Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #11,806 of 14,386
  The build is just fantastic, and trumps Hifiman... 

The build of that headphone looks like a blatant copy of HiFiMAN
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #11,807 of 14,386
I don’t know what you’re talking about. Those look nothing like the hifimans. The top is taller & more adjustments as well as crossbars on the top. The attachment hoops flat metal not cast pieces. The grille on the outside has slats rather than a cross hatch pattern. They are absolutely nothing alike. Are we even looking at the same thing?
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif
popcorn.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #11,808 of 14,386
I'm very happy with my Asgard 2 and 400i,it feels like a solid pairing.

It's a great pair, to go substantially up from there requires more than double the investment.. a move worth it.. but for now, enjoy where you're at (I sure did).

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #11,810 of 14,386
I just got the 400i.  I absolutely love everything about these, however i want more bass.  I currently have the PA2V2 amp.. what is a good amp/dac combo that'll help me bring out the bass on these lovely cans?  using them on my pc.. 320kbs mp3 and flac

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #11,811 of 14,386
  I just got the 400i.  I absolutely love everything about these, however i want more bass.  I currently have the PA2V2 amp.. what is a good amp/dac combo that'll help me bring out the bass on these lovely cans?  using them on my pc.. 320kbs mp3 and flac

320kb and flac ... hahaha good one :) I'm still rocking the red book.

What is your budget for an amp?

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #11,813 of 14,386
  I keep switching between these and my DT770s ... not a chance in hell.

Revisited 'Painkiller' and simply blown away ...

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my 770, it has some issues yeah.. it is still a great headphone though. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #11,814 of 14,386

Hmm... my experience is that even with a great dac/amp (a Jotunheim) you're not going to get a lot more bass from the 400i. I've tried a few other amps and even EQ software to try to elevate the low-end, but once you go beyond a slight push, what you end up with is bloat and distortion.  On a more positive note, I've gotten some nice but relatively small improvement by swapping pads to the  Brainwavz HM5 pleather.  I like the 400i bass for the most part, but they just aren't bass-heavy planars.   

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #11,815 of 14,386

Hmm... my experience is that even with a great dac/amp (a Jotunheim) you're not going to get a lot more bass from the 400i. I've tried a few other amps and even EQ software to try to elevate the low-end, but once you go beyond a slight push, what you end up with is bloat and distortion.  On a more positive note, I've gotten some nice but relatively small improvement by swapping pads to the  Brainwavz HM5 pleather.  I like the 400i bass for the most part, but they just aren't bass-heavy planars.   

You realize he is using a battery operating AMP right?

I would definitely agree on the pad swap, massive difference from the stock ones.

I disagree on the bass, they hit harder and more accurate than my DT770's by a landslide. That being said, I havn't listened to many planars.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #11,816 of 14,386
  to me the fitting is loose and do not have the clamping force as compared to audeze or my oppo pm1

Spring steel is bendable to accommodate a higher clamping force.
Also, http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489 about pad swapping. Pics/how to remove etc. The Audeze pads are installed with sticky tape, not with the official HiFiMAN ring.

And to @saywhuut as well, some pad-rolling impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/17025#post_12886234
Some pads boost sub-bass, but in general, the 400i aren't bass monsters.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #11,817 of 14,386
Thanks Sovereign. Your post came in after I ordered a new and sealed pair from an eBay seller in US with over 12000 positive feedback. Hopefully that's gonna work out fine. $239 plus shipping and uk taxes. I'm definitely bookmarking headamp though.

What's the deal with changing pads. I thought the 400i shipped with good stock pads?

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #11,818 of 14,386
Thanks Sovereign. Your post came in after I ordered a new and sealed pair from an eBay seller in US with over 12000 positive feedback. Hopefully that's gonna work out fine. $239 plus shipping and uk taxes. I'm definitely bookmarking headamp though.

What's the deal with changing pads. I thought the 400i shipped with good stock pads?

They're quite lovely analytical pads.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #11,820 of 14,386

My friend's 400i's sound like a different 400i from mine. Very uncanny. Compared side by side of of a Grace m9XX plugged in at the same time. It's undeniable. Not kind of, sort of, could be... but legitimately sound different, less bass and less air, perhaps a little treble roll off. His 400i had no more than 10 hours on them when compared.

This is my first good opportunity to see if or how much these really burn in. Not starting a debate here, just looking forward to some first hand experience.

If yours sound anything like his, these would be legitimate complaints. I can't tell much they change but there's hope if they do. My cans sound VERY much so better in all aspects than his. Better bass, treble, soundstage, and just plain energy behind the music. His cans sound dead, flat neutered, all of the above. You can't even mix them up if they are identical headphones because once you put them on, it's obvious. In any case, he's burning in now with music and we'll meet in about a month to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back