= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #8,851 of 21,171
  If I'm not mistaken, Stax headphones have this trait as well?

Mostly in the wallet.

I've never experienced that pop, and my pads seal pretty well.  They are covered with microsuede, though.  Maybe that has something effect.  They are deeper, which seems like it would cause the build up of pressure (assuming that's the "unsealed" pop).

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #8,852 of 21,171
Never experienced it with any of my hifiman headphones i ever owned..the he300 (with pleather)/ 400 (pleather and velours) 500 (modulor pads and velours) and now the code-x with the huge leather pads...nothing..

BUT..i got customed from my darkvoice 337 tube amp period to always switch of the music first (leaving laptop on!), then put volume on amp on zero...and only then i take the phone off very carefull..not touching the pads OR the cups (its handfinished with a rare beewax method) so am careful not to touch it with my bare hands, so my sweaty hands cant deteriate the finish)...and only then i switch off laptop..and only after he closed down i disconnect laptop from wall socket....am very careful. Oh yeah..if i have some kind of gel in my hair, then i put a cap on between the headphones and my head :wink:

I am like this with all my stuff..thats why people are not afraid to buy stuff from me..as they know its as new. :p

so maybe it because of that i dont hear any popping?

Maybe its about ur headform that makes a better seal and so creates a vacuum, who knows? :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm incredibly particular about taking care of my headphones. Only reason I noticed the popping. Well thanks for the laughs all. :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #8,853 of 21,171
I could see you two sending O'Reilly/Miller home early. Maybe you can get Bill to fire up an Amsterdam Special and chill a bit :astonished:

I'd risk imprisonment to supply and fire that bad boy up.  He'd never live it down.  But I bet he'd buy a pair of HE-560s in that state. "Wow, Rangy, I didn't realize Pink Floyd was this good..."  Maybe that'll be his epitaph 
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #8,854 of 21,171
Had the same problem with my he-400 but I was able to reproduce it. . Whenever there wasn't a signal and then when it got a signal I would hear the electronics click on

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #8,855 of 21,171
Had the same problem with my he-400 but I was able to reproduce it. . Whenever there wasn't a signal and then when it got a signal I would hear the electronics click on

Maybe its coming from the amps ur using??? The click or pop i mean.
My 337 gave a loud click through the phones once when i accidentely switched it on with volume on normal.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #8,857 of 21,171
Dr Fang himself just personally held and blessed my HE-560s at RMAF.
Sorry no photo.

Great afternoon of sounds at the show, heard new HiFiMan single tube amp as well for about 6 minutes, not bad!

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #8,859 of 21,171
@hifimanrookie it would happen every time a new song would start.

Many times clicks and pops that don't occur at turn on /start in my experience have been loose connections, partial shorts in wires/cables (revealed when stretching, bending), sometimes something as simple as my lovely HiFiMan connectors working themselves loose.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #8,860 of 21,171

That sounds weird...never heard about that..hey stanD and thurstonX..u being the techies here...any ideas?

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #8,861 of 21,171

That sounds weird...never heard about that..hey stanD and thurstonX..u being the techies here...any ideas?

When I hear some static type crackle or pop on a track change in shuffle mode, esp. a manual change, I just assume it's a an iffy USB power issue + a possible change in encoding from one to another (e.g., going from an mp3 to a hi-res FLAC).  I use foobar2000, forcing 24 bits and a 1500 ms buffer, in WASAPI Event Mode for the Bifrost's driver.  That makes me want to try the Wyrd, but it's infrequent enough that I still have that C-note in my pocket.  Also, my PC is rarely just running foobar.  Often I'm running it in the background while watching live or recorded TV (sports) via a network-connected Ceton InfiniTV 4 (so, running Windows Media Center), and I never hear the "problem" sound.

I've never experienced the air pressure pop from removing the cans, though now I'll be listening for it.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #8,862 of 21,171
I was able to localize the sound. it was the outside of the driver at the magnet and always reminded me of Frankenstein when the electricity hit him and brought him to life. Only the headphones had been brought to life. . Almost like a breaker pop

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #8,863 of 21,171
I have to say that I agree with this, but I don't think my setup is doing the HE-560 justice at all. They're enjoyable enough out of my Soloist SL: the detail, treble extension and speed that others talk about is evident, but bass is pretty much nonexistent and they sound thin and a bit congested too. In short, they sound underpowered.

According to this post, "SL outputs a good bit over 1 watt into each channel at 50 ohms." http://www.head-fi.org/t/649113/new-burson-soloist-sl-headphone-amp/165#post_9808173

A common recommendation I've seen for HE-560 (and other 'power-hungry' orthos) is over 2W per channel RMS, but I don't know if there is any underlying objective reason for that kind of claim.

Quote:
You need to throw a hybrid tube/ss amp like the Lyr 2 at your 560's (modded), body, weight, cohesive presentation, soundstage, slam, deep bass (out of those that compared the stock to my modded 12 of 14 found modded superior across the board, 2 found it too bass heavy), which blew away the LCD X's and 2.2's in Nashville.

I don't think the sonic improvements has anything to do with the fact that they are a hybrid amp. it's more along the lines that they output 4W RMS per channel at 50 ohms and the engineer/design behind the amp. there are good and bad hybrid amps such like there are good and bad tube or solid state amps. some technical information about hybrid amp design considerations: http://www.tubecad.com/april_may2001/2001_04-05.PDF

I'm not wasting my money at all by 'using a 200 dollar amp with 2000 dollar headphones.'  That makes it sound like you value their cost way too much.  First of all, headphones are 90% of the overall sound in a chain, so I am happy I get to hear the LCD3 and get a fundamental understanding of how it sounds, without having to go overboard on upstream equipment.

This sentiment is very reasonable. Headphones do have the biggest impact on sound quality. There is a concept known as "audibly transparent." Once you reach a certain point, your equipment faithfully reproduces the source material with all distortion/noise below the human threshold of hearing. Any additional audible sonic changes after that would just be different coloring of the frequency response, which would be preference-based. 

Also, price does not always have a direct correlation to sound quality. Just because you are spending a boatload of money on cables/amps/dacs/whatever else, there is no guarantee for significant sonic improvements. It is quite logical to look at the diminishing returns of actual sonic improvements & decide it's not worth it. Direct volume-matched double-blind ABx testing between equipment would be the best way to gauge what sonic improvements you can personally notice between gear. You should be able to accurately identify which component is in the chain while blinded if the sonic changes are significant. I think it is unfortunate that many people here who say there are enormous sonic changes between gear never take the time to do that simple objective comparison.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #8,864 of 21,171
Hello all on 560 thread,

I have a suggestion about this thread: would somebody PLEASE create a new thread regarding suggested amps to use with the HE-560? This thread has really been insightful with mod ideas, comparisons, etc. but I really think if there were a special place to go for a conversation just about AMP/DACs with the HE-560 then that would do wonders for those wishing to know more about amping this 'phone - Let's face it we've got almost 600 pages here and who wants to take 1 month off work to sift thru all of it (LOL)! Just like other leading 'phones that also have their own thread for discussions on amping them.

Myself being fresh out with only 1 amp, I would suggest a more experienced head-fi-er like Bill-P or Jerg to open this new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back