Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #12,691 of 14,386
Why was the backplate removed? Actually, why did they release a second version if the first sounds better?

Who said "better"? The point of my post was just to help explain why there are so many varied opinions on the bass of the 400i. I'm afraid I don't know what Fang was thinking when he decided to remove the backplate, though I am sure it had something to do with perceived gains outweighing perceived losses.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #12,692 of 14,386
Why was the backplate removed? Actually, why did they release a second version if the first sounds better?

How do you check this, around the inside of the cups or are you talking about the outside? A few weeks ago, to make the chambers a little roomier, I ran my finger 360 degrees around the inside of the pads, lifting them away from the cups a little. Ever since then I have thought the headphones sounded a bit brighter but I can't be sure.

1) I think the design change to remove the back plate was to reduce cost which makes is possible since only after the change did the HE400i drop in price. I also think the removal of the back plate was to get a better sound stage / separation in the music without having to do the grill mod.

2) The way I've been checking to see if I have a good seal between the mounting rings on the cups and the ear pads is to stick one or two popsicle sticks to force a break in the seal to see if there is a change in the sound. Got the idea of making sure of a good seal from the HE560 thread where some used silicon glue to create a good seal between the mounting rings of the cups and the plastic mounting rings of the ear pads which helps the bass.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #12,694 of 14,386
1) I think the design change to remove the back plate was to reduce cost which makes is possible since only after the change did the HE400i drop in price. I also think the removal of the back plate was to get a better sound stage / separation in the music without having to do the grill mod.

2) The way I've been checking to see if I have a good seal between the mounting rings on the cups and the ear pads is to stick one or two popsicle sticks to force a break in the seal to see if there is a change in the sound. Got the idea of making sure of a good seal from the HE560 thread where some used silicon glue to create a good seal between the mounting rings of the cups and the plastic mounting rings of the ear pads which helps the bass.

IIRC: the backplate was an inadvertent design choice due to the magnet housing.
With the backplate, it is/was double-sided, they didn't have the technology to attach/secure it properly one-sided, and the backplate contributes similarly to the sound as cupping your hands over your headphones. Smaller soundstage, tad more bass, and perhaps an iota less clarity, hence, why the grill mods have less effect, and IMO are unnecessary with the updated version. Also, the weight.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...th-he400s-drivers.791185/page-2#post-12169176
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...th-he400s-drivers.791185/page-3#post-12173850

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #12,695 of 14,386
And to @Brahmsian what @DavidA said, you could use Blu Tack as well, as it's used by loads of HFM modders, and is removable.
You should be able to tell if the pad has a proper seal from the outside - no gaps visible, and lifting/nudging the pad from the driver housing shouldn't be easy, e.g. no gaps occur when you actually place the headphone on your head.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #12,698 of 14,386
The HE560 seems to have come down a fair bit in price lately.

I haven't actually heard the 560, but thinking of possibly picking it up. I love the HE400i, anyone know how the 560 compares?

HE560 is more neutral, less bass kick. Some would say its brighter. The bass is there and it's good it's just less pronounced. The real difference to me is better imaging and detail. I used both for gaming for a long time and that was immediately apparent. Everything is nice and defined, nothing gets lost or muddied. Bigger soundstage. Needs more power than the 400i.

I'm still not sure if it is worth it over the 400i though. I'd say the 560's current price is more where it really belongs, price wise. The 400i gets you 85%-90% of the way there I'd say. 400i from a value perspective is still one of my favorite headphones ever.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #12,699 of 14,386
Showboating. If you want to show off what the HE400i can do, here are three recordings that do just that in three different genres.

Jazz:

Moore.png

On this album I'm recommending only tracks 7 ("Riverboat"), 9 ("With You in My Mind"), and 10 ("Southern Nights). The positioning of the instruments on the HE400i soundstage literally tickles my mind.

They are available on Youtube but in *much poorer* sound quality than I get from streaming the MQA file on Tidal via Audirvana, so I do not recommend listening to them on Youtube.

