Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 1, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #12,721 of 14,386
Instead of shooting from the hip as I've been doing, what you've recommended is a much better plan. I'd rather spend the $10 on rings versus possibly trashing the stock pads. Why would I want to do that I ask myself? The heating pad idea is also a good one too. Thank you for the alternative.
The more headtime I've had with these, they do sound very good. I just can't continue to A/B them against my other HP's one after another. Relatively speaking, they are very bass light when compared to my other cans, but when I truly listen for a good length of time, they really aren't that bass light. Getting used to the SS and just listening, they're very solid. Looking forward to swapping pads and EQ'ing.
I appreciate all the assistance from you all.

The stock pads don't have the removable ring, you'd be "trashing" them to get the ring separated, (albeit it's just slightly glued to the pads). The official velour pads have a removable ring, and it's the same price as the ring by itself, 10 bucks.
And yeah, the 400i are a bit on the thin side of cans, as discussed here previously :p Not that they're great for the money!

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #12,722 of 14,386
anyone with the Ori pads could post a pic of how they look on the 400i? thinking of buying them since my 2nd pair of replacement pads are splitting again, 60$ is expensive but they look quality.

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #12,724 of 14,386
anyone with the Ori pads could post a pic of how they look on the 400i? thinking of buying them since my 2nd pair of replacement pads are splitting again, 60$ is expensive but they look quality.

They are very much quality as I have them on my THX-00 PH's. Comfy and they sound great. I'm thinking they'll be an upgrade versus the stock pads. Wish I had a pic but I don't

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #12,727 of 14,386
How does it change the SS and do you like?

My percieved changes are a slight boost of sub Bass and tamed highs, and maybe a slightly larger Stage, although i am not quite sure about that.
And the comfort goes up a few steps!

I am very happy with them because they change the few things i sometimes disliked while meintaining its strengths , like its speed.
Especially because I dont use them in a PC Setup and have no chance to EQ them!

Oh and since all the Brainwavz HM5 Pad owners say they bring the mids forward, i feel that the Ori Pads dont, but as always ymmv.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #12,728 of 14,386
IMG_2239.JPG
A picture of mine with the Ori Pads^. These headphones benefit greatly from these pads. The swap extended the sub bass quite a bit and added just enough impact to make them more enjoyable. The highs lost a lot of their harshness.

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #12,729 of 14,386
Just curious, what kind of system are you using to drive the 400i/ I only ask because I have never considered the "highs" to be harsh at all on my set. Not asking to discount any opinions, just sincerely interested.
Granted, I have equipment that may be considered to be on the mellow side of neutral, but not hugely so. Last listening I did with the 400i was with the Pulse infinity driving either the Liquid Carbon or the H10 with Burson V5 opamps.
It just never occurred to me to label the 400i as harsh in any way. I am pretty sensitive to any sibilance or harshness in the high end. Which is likely why I have lots of slightly warm gear.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #12,730 of 14,386
Just curious, what kind of system are you using to drive the 400i/ I only ask because I have never considered the "highs" to be harsh at all on my set. Not asking to discount any opinions, just sincerely interested.
Granted, I have equipment that may be considered to be on the mellow side of neutral, but not hugely so. Last listening I did with the 400i was with the Pulse infinity driving either the Liquid Carbon or the H10 with Burson V5 opamps.
It just never occurred to me to label the 400i as harsh in any way. I am pretty sensitive to any sibilance or harshness in the high end. Which is likely why I have lots of slightly warm gear.

I'm currently using the Magni2/Modi2 as a source. I've heard the Magni2 described as bright, so that might be where the harshness is coming from. I intend to upgrade to a project Polaris soon.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #12,731 of 14,386
I think, having had both, that they are both on the bright side of neutral. Not what I would call a good pairing with the 400i. The Polaris will definitely help (I love mine). But you still have a bright DAC in the chain.
But thanks for the reply. You did answer my question.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #12,732 of 14,386
I'm currently using the Magni2/Modi2 as a source. I've heard the Magni2 described as bright, so that might be where the harshness is coming from. I intend to upgrade to a project Polaris soon.
I think, having had both, that they are both on the bright side of neutral. Not what I would call a good pairing with the 400i. The Polaris will definitely help (I love mine). But you still have a bright DAC in the chain.
But thanks for the reply. You did answer my question.

Agree that the Polaris is a great amp and IMO better than the Magni2 which I also consider on the bright side of neutral. The Modi2uber that I have does not seem to be bright to me but it is a touch brighter than my Bimby and Bifrost Uber.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #12,733 of 14,386
I only ask because I have never considered the "highs" to be harsh at all on my set.
Mostly, I like the highs on my set but sometimes there can be harshness, for example from triangles that sound too close. Human sibilants can also sound harsh, for example on the song "PHILOSOPHY!" by Baio. Generally I don't find it to be a problem though.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #12,734 of 14,386
Agree that the Polaris is a great amp and IMO better than the Magni2 which I also consider on the bright side of neutral. The Modi2uber that I have does not seem to be bright to me but it is a touch brighter than my Bimby and Bifrost Uber.
It is all relative. I bought the Modi 2 uber because I was looking for something more mellow than the ES DACs that I had. This was because I was looking for something to tame the upper midrange/treble of me ..then new, He 560. It did not do the Job. It seemed worse. Anyway, as usual, if it does the job for any specific listener, it IS good. I sold mine after about two months. Not because it was "bad" but because it did not mellow things out as I wished.
Honestly, all of the Schiit gear that I have been able to listen to, short of the Yggy/Ragnorak , has been a bit on the bright side... for my tastes. It just seems that this is the tuning that they (and lots of folks) prefer.
Nothing wrong with this, but it tells me something about how I should interpret it when people using that gear mentions that any headphone sounds harsh.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #12,735 of 14,386
A picture of mine with the Ori Pads^. These headphones benefit greatly from these pads. The swap extended the sub bass quite a bit and added just enough impact to make them more enjoyable. The highs lost a lot of their harshness.

thanks for the pic! damn those make them look huge lol, the comfort looks amazing though, ive never worn Lambskin always velour or pleather. That's good that it doesn't change the sound very negative, didnt want sound to be muddy or have the pads destroy the signature.

- Also have the Project Polaris amp, 1000% recommend it, my next purchase will be the Ember tube amp. Running off modi 2 uber as well. My next project will be cleaning the grills on these, some small specks of dust caught on the holes, mabye use a nail clipper filer thing or toothpick to scoop it out.

edit:: were the Ori pads quite easy to get the stock pad rings into? i noticed the pads are round unlike the HM5 angled pads i tried that were Oval and a nightmare to stretch over the rings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back