Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 1, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #11,821 of 14,386
I got myself the HE-400i's as of the past two weeks and have been listening to them through a Modi 2 Uber and an Objective 2.

I think the sound quality is stellar, however I have some issues. My first one that I noticed is the plastic ring holding the grill mesh on the right driver was bent. I'm not sure how nor why but I removed it and turned it a bit and it seems slightly less bent. My other, more grave issue are the 2.5mm connectors. I can pull back on the plug on my right side and push the left side and the sound just seems to spasm and cut out for each respective sides, as if the connector themselves are just ever slightly too big for the 2.5mm plugs and the plugs can wiggle and lose their connection inside.

Did anyone else experience the same thing with their 2.5mm connectors?

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #11,822 of 14,386
  I got myself the HE-400i's as of the past two weeks and have been listening to them through a Modi 2 Uber and an Objective 2.

I think the sound quality is stellar, however I have some issues. My first one that I noticed is the plastic ring holding the grill mesh on the right driver was bent. I'm not sure how nor why but I removed it and turned it a bit and it seems slightly less bent. My other, more grave issue are the 2.5mm connectors. I can pull back on the plug on my right side and push the left side and the sound just seems to spasm and cut out for each respective sides, as if the connector themselves are just ever slightly too big for the 2.5mm plugs and the plugs can wiggle and lose their connection inside.

Nope, did you buy them used?

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #11,825 of 14,386

This is one reason I like the old SMC connectors better, the connection is secure, but for some the twisting was too much trouble.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #11,826 of 14,386
The original connectors were actually more durable and secure, but since most of the online reviewers are just finding faults rather than making an on point honest review and add the typical bandwagon mob mentality so hifiman decided to change it to what the mob wants for marketing over better design.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #11,829 of 14,386
The HE400i just sounds so clean, I love it.

Out of curiosity, do you all run yours on low gain or high gain?

I run mine with the High Gain setting on my Schiit Lyr 2.

Mine are just now getting broken in (both 400i and amp), They do sound clean. I'm especially pleased how un-fatiguing the sound is - I have had fatigue issues in the past with dynamic headphones.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #11,830 of 14,386
My friend's 400i's sound like a different 400i from mine. Very uncanny. Compared side by side of of a Grace m9XX plugged in at the same time. It's undeniable. Not kind of, sort of, could be... but legitimately sound different, less bass and less air, perhaps a little treble roll off. His 400i had no more than 10 hours on them when compared.

This is my first good opportunity to see if or how much these really burn in. Not starting a debate here, just looking forward to some first hand experience.

If yours sound anything like his, these would be legitimate complaints. I can't tell much they change but there's hope if they do. My cans sound VERY much so better in all aspects than his. Better bass, treble, soundstage, and just plain energy behind the music. His cans sound dead, flat neutered, all of the above. You can't even mix them up if they are identical headphones because once you put them on, it's obvious. In any case, he's burning in now with music and we'll meet in about a month to compare.

I'd be curious to hear what you think, and how they compare after your friends pair burn in some. 

I also had had a friend bring over his new pair, but, he had let them burn in for 3 days playing FM, plus what he had listened to. Like you, his pair did not sound like mine. It was pretty much like you described. Mine are much more open and lively. So, the burn in didn't seem to help his at all. He returned them. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #11,831 of 14,386
do you really need to burn in headphones let alone planar magnetic ones with thin films that wear out over time isn't hadware burn in a myth? muscle memory isn't though and thats your ear (ear burnin with new phones makes you more accustomed to the new nauces it produces), did he burn them in for 3 days with what amp? volume level? he didnt max it out for 3 days right? if thats the case he killed the driver.

As for me I run it on low gain on the fiio A5, e10k as dac when on desktop. more imporatantly just use the 400i where you can hear the dynamics properly on the lower volumes and thats it, a hole on your eardrum is permanent hearing loss.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #11,832 of 14,386
  do you really need to burn in headphones let alone planar magnetic ones with thin films that wear out over time isn't hadware burn in a myth? muscle memory isn't though and thats your ear (ear burnin with new phones makes you more accustomed to the new nauces it produces), did he burn them in for 3 days with what amp? volume level? he didnt max it out for 3 days right? if thats the case he killed the driver.

As for me I run it on low gain on the fiio A5, e10k as dac when on desktop. more imporatantly just use the 400i where you can hear the dynamics properly on the lower volumes and thats it, a hole on your eardrum is permanent hearing loss.

Hifiman recommends 150 hours of burn in for the HE-400i...

beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #11,833 of 14,386
  I just got the 400i.  I absolutely love everything about these, however i want more bass.  I currently have the PA2V2 amp.. what is a good amp/dac combo that'll help me bring out the bass on these lovely cans?  using them on my pc.. 320kbs mp3 and flac

For me, a little sub-bass boost of 2-3 dBs is perfect.  Then drop the mids just a touch and give it a little extra power.  Swapping pads helped me as well.

Ahhh.... such great listening.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #11,834 of 14,386
  The original connectors were actually more durable and secure, but since most of the online reviewers are just finding faults rather than making an on point honest review and add the typical bandwagon mob mentality so hifiman decided to change it to what the mob wants for marketing over better design.

Bandwagon mentality?

Pretty sure I would prefer keeping my cans in tact if they ever got caught on something.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #11,835 of 14,386
  Bandwagon mentality?

Pretty sure I would prefer keeping my cans in tact if they ever got caught on something.

It works both ways, my HE560 got knocked off the media rack where they hang by my dog who tripped over the cable but since the SMC connectors don't unplug the HE560 never hit the ground since the extra cable was hooked over the hanger.

In the case of the HD700 which uses a similar connector but with a keyed section on the barrel of the plug its much harder to remove and provides a more secure connection IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back