Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Dec 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #571 of 756
I don't have big ears, no. However, I don't think the mod takes that much space away from the inside considering we have to stretch the pads to cover the HiFiMan headphone diameter which increases the width.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #572 of 756
I don't have big ears, no. However, I don't think the mod takes that much space away from the inside considering we have to stretch the pads to cover the HiFiMan headphone diameter which increases the width.

Being 6' 5" (1.95 m), I've got a head and ears to match, but more to the point, I did not mount my pads by stretching them over the mounting rings, just adhered them to the rings.  I did stretch them out a bit, but the interior tends to go back to its natural oval shape.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #573 of 756

Being 6' 5" (1.95 m), I've got a head and ears to match, but more to the point, I did not mount my pads by stretching them over the mounting rings, just adhered them to the rings.  I did stretch them out a bit, but the interior tends to go back to its natural oval shape.

I'm betting that there's audible differences between an oval and a more rounded shape, FR curve-wise.
And I bet all the oval angled HM5 pads revert to a more oval than round shape in time, I don't think stretching for a day could change the shape permanently, even with the standard HiFiMAN mounting ring, as I've got that stretching the pad all the time, but it's still oval :p

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #574 of 756
I put the old HiFiMan mounting rings inside the HM5 pads, so my pads probably get much more stretch than yours. And I'm 193cm tall BTW...

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #575 of 756

I'm betting that there's audible differences between an oval and a more rounded shape, FR curve-wise.
And I bet all the oval angled HM5 pads revert to a more oval than round shape in time, I don't think stretching for a day could change the shape permanently, even with the standard HiFiMAN mounting ring, as I've got that stretching the pad all the time, but it's still oval :p

Sure.
Yep, absolutely.  Nope, that's why I put those compressed air cans in them when I'm not using them.  May stop that practice, though, as the oval shape is more ergonomic (as noted).  With the HE-560, the key to comfort is the right tension in the spring steel headband.  Fortunately, it's really easy to tweak it in either direction.  Like the pads, the headband tends to revert to tighter over time, though not as quickly.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #576 of 756

Sure.
Yep, absolutely.  Nope, that's why I put those compressed air cans in them when I'm not using them.  May stop that practice, though, as the oval shape is more ergonomic (as noted).  With the HE-560, the key to comfort is the right tension in the spring steel headband.  Fortunately, it's really easy to tweak it in either direction.  Like the pads, the headband tends to revert to tighter over time, though not as quickly.

Yeah, might be interesting to see measured curves with the same pad, but different shapes, if the measuring equipment/process would be reliable enough. Or just be happy with whatever you've got or whatever you're satisfied with :p

I'm extremely happy with my angled pleather ones, and you've mentioned that the headband-tightness due to the larger profile of the pad vs. the stock one is a problem for you, may I ask, is it because the sheepskin ones aren't as plush as the pleathers?
Part of my liking is directly related to the plushy goodness of the pleather ones, they seal awesomely due to their softness/adaptiveness, feel to my ears/ear akin to cloudy cotton, even though I haven't bent the headband, and the squeeze *is* there.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #577 of 756
Measurements are fun to look at, but beyond my ability.  Given it's down to total system synergy and what sounds best to any given listener, I just roll and tweak until I get what I want.  I'm definitely not saying it's extensible beyond my head and rig.

Yes, real leather is definitely stiffer in relation to pleather or vinyl.  But this leather is wonderfully soft and supple, and gives plenty.  The HM5 pads are thicker in general compared to the stock pads, so it stands to reason that one may need to spread the headband a bit to relax it.  Or not.  Never know 'til you put it on your head.  When I first put the HE-560 on, with stock FocusPads, it literally was a painful experience.  Then I read a post (probably by jerg) about how the headband could be bent out.  That spring steel is some serious schiit!

re: seal, yep, the pleathers seem to seal better.  Also, the oval shape, being more ergonomic, seals better with the leathers.  I think the leather softens up as it heats up (15 min. or so), and seals better over time.  That, or my head just gets used to them in that time, but I'm pretty sure the seal improves.  Round vs. oval... more room with the former, better seal (and thus bass, at the very least) with the latter.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #578 of 756
  Measurements are fun to look at, but beyond my ability.  Given it's down to total system synergy and what sounds best to any given listener, I just roll and tweak until I get what I want.  I'm definitely not saying it's extensible beyond my head and rig.