Pop:

Astrid S..png

I've said before that pop sounds better to me on the M1060 but Astrid S's "Breathe" is an instance where it sounds just as good or even better on the HE400i.

Classical:

Brahms.png

Brahms Horn Trio. The horn on this recording has a sweetness and a glow that you may never hear again in your life, and the HE400i renders it beautifully!

I streamed all of these on Tidal Hifi. I can't vouch for how they sound on other streaming services.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #12,700 of 14,386
Give my EQ a try with the pads. I think you will like.

200Hz: - 0.5
250Hz: - 0.5
400Hz: - 1.0
500Hz: - 3.5
800Hz: - 1.0
1kHz: - 1.5
12kHz: + 0.5
16kHz: + 1

Well I just received my HE 400i's today and first listen....no, just no! But understand, I'm coming from some pretty bass heavy cans, which is my SS. But reading through the thread I came across these EQ settings. Even though I have the stock pads, I still went ahead with these settings through Equalify pro, but bumped up 50HZ and 100HZ +1db and wow. A completely different sound....and I one I like very much. The bass got punchier, faster and everything just blended perfectly, for me. The mids are recessed a bit and not as forward, but they're still very good which is the strong suite of these cans. The treble started to sparkle and of course the bass.
I went from thinking this is a bust of a trade to a set I'm really starting to enjoy immensely right now. I see a lot more head-time with these in my near future. These are a steal at their current price but with a straight up trade, I couldn't be happier.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #12,701 of 14,386
Well I just received my HE 400i's today and first listen....no, just no! But understand, I'm coming from some pretty bass heavy cans, which is my SS. But reading through the thread I came across these EQ settings. Even though I have the stock pads, I still went ahead with these settings through Equalify pro, but bumped up 50HZ and 100HZ +1db and wow. A completely different sound....and I one I like very much. The bass got punchier, faster and everything just blended perfectly, for me. The mids are recessed a bit and not as forward, but they're still very good which is the strong suite of these cans. The treble started to sparkle and of course the bass.
I went from thinking this is a bust of a trade to a set I'm really starting to enjoy immensely right now. I see a lot more head-time with these in my near future. These are a steal at their current price but with a straight up trade, I couldn't be happier.

The EQ set I put up is definitely not meant to go with the stock pads. The HM5 pads drastically push the mids forward, which causes a honky presentation. It ends up needing to be reduced. The HM5 pads also increase the bass impact and extension quite a bit, right across the entire range. I would suggest you try using my EQ with the HM5 pad upgrade. It makes this headphone sound completely different from stock.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #12,702 of 14,386
The EQ set I put up is definitely not meant to go with the stock pads. The HM5 pads drastically push the mids forward, which causes a honky presentation. It ends up needing to be reduced. The HM5 pads also increase the bass impact and extension quite a bit, right across the entire range. I would suggest you try using my EQ with the HM5 pad upgrade. It makes this headphone sound completely different from stock.

Well, what can I say. I like the settings with the stock pads with a bit of boosted bass. I'm not crazy with the stock sound with stock pads.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #12,703 of 14,386
You might want to try the attenuation rings in the ear pads which might give you what the EQ is doing. Simple, free, give it a shot.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #12,704 of 14,386
Well, what can I say. I like the settings with the stock pads with a bit of boosted bass. I'm not crazy with the stock sound with stock pads.

Nothing like quoting yourself. After getting rid of the EQ settings, I did notice it lost a lot of the mids. They were definitely pushed way back.
I kept the bass boosted a tad with the 12/16hz boosted from your settings.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #12,705 of 14,386
You might want to try the attenuation rings in the ear pads which might give you what the EQ is doing. Simple, free, give it a shot.

I forgot to mention that. I did inset the rings. It did help quite a bit. I'm just someone who likes their bass. It just can't be fat, flabby or overpowering. I personally need some meat on the bones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back