Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #12,706 of 14,386
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #12,707 of 14,386
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #12,708 of 14,386
I forgot to mention that. I did inset the rings. It did help quite a bit. I'm just someone who likes their bass. It just can't be fat, flabby or overpowering. I personally need some meat on the bones.
I think you are going to like the "Scarlet" which has more mid bass than the HE400i and its not flabby/overpowering like the stock MDR-1A. The "Scarlet" is more of a "U" shaped signature than the HE400i so the mids might sound a little recessed when you compare them.

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #12,709 of 14,386
I think you are going to like the "Scarlet" which has more mid bass than the HE400i and its not flabby/overpowering like the stock MDR-1A. The "Scarlet" is more of a "U" shaped signature than the HE400i so the mids might sound a little recessed when you compare them.

For sure. I'm looking very forward to hearing them. I've heard so many HP's in the past 3-4 months it's getting difficult to keep track. But what a great issue.The Scarlet's are the most anticipated yet.
I already ordered the pads so I'M looking forward to hearing what they sound like and also try out the EQ settings that Mr. DW75 has so graciously put out there for all of us to try. :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #12,710 of 14,386
Alright, I got my HM5 Pleather Memory Foam Pads today. Let me just say, I do not suggest this for anyone who is afraid to tweak their equipment. I would definitely consider this to be an intermediate level mod. Changing these pads is a bit of a task, but the audio improvements are worth it. Just like the graph showed, the bass impact and extension is very much improved. The bass is now completely flat all the way down to 20hz with no roll off. Soundstage has widened noticeably. With the stock pads, the soundstage depth was better than my DT880, but was more narrow than the DT880. With the HM5 pads, soundstage depth is the same, but width is at least 20 percent wider. Obviously, this would be a result of the ears being a larger distance away from the drivers. The lower mids to midrange region is more forward. The entire 500hz-2Hz region is more pronounced. Vocals are a bit more forward, as are guitars. Guitars have more depth, energy, and warmth. Now, on to what I feel to be the real fault with this headphone with the stock pads, and that is the 7kHz-8kHz peak. I had to EQ this headphone, otherwise I would end up with ear fatigue. After the pad change, that peak is non-existent. There is improved clarity and extension from 10kHz to 16kHz as well. The upper treble roll off is definitely less. Now, there is something I should mention. With these pads removing that 7kHz peak, it will appear that the headphone sounds a bit less detailed, but after an hour of listening, you realize the treble now just sounds correct. You sacrifice that elevated mid treble energy, in exchange for an improvement in bass extension, soundstage width, and better upper treble extension.

To anyone who decides to do this, take your time. The HM5 pads need to be stretched out to get the rings to fit in in the back of them. You are probably looking at a solid 10-15 minutes of stretching for each pad. If it feels like the ring is not going to fit, then continue until the pad stretches a bit more. When you put the rings in, you will notice them bending. Go easy, and don't force it. They can bend somewhat, but within reason. If you are attempting to force them at a 90 degree angle, they will break. The pads are incredibly durable, and can handle the stretching just fine. For anyone wanting to improve the sound of this headphone, I highly recommend this pad change. IMO, it makes the headphone sound far better, and much more balanced.

This is the variant of HM5 pad to be used at the link, for those who decide to do this. Be aware that you have only two options. Number 1, you can sacrifice your Focus Pads, to get access to the rings they have glued on them. Number 2, you can buy another pair of rings direct from Hifiman. I ended up doing Number 1. I sacrificed the Focus Pads, and have no regrets.

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-An...TF8&qid=1499227164&sr=8-1&keywords=hm5+angled

Here is my previous guide for the HM5 pads install.

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #12,711 of 14,386
Here is my previous guide for the HM5 pads install.

