Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #12,646 of 14,386
Just a heads up to anyone looking for these headphones. Ritz Camera is selling them for 209.00 with free shipping and no-tax if you live outside of NJ!

Just got a pair, with standard shipping they showed up next day to MA!
Is that the newer version with the 2.5mm connectors or the older version with SMC connectors? In either case that is an amazing price.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #12,650 of 14,386
Wouldn't that mean it has the backplate they removed in newer versions as well? If that's the case, it would still be something to consider. There are some people who prefer the sound of the original version.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #12,652 of 14,386
I just got off the phone with Ritz, the lady confirmed that it is the OLDER version, with the SMC connector. I am so disappointed :frowning2:
I'm one that likes the older version better but will need to do the grill mod. After trying listening to a few older SMC/back plate and a few 2.5mm versions I found the older SMC model to be less harsh in the highs and a little more extended in the bass, not a big difference but noticeable to most. FWIW I think there have been more problems with the 2.5mm than the SMC. I know some had problems with the SMC un-screwing but it you attach them with a little twist in the cable they will stay securely connected but they will be a PITA if you are constantly attaching/detaching the cables. I've also found that the TRS design does not last as long as the SMC. with every day use the 2.5mm jacks started to get loose and sometimes the signal would cut out intermittently.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #12,653 of 14,386
@WindssKat Wondering if the lady was mistaken as @ksorota received the newer version, what I meant by my post, no sales after early 2016 have been with the older SMC versions reported here/elsewhere, they've always been the newer version :p Seems odd that a vendor would still get a shipment to their stock with the older connections.

@phthora no confirmed sightings of backplateless SMCs, some factory repaired around late 2015 have been reported, but I haven't seen a single photo of one. I'd confirm with @DavidA 's assessments from what I've heard comparing them, perhaps the stock backplate version has a slightly smaller soundstage, and a smidgen of less detail/instrument separation as well. Grill mods do elevate it.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #12,654 of 14,386
@drwlf , I was wondering about the same too. I especially told her that the picture on the website is showing the 2.5mm regular connector. She says that was the wrong picture and they will change it.

I already brought one from Amazon Hifiman storefront, i have 2 more weeks until the return period expires, but i think I am keeping it because of the warranty.

I love this headphone, love it :)

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #12,655 of 14,386
The one I received was the newer version, with the 2.5 connectors!

I received mine today from Ritz Camera and this one also has the 2.5mm connectors. I did not know Ritz Camera is not an authorized Hifiman dealer. Oh, well.

Head band clamping force and headphone weight is more than I expected comparing to HD600.

I just noticed scratches on both side after adjusting the head band height a few times. Is this normal issue with the 400i?

IMG_20170818_171529.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #12,656 of 14,386
I received mine today from Ritz Camera and this one also has the 2.5mm connectors. I did not know Ritz Camera is not an authorized Hifiman dealer. Oh, well.

Head band clamping force and headphone weight is more than I expected comparing to HD600.

I just noticed scratches on both side after adjusting the head band height a few times. Is this normal issue with the 400i?

On the inside of the headband, yes it is. I believe that there is a small spring loaded pawl made out of metal inside the plastic headband adjustment sliders. This metal pawl scratches the inside of the headband every time you adjust the fit.

Not ideal, but also not very visible. I don't mind.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #12,657 of 14,386
On the inside of the headband, yes it is. I believe that there is a small spring loaded pawl made out of metal inside the plastic headband adjustment sliders. This metal pawl scratches the inside of the headband every time you adjust the fit.

Not ideal, but also not very visible. I don't mind.

It is less than a day old. Will it get worse as time passes?

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #12,658 of 14,386

You can bend the headband to lessen the clamping force, its what I had to do to keep from getting a head ache. I also feel that if the ear pads are constantly compressed they will affect the life of the Focus pads.

The scratch will not change much since only the layer of paint has been removed and you can touch it up if it bothers you that much. I think the older models were better constructed since my HE400i and HE560 are a little over 3 years old and don't have as bad a scratch as shown in the picture.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #12,659 of 14,386
It is less than a day old. Will it get worse as time passes?

No, not really. Mine are 2 years old and still look almost identical to yours.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #12,660 of 14,386
I ordered a pair of pad rings from Hifiman and some Brainwavz HM5 angled pads, and after installing them they drastically increased the comfort, and I thought the stock Focus pads were pretty comfortable already.

I'll need to put in some listening time before I am sold on any improvement in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back