Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Apr 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #541 of 756
hello i am really new to this forum, and i have read through this thread just a couple of questions. i have a pair of he400 that i would like to change the pads.

i have tried the focus A pads and i am wondering how easy it would be to use audeze's pads? like do i need to peal the mounting ring from the stock hifiman pads for it?

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #542 of 756

i have tried the focus A pads and i am wondering how easy it would be to use audeze's pads? like do i need to peal the mounting ring from the stock hifiman pads for it?

I haven't tried the Audeze pads, nor do I have Audeze headphones, but it is my understanding that no other brand uses similar mounting rings to the Hifiman ones, so if you want to mount non-Hifiman pads (e.g. Audeze pads) you will need to use the mounting rings from Hifiman pads. Also, the Audeze pads are quite a lot bigger than the Hifiman ones, in diameter as well as in thickness, so they will sort of stand out due to having a larger diameter than the headphones themselfes (there are pics in this thread somewhere). Doesn't really have any practical significance (as far as I know), but nice to know anyway.

So short answer: Yes, you need to use the Hifiman mounting rings.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #543 of 756
FWIW, I just used the adhesive rings that come with the Audeze pads to stick them to the cups of the HE-500; no mounting rings involved.  Yes, the pads are larger than the HFM rings and cups, so it was important to get the alignment correct before really securing the pads.  Not too difficult, just necessary.  Using the HFM mounting rings would save one that step.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #545 of 756
  So short answer: Yes, you need to use the Hifiman mounting rings.

Seems I was wrong on that one, oops. Though I assume that the Audeze adhesive ring, like most adhesives, wont't stick again if you take the pads off. Is the Audeze mounting ring sturdy enough to survive a removal so that you could reglue it with some additional adesive in case the pads need to be removed?

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #546 of 756
  Seems I was wrong on that one, oops. Though I assume that the Audeze adhesive ring, like most adhesives, wont't stick again if you take the pads off. Is the Audeze mounting ring sturdy enough to survive a removal so that you could reglue it with some additional adesive in case the pads need to be removed?

Correct, it will not stick, mostly because some (a lot) of the vinyl on the cup-side of the pads will be left behind when you remove the pads.  Strong double-sided tape like carpet tape, or even those Scotch Reusable Stickies work fine for reattachment.  They just require a bit more work to cut them into suitably sized pieces.

The Audeze pads don't use a separate mounting ring like the HFM cans.  They're just vinyl rings on the underside of the pads; they are integral parts of the pads.

As you can guess, I've removed and reattached the Audeze pads, but only once.  I received four adhesive rings when I ordered the pads from B&H Photo.  That may be the standard Audeze package.  I reckon the pads could be removed and reattached at least two times, possibly more.  If you want to experience how they sound without committing to direct attachment, less sticky generic double-sided tape would probably work short-term.  From experience, I can say that short-term method works for a lot of pads I've tried on the HE-500.  And the HFM mounting rings could be used, I suppose.

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #548 of 756
Hi guys! I just purchased audeze vegan pads for my HE-560. I plan on using the Audeze adhesive ring to make mounting easier instead of using the hifiman rings. My question is, what's the correct mountig orientation of these pads? How do I know they're mounted the right way? :)

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #549 of 756
Hi guys! I just purchased audeze vegan pads for my HE-560. I plan on using the Audeze adhesive ring to make mounting easier instead of using the hifiman rings. My question is, what's the correct mountig orientation of these pads? How do I know they're mounted the right way?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can fit the Audeze pads on the HE-560 and get the yokes that hold the HE-560 cups to move freely enough under the pads, I'll be impressed.  The Audeze pads are huge compared to the FocusPads that come with the HE-560, and there's precious little room under those yokes.

As for positioning, any angled pads are designed so that the thickest part is situated at the back of the cup (and your head), which forces the cups (and transducers) to angle forward (toward your face).

What I found with the Audeze pads on my HE-500, which have a bit more clearance under the yokes than the HE-560, was that I needed to have the top of the pads lower than they would be if they were mounted dead center.  You can experiment with the positioning using simple double-sided tape on the pads.  Once you've optimized the position, you can make it "permanent" with stronger stuff like the adhesive rings that come with the Audeze pads.

One note about the adhesive rings: given the circumference of the rings (and pads) is greater than that of the HiFiMAN cups, I found it best to cut the adhesive rings into quarters before trying to position them on the CUPS (not the underside of the pads, as you will likely not be able to center the pads on the cups).

A lot to take in.  Hopefully it helps.  Do post your impressions of the Audeze pads on the HE-560.  I could never get them to work, so I made my own pads.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #550 of 756
Hmm,

I browsed through 37 pages of the thread, but didn't really find as much information as was buried in the HE-400i impressions thread -> Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads, measurements vs. the stock (angled) Focuspads. Thanks to @James Myers!

The measurements alone made me order the pads, along with official "crappy"=cheap HFM pads, just to get the rings.

And another link, how to install them.

Also, another video. Some discussion with pleather vs. velour, along with changing the pads, though HE-350, but the same procedure.

Hope this helps, or at least is interesting!

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #553 of 756
I just bought used HE500 in an excellent shape with Cardas cables and after few days I wanted to replace the pads with Brainwavz hybrid pads. Removing the Hifiman pads was not a problem but the Brainwaivz pads looked too small. I attempted very carefully to put them on one of the mounting rings and snap.. I did not even bend it just flexed it a bit. Not completely broken, I managed to it with super glue and very thin tape so I was able to put back  the old pads with no problems but..Why is hifiman using such a fragile, cheap plastic on a relatively expensive phones? 
I called the support, send a note with the picture and hopefully I will get a replacement but I should really ask for like 5 of those.
Does anyone know if, for example,  the HE560 rings are the same as HE500?  Otherwise I may have a hard time getting a replacement ring for discontinued phones.
I just joined this thread but I think that some people reported similar problems. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #554 of 756
  I just bought used HE500 in an excellent shape with Cardas cables and after few days I wanted to replace the pads with Brainwavz hybrid pads. Removing the Hifiman pads was not a problem but the Brainwaivz pads looked too small. I attempted very carefully to put them on one of the mounting rings and snap.. I did not even bend it just flexed it a bit. Not completely broken, I managed to it with super glue and very thin tape so I was able to put back  the old pads with no problems but..Why is hifiman using such a fragile, cheap plastic on a relatively expensive phones? 
I called the support, send a note with the picture and hopefully I will get a replacement but I should really ask for like 5 of those.
Does anyone know if, for example,  the HE560 rings are the same as HE500?  Otherwise I may have a hard time getting a replacement ring for discontinued phones.
I just joined this thread but I think that some people reported similar problems. 

Hi, sorry for the rather late reply, been abroad on a trip, but yeah, as I mentioned, that along with working the leather - it doesn't hurt to "warm" up the rings' plastic properties a bit, taking it easy - and bending them a bit before/during the installing procedure, so they won't crack - akin to working with colder/brittler metal/plastic.

Also, the question about HE-560/500 rings, all the official HE rings fit all HE models, e.g. have the same mounting system. The official HiFiMAN store has the following description on their HE pads: "The earpads are compatible to all HE-series headphones (including HE400S, 560, 400i, 300, 400, 500, 4, 5, 6, 5LE)"
And related to your ring question: Official Velour earpads are the cheapest, have the removable ring, here's what I said in my Amazon review :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back