a bit
i have had a ps1000 before, i thought it was great
i like to shake things up for myself !
wink_face.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #8,883 of 21,171
i'm a grado head who then tried a planar as a compliment to grado's, but now tastes are changing a bit
i have had a ps1000 before, i thought it was great
i like to shake things up for myself ! :wink_face:

To be honest I always liked Grado but I'm in the UK where the prices are totally ridiculous (£1700 for the PS1000, which roughly translates into $2730). The highest I climbed up the Grado ladder was the PS500 and then I heard the LCD-2 and HE-500 and there was no going back for me. I think I just prefer orthos full stop. I see that Grado still have quite a following though.

Anyway, back on subject. I was initially underwhelmed by the HE-560 because I am used to a heavier, mid-centric sound. Listened to them all through last night and they're definitely growing on me. I take back my earlier comment that they're lacking in bass impact but it is a strange kind of bass that tends to come and go depending on the music. My Soloist SL does a creditable job driving them but I have a feeling that they will scale well with superior equipment.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #8,884 of 21,171
To be honest I always liked Grado but I'm in the UK where the prices are totally ridiculous (£1700 for the PS1000, which roughly translates into $2730). The highest I climbed up the Grado ladder was the PS500 and then I heard the LCD-2 and HE-500 and there was no going back for me. I think I just prefer orthos full stop. I see that Grado still have quite a following though.

Anyway, back on subject. I was initially underwhelmed by the HE-560 because I am used to a heavier, mid-centric sound. Listened to them all through last night and they're definitely growing on me. I take back my earlier comment that they're lacking in bass impact but it is a strange kind of bass that tends to come and go depending on the music. My Soloist SL does a creditable job driving them but I have a feeling that they will scale well with superior equipment.

yeah, you chaps in europe get hit with some heavy duty/taxes on a lot of stuff
i've only been into headphones a relatively short time, so i'm still doing some experimenting

i had a tour pair of 560's for 3 days, and really liked it, but overall i do like the lcd x better,
the 560 did seem "faster" to me, which i like, and the price/performance ratio is off the chain.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #8,885 of 21,171
yeah, you chaps in europe get hit with some heavy duty/taxes on a lot of stuff
i've only been into headphones a relatively short time, so i'm still doing some experimenting

i had a tour pair of 560's for 3 days, and really liked it, but overall i do like the lcd x better,
the 560 did seem "faster" to me, which i like, and the price/performance ratio is off the chain.

Hifiman offer exceptional value for money in the UK. I paid £609 for my HE-560 which is pretty much what you pay for the PS500 over here if you want a warranty. Even the American brands like Audeze and Schiit have started to reduce their prices in the UK but Grados never seem to go down. It helps that the Hifi magazines give them ample coverage and rave about their products but barely mention the likes of Hifiman and Audeze.

I never tried the LCD-X but I owned the XC for a few weeks. I thought there was a lot to admire but didn't think they were much fun to listen to and the weight is a bit much. I'd like to hear the LCD-X one day. I have a feeling the HE-560 are growers. Perhaps 3 days wasn't long enough?

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #8,886 of 21,171
Hifiman offer exceptional value for money in the UK. I paid £609 for my HE-560 which is pretty much what you pay for the PS500 over here if you want a warranty. Even the American brands like Audeze and Schiit have started to reduce their prices in the UK but Grados never seem to go down. It helps that the Hifi magazines give them ample coverage and rave about their products but barely mention the likes of Hifiman and Audeze.

I never tried the LCD-X but I owned the XC for a few weeks. I thought there was a lot to admire but didn't think they were much fun to listen to and the weight is a bit much. I'd like to hear the LCD-X one day. I have a feeling the HE-560 are growers. Perhaps 3 days wasn't long enough?

you are probably right there

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #8,887 of 21,171
blew away the lcd x ? i had no idea, overall i preferred my lcd x'x, but was mightily impressed with the 560, and right now
i'm deciding between the 560, the lcd 2.2, lcd 2f, or going a completely different direction

OK, hyperbole, you caught me in a pain medication moment, I thought they were neck and neck in SQ, I do think that the modded 560 does "blow away" the LCD-X in cost/performance ratio.

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #8,888 of 21,171
OK, hyperbole, you caught me in a pain medication moment, I thought they were neck and neck in SQ, I do think that the modded 560 does "blow away" the LCD-X in cost/performance ratio.

as for SQ, i'd say matter of taste, some are going to like one more than the other, but i the agree price/performance winner is
the 560, and not by a small margin

a head-fi'er using hyperbole ??? no way !!

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #8,889 of 21,171
Ha ha I don’t think I have or need to get a Lyr 2, my Master 9 is good for me. I have a Forza cable coming and waiting for Jerg’s new mod. Btw I don’t like the LCD X or the LCD 2C only the LCD 3C and LCD 3F. Let see that the new Audeze going to be like…

Yeah, have heard the Master 9 is an OK Amp I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, yes think you are covered when it comes to a ping love my Lyr, lust after your Master 9.

Lesson learned, no more posting after taking my pain medicine :astonished:, I'll be crawling back under my rock for awhile......

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #8,891 of 21,171
But both LCD-3 and X are too heavy and cause of this too uncomfortable for most people plus need setup costing more than twice then headphones to shine

yeah, they are heavy, it doesn't bother me, but i know it bothers a lot of folks, and the 560's way more comfortable.
 as for set up and the x, it's pretty forgiving of lesser gear, but it does shine with better gear

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #8,892 of 21,171
I think the one thing that needs improvement with the 560 is soundstage size.
It is excellent at imaging, layering, separation and height but a slightly larger scale overall would place them that much closer to perfection IMO.
That's my only substantial gripe with the 560. It's not very major and it is hardly game-breaking but it's worth a mention for me... Of course, if there's room for improvement in other areas, I'll take it too :D Slightly more bass maybe but not necessarily :wink:
Perhaps the electrostat will be it, or the 6s successor.
For me personally, Hifiman is going in the right direction and the 560 is a headphone that's very close to myideal preferences and comfort supremacy. Dare I say it is the closest thing yet that I've heard and for the price (and the overall price needed to make it sound good) it is very hard to beat :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #8,893 of 21,171
It is excellent at imaging, layering, separation and height but a slightly larger scale overall would place them that much closer to perfection IMO.
That's my only substantial gripe with the 560. It's not very major and it is hardly game-breaking but it's worth a mention for me... Of course, if there's room for improvement in other areas, I'll take it too :D Slightly more bass maybe but not necessarily :wink:
For me personally, Hifiman is going in the right direction and the 560 is a headphone that's very close to myideal preferences and comfort supremacy. Dare I say it is the closest thing yet that I've heard and for the price (and the overall price needed to make it sound good) it is very hard to beat :)

I'll let you know what the Violectric V281 does to remedy its faults

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #8,894 of 21,171

I'll let you know what the Violectric V281 does to remedy its faults

But once again it costs more than twice then headphones

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #8,895 of 21,171
But once again it costs more than twice then headphones

+1
And dare I say my NFB7 & SA31SE is considered a rather spacious pairing.
Same sentiments shared with the Compass2 and others.
Other headphones sound more spacious on them so I am convinced the intimate presentation is just the way the 560 should sound by default :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back