**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #10,516 of 22,116
^^^ nice Justin. I was just reading up on these and I'm interested.

May 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #10,517 of 22,116
double post

May 16, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #10,518 of 22,116
Quote:
But even with different source don't expect massive change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I connected the ODAC to the O2 to my HE500 and compared it to ODAC to Total Bithead to HE500 and couldn't tell a difference either.  Most people say that the O2 is a much better amp than the Bithead, but I couldn't make a distinction.  I could, however, distinguish between my brother's ASUS Essence One and the O2/ODAC on the HE500, but not the HE400/AKG K702 65th Annies.

May 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #10,519 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah I connected the ODAC to the O2 to my HE500 and compared it to ODAC to Total Bithead to HE500 and couldn't tell a difference either.  Most people say that the O2 is a much better amp than the Bithead, but I couldn't make a distinction.  I could, however, distinguish between my brother's ASUS Essence One and the O2/ODAC on the HE500, but not the HE400/AKG K702 65th Annies.

Headroom amps are fantastic. I am personally running the Desktop Ultra and cant say enough good things about it.

May 16, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #10,521 of 22,116
Quote:
I just got my HE-400 and I gotta say, these are probably the most sibilant cans I've ever listened to. Ear piercing highs... Every song I've tried (flac/320, various different artists and recordings, etc.) that has a lyric with the letter "s" in it, it's ear piercing. Cymbals aren't quite as bad but still painful. I've tried a lot of EQ in foobar to reduce the highs but I can't seem to get rid of the sibilance without losing the highs all together... and volume definitely isn't the issue 

I'm hoping someone has a really really good plan for me?? 
size]
 It seems most people have zero issues in this category :frowning2:

Are they brand new?
I had some problem with that as well at start.
Now i actually got used to those highs (but i definitly did not have such a huge problem at start...).

I equed using something beaver316 adviced and it took away the problem i had with mass effect 2 in this regard (ear piercing highs).

May 16, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #10,522 of 22,116
Hi, I just recently got the HE400 and so far am really happy with it. (I'm really new to these things so I don't think I'm as picky with details) The only issue I'm having is after a couple of hours of listening straight, these headphones start to really become uncomfortable. I've ordered a couple of pleather and valour pads from headdirect so I can try the jergmod and a headband cushion from amazon so hopefully this helps comfort wise. Do you guys have anymore suggestions to improve the comfort of the HE400?

Also I have a question with amp/dac to go along with the HE400. I'm currently using the e17 as an amp/dac to my imac and I was wondering if I bought the e09k will it make a big impact on the sound? Or should i just go with the schiit modi/magni stack? After reading a couple of comments about overheating I'm worried it might not work well for me since I'm going to be working in the Philippines in a few months so the temperature there would probably make the heating problems worse?

May 16, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #10,523 of 22,116
Start with the magni and use the e17 as DAC for a start. That is what I would do

May 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #10,524 of 22,116
I'll admit, I was hoping to take the easy route :wink:

Looks like jergpads and EQ are my best bet.

Are you starting with the pleathers or velours? Many here prefer the pleather including Jerg but I fall into the velour camp. Then again, sibilance wasn't at the top of my complaints either. Then again again, I bought used 400s so maybe yours are still needing burn in time?

May 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #10,525 of 22,116
Quote:
Are you starting with the pleathers or velours? Many here prefer the pleather including Jerg but I fall into the velour camp. Then again, sibilance wasn't at the top of my complaints either. Then again again, I bought used 400s so maybe yours are still needing burn in time?

I'm under the impression that planar magnetic diaphragms don't have a burn in time, but I could be wrong. Then again, lots of folks claim that nothing needs burn in... I got the velours in with the headphones and I did some switching back and forth without really noticing anything major between the two. I haven't done enough listening to tell I suppose. What do you like better about the pleathers?

May 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #10,526 of 22,116
Quote:

Just FYI, without any mods I don't prefer either pleather or velour. Both have some significant upsides and downsides.

