Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jul 19, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #9,526 of 14,386
  Now if only I could read Japanese!

Yeah, sorry.  And their website is one of those ancient versions that doesn`t respond to google translate.  The pdf I linked to is translatable, though.  
Andix is a small audio-tube specialty shop that started making high-res headphone audio tube amps a couple of years ago.  Mine is the HPA-45, and I got all the options: USB, optical and coaxial digital input and a 24/192 DAC; phono stage input; and speaker taps.  I bought this amp specifically for my HD800, and it was a great combo - served me well for almost two years until I sold my HD800.  Now, it is making the 400i really sing; really brings out a different character form the headphone, from what I hear from the AK120ii and/or the Ratoc balanced portable amp.  I like all three combos.  Actually, with the Andix amp, the sound options multiply because I can bypass its DAC and use only it`s analogue stage to amplify the AK`s cirrus logic dacs or the Ratoc Sabre ESS dacs . . .  Lots of variation.  

Loving the 400i - can`t wait for my Audeze pads to arrive ! 

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #9,528 of 14,386
  Wondering why you chose the Audeze pads? Reason being that I was leaning towards the Focus pads. 

I had Audeze vegan pads on my HE-6 and they were by far the most comfortable I tried, both for their memory-foaminess and alcantara`s ability to remain comfortable in warm/humid climates.  They also, by virtue of their sheer size, bring out the maximum bass response from the hifiman drivers (at least they did on the HE-6, on my skull; I`m expecting similar results on the 400i).   

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #9,529 of 14,386
So how do a pair of LCD 2.2 fazored compare to a pair of HE400is ?  I am curious because you can find used lcd2s for not too much more than the he400is.  I am looking for a headphone that leans slightly to the warmer side of things and has good bass response.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #9,530 of 14,386
  So how do a pair of LCD 2.2 fazored compare to a pair of HE400is ?  I am curious because you can find used lcd2s for not too much more than the he400is.  I am looking for a headphone that leans slightly to the warmer side of things and has good bass response.

LCD-2f will be smoother in the mids and highs but I wouldn't say they are warmer than the HE-400i, just a little more refined and with a bit more weight in the overall tone.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #9,531 of 14,386

Wondering why you chose the Audeze pads? Reason being that I was leaning towards the Focus pads. 

I had Audeze vegan pads on my HE-6 and they were by far the most comfortable I tried, both for their memory-foaminess and alcantara`s ability to remain comfortable in warm/humid climates.  They also, by virtue of their sheer size, bring out the maximum bass response from the hifiman drivers (at least they did on the HE-6, on my skull; I`m expecting similar results on the 400i).   

Thx, that's helpful.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #9,533 of 14,386
  I should definitely try different pads of my cans soon.  Never done much pad rolling to be fully honest.

Did a little pad rolling, stock pleather, velour, focus, focus-a and spare pads from my SRH-1840.
For the HE-400, the focus seems to give the best balance of sonic and comfort
For HE-400i/560, ended up liking the stock focus best
On of these days may try the HM5 or similar, but since I don't usually use the HE-400i that much it may be just a waste of time at this point

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #9,534 of 14,386
  Did a little pad rolling, stock pleather, velour, focus, focus-a and spare pads from my SRH-1840.
For the HE-400, the focus seems to give the best balance of sonic and comfort
For HE-400i/560, ended up liking the stock focus best
On of these days may try the HM5 or similar, but since I don't usually use the HE-400i that much it may be just a waste of time at this point

yeah, 90% of the time I think companies get their stock pads right.  I think the HE400i, for the vast majority of people, the stock pads will be best.  I own probably the most infamous pad rolling headphone out there (THX00) and even then, I think they probably made the right choice for most people with the stock pads, and I go back and forth on if I like the stock pads or the lawton pads better.  

Also funny that I think the HE400i got the stock pads right, when the HE400s is probably the only headphone I've tried where I completely believe that they got the stock pads wrong, and should have went with the focus pads over the felt pads.  I am not cynical towards HiFiMan, but I definitely understand why a lot of people think HiFiMan intentionally handicapped the HE400s with the felt pads, because otherwise it came too close to the HE400i.

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #9,535 of 14,386

yeah, 90% of the time I think companies get their stock pads right.  I think the HE400i, for the vast majority of people, the stock pads will be best.  I own probably the most infamous pad rolling headphone out there (THX00) and even then, I think they probably made the right choice for most people with the stock pads, and I go back and forth on if I like the stock pads or the lawton pads better.  

Also funny that I think the HE400i got the stock pads right, when the HE400s is probably the only headphone I've tried where I completely believe that they got the stock pads wrong, and should have went with the focus pads over the felt pads.  I am not cynical towards HiFiMan, but I definitely understand why a lot of people think HiFiMan intentionally handicapped the HE400s with the felt pads, because otherwise it came too close to the HE400i.

So you think the HE-400S with focus pads in quite close to the HE-400i?  Haven't heard a 400S yet but was a little curious that some like it better than the 400i and HD-650, more so since they are easier to drive it seems.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #9,536 of 14,386
  So you think the HE-400S with focus pads in quite close to the HE-400i?  Haven't heard a 400S yet but was a little curious that some like it better than the 400i and HD-650, more so since they are easier to drive it seems.

it's pretty close to the HE400i with focus pads, yes.  I still like the HE400i better by a decent margin (cleaner, faster bass, less ringing, better imaging accuracy), but if I was faced with paying full price for a HE400i and HE400s with focus pads, I'd be torn.  

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #9,537 of 14,386
Hi to all d sifus in headfi...
Currently looking for an upgrade from beyers cop and targeted he-400i as 1 of d option...
Understand that dis headphone have a revised version or should say newer version...
Comparing d old & new one,which is a better buy or have better sounding compare to each other...
As i know they have change d connector,but not reali sure for other things...
Hopefully all d sifus here can shed some light...
Btw,i am using a HA-2 DAC/amp as i prefer my setup light...
Thx...

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #9,538 of 14,386

Quote:
Currently looking for an upgrade from beyers cop and targeted he-400i as 1 of d option...
Understand that dis headphone have a revised version or should say newer version...
Comparing d old & new one,which is a better buy or have better sounding compare to each other...
Thx...

The difference between the old and new is the new version does not have a back plate on the driver housing which makes it like the old version after you do the grill mod. 

Below is the new version:

This is the old version with the back plate

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #9,539 of 14,386
Thx...

These may be too bass light if you are coming from the Beyer COP. Just a heads up.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #9,540 of 14,386
How are the "H" headband adjustment locks for everyone? One of mind has a bit of give if I touch it, but it still takes a good amount of force to move it up or down a notch. I am thinking about unscrewing the 2 screws on it and having a look if it can be tightened inside. Has anyone opened it up before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back