Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #12,661 of 14,386
I ordered a pair of pad rings from Hifiman and some Brainwavz HM5 angled pads, and after installing them they drastically increased the comfort, and I thought the stock Focus pads were pretty comfortable already.

I'll need to put in some listening time before I am sold on any improvement in sound.
Are those the newer round ones or the oval shaped ones? A friend tried the oval ones and cracked both mounting rings and even with a new set of mounting rings the oval pads didn't have a good seal with the cups.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #12,662 of 14,386
Are those the newer round ones or the oval shaped ones? A friend tried the oval ones and cracked both mounting rings and even with a new set of mounting rings the oval pads didn't have a good seal with the cups.

The ovals. I had no issues with stretching the pads over the rings, but I took my time and warmed the bottom of the pads up before doing it.

Once the rings are in, if you spend a minute or two working the part of the pads that go over the rings you can get any bumps and distortions out. Mine have no gaps and are sealed quite well, they almost look stock.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #12,663 of 14,386
The ovals. I had no issues with stretching the pads over the rings, but I took my time and warmed the bottom of the pads up before doing it.

Once the rings are in, if you spend a minute or two working the part of the pads that go over the rings you can get any bumps and distortions out. Mine have no gaps and are sealed quite well, they almost look stock.
My friend used a hair drier to warm the pads but it didn't stretch enough to fit the rings and after cooling it never sat flat so there was always a gap between the pad and cup no matter how much she tried to work the pads. It could also be that the pads were just on the smaller side of the manufactures tolerance. She ended up getting the Massdrop Dekoni pads for the TH900 which fit quite well.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #12,664 of 14,386
My friend used a hair drier to warm the pads but it didn't stretch enough to fit the rings and after cooling it never sat flat so there was always a gap between the pad and cup no matter how much she tried to work the pads. It could also be that the pads were just on the smaller side of the manufactures tolerance. She ended up getting the Massdrop Dekoni pads for the TH900 which fit quite well.
How does the TH900 Dekoni pads sound with the HE-400i's? I have the fenestrated TH900 pads but I have yet to try them out on anything even on my TH900 MKII's.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #12,665 of 14,386
How does the TH900 Dekoni pads sound with the HE-400i's? I have the fenestrated TH900 pads but I have yet to try them out on anything even on my TH900 MKII's.
I wouldn't recommend them if you don't do the grill mod since the Dekoni pads bring the mids forward too much without the grill mod, but even with the grill mod its a bit too much for me. Bringing the mids forward is what you want for the TH900/TH600 so the Dekoni pads are great for them.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #12,666 of 14,386
I wouldn't recommend them if you don't do the grill mod since the Dekoni pads bring the mids forward too much without the grill mod, but even with the grill mod its a bit too much for me. Bringing the mids forward is what you want for the TH900/TH600 so the Dekoni pads are great for them.
Ahhh, I'm going to have to install them on my TH900's to see if they are an improvement. As long as it doesn't mess with the bass on the TH900's this could be a win.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #12,667 of 14,386
Ahhh, I'm going to have to install them on my TH900's to see if they are an improvement. As long as it doesn't mess with the bass on the TH900's this could be a win.
To be clear my Dekoni pads are the sheep skin ones which is the same one that my friend has and not the fenestrated ones. If you are worried about the bass I would use attenuation rings, simple to make and basically free since all you need is a piece of card stock or similar material, you can also do a little tuning by changing the size/shape/placement of the rings.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #12,668 of 14,386

Interesting. I did not "stretch" the pads to get the rings in. I just put the rings in one side and started working them in. The flap part, stayed flat against the ring, with only a little bulge where the clips are on the rings.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #12,669 of 14,386
Interesting. I did not "stretch" the pads to get the rings in. I just put the rings in one side and started working them in. The flap part, stayed flat against the ring, with only a little bulge where the clips are on the rings.
Its why I think the manufacturing tolerance or QC is not the best and my friend just got pair that were slightly off.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #12,670 of 14,386
I ordered a pair of pad rings from Hifiman and some Brainwavz HM5 angled pads, and after installing them they drastically increased the comfort, and I thought the stock Focus pads were pretty comfortable already.

I'll need to put in some listening time before I am sold on any improvement in sound.

Give my EQ a try with the pads. I think you will like.

200Hz: - 0.5
250Hz: - 0.5
400Hz: - 1.0
500Hz: - 3.5
650Hz: - 1.0
800Hz: - 1.0
1kHz: - 1.5
10kHz: - 0.5

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #12,671 of 14,386
I think the older models were better constructed since my HE400i and HE560 are a little over 3 years old and don't have as bad a scratch as shown in the picture.
Could be. I will note, however, that I can barely see the scratches on my v2. Almost invisible. Didn't even notice them until I looked just now. Nowhere near what you see in the picture and mine are 3 months old or so.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #12,672 of 14,386
Its why I think the manufacturing tolerance or QC is not the best and my friend just got pair that were slightly off.
My angled oval pleather HM5s required some heavy stretching/warming up, along with warming up the HiFiMANs ring to counter any brittleness. It was on the tight side, and initially provided the crappy seal (it was due to the tighter fit bending the ring), but it basically flattened out and sorted itself in a matter of hours for a tight seal, even tighter than the official Focuspads due to more pleathery material from the pad being between the ring/driver mount.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #12,674 of 14,386
First post ever.

How do the ZMF Ori pads sound with this current iteration of the 400i? Specifically, what sonic changes do they make? I find the focus pads pretty uncomfortobale and am looking at the Ori pads as a solution.
Congrats on joining but I have yet to hear the Ori pads on a HE400i. What is it that you find uncomfortable about the stock Focus pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back