1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MattTCG, Jan 8, 2014.
First

Back
779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788
790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799
Next

Last
  1. Meffaliss
    I got myself the HE-400i's as of the past two weeks and have been listening to them through a Modi 2 Uber and an Objective 2.

I think the sound quality is stellar, however I have some issues. My first one that I noticed is the plastic ring holding the grill mesh on the right driver was bent. I'm not sure how nor why but I removed it and turned it a bit and it seems slightly less bent. My other, more grave issue are the 2.5mm connectors. I can pull back on the plug on my right side and push the left side and the sound just seems to spasm and cut out for each respective sides, as if the connector themselves are just ever slightly too big for the 2.5mm plugs and the plugs can wiggle and lose their connection inside.

Did anyone else experience the same thing with their 2.5mm connectors?

2. Zimtron
    Nope, did you buy them used?

3. Meffaliss
    Nope, brand-new.

4. drwlf

Might be QC issues, the bent mesh has been documented before as well. RMA them?

5. DavidA
    This is one reason I like the old SMC connectors better, the connection is secure, but for some the twisting was too much trouble.

6. wigglepuff
    The original connectors were actually more durable and secure, but since most of the online reviewers are just finding faults rather than making an on point honest review and add the typical bandwagon mob mentality so hifiman decided to change it to what the mob wants for marketing over better design.

LayLay likes this.
  7. InsTwin
    The HE400i just sounds so clean, I love it.

Out of curiosity, do you all run yours on low gain or high gain?

8. xcom

I run mine at 12dB gain.

9. tiger roach

I run mine with the High Gain setting on my Schiit Lyr 2.

Mine are just now getting broken in (both 400i and amp), They do sound clean. I'm especially pleased how un-fatiguing the sound is - I have had fatigue issues in the past with dynamic headphones.

10. rgmffn
    I'd be curious to hear what you think, and how they compare after your friends pair burn in some. 

I also had had a friend bring over his new pair, but, he had let them burn in for 3 days playing FM, plus what he had listened to. Like you, his pair did not sound like mine. It was pretty much like you described. Mine are much more open and lively. So, the burn in didn't seem to help his at all. He returned them. 

11. wigglepuff
    do you really need to burn in headphones let alone planar magnetic ones with thin films that wear out over time isn't hadware burn in a myth? muscle memory isn't though and thats your ear (ear burnin with new phones makes you more accustomed to the new nauces it produces), did he burn them in for 3 days with what amp? volume level? he didnt max it out for 3 days right? if thats the case he killed the driver.

As for me I run it on low gain on the fiio A5, e10k as dac when on desktop. more imporatantly just use the 400i where you can hear the dynamics properly on the lower volumes and thats it, a hole on your eardrum is permanent hearing loss.

12. MWSVette
    Hifiman recommends 150 hours of burn in for the HE-400i...

[​IMG]

jasonedwardkirk likes this.
  13. InsTwin
    For me, a little sub-bass boost of 2-3 dBs is perfect.  Then drop the mids just a touch and give it a little extra power.  Swapping pads helped me as well.

Ahhh.... such great listening.

14. Zimtron
    Bandwagon mentality?

Pretty sure I would prefer keeping my cans in tact if they ever got caught on something.

15. DavidA
    It works both ways, my HE560 got knocked off the media rack where they hang by my dog who tripped over the cable but since the SMC connectors don't unplug the HE560 never hit the ground since the extra cable was hooked over the hanger.

In the case of the HD700 which uses a similar connector but with a keyed section on the barrel of the plug its much harder to remove and provides a more secure connection IMO.

First

Back
779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788
790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799
Next

Last