Yes, real leather is definitely stiffer in relation to pleather or vinyl.  But this leather is wonderfully soft and supple, and gives plenty.  The HM5 pads are thicker in general compared to the stock pads, so it stands to reason that one may need to spread the headband a bit to relax it.  Or not.  Never know 'til you put it on your head.  When I first put the HE-560 on, with stock FocusPads, it literally was a painful experience.  Then I read a post (probably by jerg) about how the headband could be bent out.  That spring steel is some serious schiit!

re: seal, yep, the pleathers seem to seal better.  Also, the oval shape, being more ergonomic, seals better with the leathers.  I think the leather softens up as it heats up (15 min. or so), and seals better over time.  That, or my head just gets used to them in that time, but I'm pretty sure the seal improves.  Round vs. oval... more room with the former, better seal (and thus bass, at the very least) with the latter.

Nice to hear your impressions, and truth be told: I doubt there's more than a handful of people who might actually find such measurements interesting :p

I found the HD650 extremely tight from the start, but had no problem with the HiFiMAN, read the same option to bend the steel-part a bit as well, it's nice to have an option there.
I kinda think that the squeeze is semi-tight with my 400i, as I can wobble my head quite freely but the headphones stay in the designated place rather securely - it's just the plushness of pads which keeps it super comfy. Been awhile since I've used the stock FocusPads, but they are rather plush as well - and for my head, a lot comfier than the rather rigid velour-foam of the HD650, even after the initial headband tightness has gone away.
I should be receiving the Audeze lambskin pads in a while, well, along with LCD-X, so perhaps I'll try those as well with the 400i. And if my interest piques, some other ones as well!

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #582 of 756

Quite a lovely set! Any problems whilst installing?

I've been using Brainwavz angled pads for my HE-400 for about 1,5 years...initially I trimmed the rings outer edges to fit the pads...but I found out a bit late that by stretching the hell out of the pads you can fit the original rings without trimming. No probs also installing them on the HE-500 (got these after selling my LCD2F).

For the HE-350...no probs fitting Hifiman rings on Denon pads...nice fit!
FYI, I'm using 3D printed rings on the HE-350.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1784520

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #583 of 756

I've been using Brainwavz angled pads for my HE-400 for about 1,5 years...initially I trimmed the rings outer edges to fit the pads...but I found out a bit late that by stretching the hell out of the pads you can fit the original rings without trimming. No probs also installing them on the HE-500 (got these after selling my LCD2F).

For the HE-350...no probs fitting Hifiman rings on Denon pads...nice fit!
FYI, I'm using 3D printed rings on the HE-350.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1784520

Oh,

that 3d print is a nice find, hasn't been posted on this thread before.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #585 of 756
I've been pad rolling like a madman with my HE-400is and HE-400s.

I've tried:

- Velour
- Focus Pads
- ZMF Ori
- Ether C angled ear pads
- Alpha pads (genuine lamb-leather)

After testing all of those I found that the Alpha pads sound best on the 400i and the Ether C sound best on the 400s.

I've been avoiding the Brainwavz HM-5s because of the horror stories about getting the rings to fit.

Has anyone compared the HM-5z to the Alphas?  I'm wondering if its worth trying one more set of pads if they trump the Alphas.

BTW, I'm driving my 400is via active-ground balanced mode from a TEAC UD-503 as a headphone amp which is in turn fed from Resonessence Herus+ as a DAC to the TEAC's line-in.

Sounds amazing.  Its funny that the little Herus+ sounds better than the DAC in the UD-503!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back