1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MattTCG, Jan 8, 2014.
First

Back
781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790
792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801
Next

Last
  1. paradoxology
    Exactly. The initial rush of giddiness that drove sales after the T50RP was released later subsided into more sober reflection and more reasoned assessments. My guess is that, while these are probably decent headphones, a few warts and blemishes will appear in terms of sound and build quality that will be debated on these fora for a long time to come. X2, anyone?

2. wigglepuff
    Isnt monoprice a company that just rebadges things rather than research and build? so are those drivers really built by them?

3. xcom

I dont think they are.
    As a matter of fact I am about 98% Sure.

4. Zimtron
    Wow this thread got off topic real quick ...

#unsubbed

5. xcom
    So how about them HE-400i? [​IMG]

#backintosubject

6. Voxata
    There's a lot you can do to help the bass, I use a very minor EQ and OCC cables and don't have any bass light issues on my planars.

7. kongo
    Just received my 400i 3 days ago to replace my 598se. i thought my phone could power them (lg v20). Ha that didnt happen. any recommendations for portable amp and desk amp?Im using a fiio e10k for a desk amp for now. I got the 400 of ebay came with a set of triton wires.

8. waflet
    hideeho
    I'm currently using an SMSL m3 from massdrop.com for desktop & a Dragonfly black for portable (although for portable I usually use my Westone um pro 10's). I love the clarity & full range of the 400i w/ the m3 but I would like a little bit fuller sound on the low end. To this end I will probably end up w/ a tube amp like a little dot mkI+ or mkII or Gemtone APPJ or Schiit Vali2 or Darkvoice 336. If anyone has experience with any of these in relation to the 400i, I'd love to hear about it!

9. DavidA
    While I don't use the HE400i as a portable my GF used a Fiio X3 for a few weeks with the 400i and liked it, she then started to use her HD700 with the X3 and now she uses the X3 with a custom Ypsilon build.

of the amps you have listed only the LD mk1+ and Vali2 I would recommend for the HE400i, the LD mk2 and DV 336 are OTL amps and not usually recommended for planar headphones.  Never heard the Gemtone APPJ so can't comment on it.

10. xcom
    Does anybody know who has the HiFiMan Replacement Velour Earpads in-stock?

I bought them from Moon Audio and they have no real estimated time for when they will be in-stock. Would be nice to know before we purchase them...

Thanks for the help!

11. pbarach
    I'm puzzled as to why people think the HE-400i is lacking in low bass. I hear plenty, and the measured frequency response (by Tyll Hertsens) in the bass is flat and extended:
    hifimanfr.jpg
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf

WriterHead likes this.
  12. Selbi
    Missind 6 dB effect maybe? I don't know, I suck at sound science. Could also have to do with that it's open.

13. xcom
    To my understanding the problem is the pads, They do not put enough distance between your ear and the headphones.

14. snellemin
    Feed it enough power and you will feel the bass on your lower jaw.

15. phthora
    I think a lot of people just miss the mid-bass hump that a lot of cans have.

mandrake50 and chowmein83 like this.
First

Back
781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790
792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801
Next

Last