Oh great. Intermediate level mod. :astonished:. I'm a novice but what the hell, I'm getting better. At least they're not $80 pads like the Audeze's are on my M1060's.
I'll take my time as I'm also going to be pulling the rings out of the stock pads and I'll go (stretch) lightly until I can work them in. I'm doing this because you said so. :kissing_smiling_eyes::fingers_crossed:
In all seriousness, Thanx for the assistance as I REALLY want to "love" these HP's. The more time I've had on these already today I'm already liking them a lot more.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #12,712 of 14,386
A friend of mine is also an HE400i owner. After he heard mine with the HM5 pads, along with the EQ set, he was blown away. He ended up doing the same pad upgrade, and using the exact same EQ. We all hear things differently, so your EQ in the end may be slightly different than mine. However, it sounds very balanced, with good extension at both ends with that pad and EQ combo. You will find out why my EQ ends up having the mids cut back. The pads push the entire midrange forward. You have to hear it for yourself. It is quite a surprise. I did several hours of critical listening to come up with that final EQ. You will be impressed.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #12,713 of 14,386
Sep 1, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #12,714 of 14,386
Oh great. Intermediate level mod. :astonished:. I'm a novice but what the hell, I'm getting better. At least they're not $80 pads like the Audeze's are on my M1060's.
I'll take my time as I'm also going to be pulling the rings out of the stock pads and I'll go (stretch) lightly until I can work them in. I'm doing this because you said so. :kissing_smiling_eyes::fingers_crossed:
In all seriousness, Thanx for the assistance as I REALLY want to "love" these HP's. The more time I've had on these already today I'm already liking them a lot more.

If you do not want to gut your stock pads, you can order the rings ny themselves drom Hifiman, for $10 shipped. I used those rings, and they are pretty flexible, it did not feel like they were in danger of breaking at anytime when installing them into the HM5 pads.

I used a heating pad to warm up the HM5 pads prior to inserting the rings, worked like a champ.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #12,715 of 14,386
Has anyone noticed that there are 2 different type of pad mounting rings?
Hifiman-pad rings.jpg
Left is from the velour pads that I had and the right are from an old Focus pad that didn't have them glued in. All of my Focus pads have the right style rings except for a spare set that I got recently (Dec 2016)

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #12,719 of 14,386
If you do not want to gut your stock pads, you can order the rings ny themselves drom Hifiman, for $10 shipped. I used those rings, and they are pretty flexible, it did not feel like they were in danger of breaking at anytime when installing them into the HM5 pads.

I used a heating pad to warm up the HM5 pads prior to inserting the rings, worked like a champ.

Instead of shooting from the hip as I've been doing, what you've recommended is a much better plan. I'd rather spend the $10 on rings versus possibly trashing the stock pads. Why would I want to do that I ask myself? The heating pad idea is also a good one too. Thank you for the alternative.
The more headtime I've had with these, they do sound very good. I just can't continue to A/B them against my other HP's one after another. Relatively speaking, they are very bass light when compared to my other cans, but when I truly listen for a good length of time, they really aren't that bass light. Getting used to the SS and just listening, they're very solid. Looking forward to swapping pads and EQ'ing.
I appreciate all the assistance from you all.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #12,720 of 14,386
Instead of shooting from the hip as I've been doing, what you've recommended is a much better plan. I'd rather spend the $10 on rings versus possibly trashing the stock pads. Why would I want to do that I ask myself? The heating pad idea is also a good one too. Thank you for the alternative.
The more headtime I've had with these, they do sound very good. I just can't continue to A/B them against my other HP's one after another. Relatively speaking, they are very bass light when compared to my other cans, but when I truly listen for a good length of time, they really aren't that bass light. Getting used to the SS and just listening, they're very solid. Looking forward to swapping pads and EQ'ing.
I appreciate all the assistance from you all.

You are certainly welcome. The heating pad makes the hm5 material soft enough that it is pliable without having to stretch the material (much) over the rings. I just put the heating pad on high and set the pads flap side down for about 15 minutes. Then I just pulled one pad at a time and insert the rings.

Even if you do not notice a huge difference in sound, the improvement in general comfort was enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back