Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jul 18, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #9,511 of 14,386
Forgive the unenlightened but what is that amp?
redface.gif

Andix Audio HPA-45

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #9,512 of 14,386
I haven't heard the shure high end iems so I can't comment on their REZOLUSHONNN vs the hifimans. What I can say is that the Hifimans are clear and detailed enough for me, coming from low-fi purgatory.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #9,514 of 14,386
  I haven't heard the shure high end iems so I can't comment on their REZOLUSHONNN vs the hifimans. What I can say is that the Hifimans are clear and detailed enough for me, coming from low-fi purgatory.

Sorry for double post.  I'd say the Hifimans are pretty good stacked up against the flagships too.  SE846 isn't the most resolving thing in the world (duck and cover).

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #9,516 of 14,386
I also don't understand complaints about the HE-400i being not resolving enough. As others have mentioned, you will be hard-pressed to find any headphone that is as resolving and as transparent as the HE-400i at its price point, especially if you were able to buy one at USD299 (during last year's Black Friday/Christmas sale). You will have to go to summit-fi territory (e.g., HD800/S, T1, K812) to exceed the HE-400i's resolution. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #9,517 of 14,386
For those of you with the Asgard 2, are you having any problems driving these? It seems that the power drops off on spec for it for this application, just curious what the real world implications are? 

Equipment: Centrance Dacport Slim, DacPortable HD (Coming...), TH-X00 Purpleheart, AKG K7XX, Xiaomi Piston 3, and other miscillaneous stuff. Musician and recovering Audiophile.

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #9,518 of 14,386
For those of you with the Asgard 2, are you having any problems driving these? It seems that the power drops off on spec for it for this application, just curious what the real world implications are? 

Equipment: Centrance Dacport Slim, DacPortable HD (Coming...), TH-X00 Purpleheart, AKG K7XX, Xiaomi Piston 3, and other miscillaneous stuff. Musician and recovering Audiophile.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong...is the power dropping off correctly or are you having cutouts?

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #9,519 of 14,386

Do not even need to turn it up half way to damage your ears, the A2 has twice as much power as the 400i will ever need.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #9,521 of 14,386
  So I had some leftover Monster 650i cable, when making some xlr connection cables for my other equipment.  I always liked the monster cables for the lowend bass improvement in music.  So I made me a cable for the 400i.  I like it much better over the stock cable for movies.  

Very nice...

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #9,522 of 14,386
So I had some leftover Monster 650i cable, when making some xlr connection cables for my other equipment.  I always liked the monster cables for the lowend bass improvement in music.  So I made me a cable for the 400i.  I like it much better over the stock cable for movies.  

Would.you be able to do 1 for me bro.

Wanting to buy He400i with a friend.

Cannot be satisfied with the he500 now..

Wanted to test the he400i also with mojo and dpx1..

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #9,524 of 14,386
Would.you be able to do 1 for me bro.

Wanting to buy He400i with a friend.

Cannot be satisfied with the he500 now..

Wanted to test the he400i also with mojo and dpx1..

Thanks,
Jonathan

I don't have any cable pants left and no more of the old school Monster 4 conductor rca cables that is used from the cable pants to the headphones.

Very nice...

Thanks

@snellemin, really nice workmanship on the cables, as I noted in the rep aren't the cables quite heavy for use with a headphone?

It is heavy if you have it dangling around.  But I have it resting on my lap, so weight is not an issue for me.  I sit through a 2-3 hour movie just fine with these headphones.  
I used to run straight up RCA cable with adapters I had made. Talk about heavy on the head.  But this is how I found out that I liked the sound of the Monster 650i cable.  I used cheaper and more expensive cables with varying results.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back