May 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #10,527 of 22,116
I just got my HE-400 and I gotta say, these are probably the most sibilant cans I've ever listened to. Ear piercing highs... Every song I've tried (flac/320, various different artists and recordings, etc.) that has a lyric with the letter "s" in it, it's ear piercing. Cymbals aren't quite as bad but still painful. I've tried a lot of EQ in foobar to reduce the highs but I can't seem to get rid of the sibilance without losing the highs all together... and volume definitely isn't the issue 

I'm hoping someone has a really really good plan for me?? 
confused.gif
 It seems most people have zero issues in this category :frowning2:

I can comment that coming from the PortaPros I was using regularly prior to getting my HE-400, they were very noticeably brighter and harsher overall in the treble regions (the spike most mention being the worst of it causing some sibilance) - pads made little difference and were more of a comfort preference to me.  Over time, I became more accustomed to their presentation - call it brain burn-in if you will, but I now enjoy them a lot for most of my music.  They have a unique tuning along with having that 'American Sound', aka emphasis on the lower and upper regions.  I knew this going in as I wanted a more fun, aggressive signature.  It is possible to tame the treble with EQ for those who would prefer it less intense (as I've done myself) but I find lately I like them best with no EQ.  I think someone that already prefers a presentation that is closer to neutral could easily be put off by these, with an equal possibility that someone who already prefers a brighter signature may be more comfortable with them.  I've seen a few instances of headfiers that already own brighter headphones finding these less harsh (another V-shaped headphone, the DT-990, comes to mind).  I suspect that the opposite happens to people coming from something darker, more bass oriented or with a softer, rolled-off treble.  

There's a lot to take into consideration like your upstream equipment, music preferences and ear sensitivity, but I think their signature is different to the point where you have to listen to them pretty exclusively for some time to adjust to the sound.  That's how it seemed to be for me, anyway.  If you can't bear the treble presentation, these may not be for you - it's just an intrinsic part of their tuning.  I have yet to try some other planars of interest (I'm pretty much sold on the technology at this point) or just other cans with different sound signatures, so may find I prefer a different tuning/presentation all together, and it may be the same for you.  If you want to stick with planars, the Mad Dog or HE-500 may be more suitable options...I know I plan on getting the MD soon as a complementary to my HE-400.

May 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #10,528 of 22,116
Yes, I think you are completely right, modulor. While I don't like to title myself as a basshead, I do come from a bassy background. As another basshead has stated on this forum "recessed bass is too much bass for an audiophile" and I find that to be accurate (to my ears). That being said, after EQing (3dB down at 8kHz and 3dB down at 16kHz in iTunes), I find these cans to be faaaaaairly neutral. While my HD580's give a much more laid back presentation, both of these cans do a great job across the board. The HD580's have slightly more mid bass, no sibilance, and no sub bass while the HE-400's have what seems to be simply a broader spectrum (definitely more bass extension and possibly more treble extension). The biggest difference between the two is that the HE-400 is far from laid back IMO. They are crystal clear and forward sounding in comparison. Part of me is thinking "Sennheiser veil?"...

deadhorse.gif

I do have trouble understanding the "fun" factor on the HE-400's though. I understand what it means and that V-Shaped FR's are typically "fun" headphones (i.e. DT770's) with much more emphasis on the highs and bass than the mids. I think the HE-400's have great mids! Possibly the best out of my arsenal...

As far as the sibilance goes, I'm sure I'm just not used to this amount of treble. I'm slightly upset that I have to EQ in order to tolerate these but I guess that's just what it takes for some! I will say though, the treble plateau on the HD800's is a good enough reason not to drop $1500
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #10,529 of 22,116
Quote:
Yes, I think you are completely right, modulor. While I don't like to title myself as a basshead, I do come from a bassy background. As another basshead has stated on this forum "recessed bass is too much bass for an audiophile" and I find that to be accurate (to my ears). That being said, after EQing (3dB down at 8kHz and 3dB down at 16kHz in iTunes), I find these cans to be faaaaaairly neutral. While my HD580's give a much more laid back presentation, both of these cans do a great job across the board. The HD580's have slightly more mid bass, no sibilance, and no sub bass while the HE-400's have what seems to be simply a broader spectrum (definitely more bass extension and possibly more treble extension). The biggest difference between the two is that the HE-400 is far from laid back IMO. They are crystal clear and forward sounding in comparison. Part of me is thinking "Sennheiser veil?"...

deadhorse.gif

I do have trouble understanding the "fun" factor on the HE-400's though. I understand what it means and that V-Shaped FR's are typically "fun" headphones (i.e. DT770's) with much more emphasis on the highs and bass than the mids. I think the HE-400's have great mids! Possibly the best out of my arsenal...

As far as the sibilance goes, I'm sure I'm just not used to this amount of treble. I'm slightly upset that I have to EQ in order to tolerate these but I guess that's just what it takes for some! I will say though, the treble plateau on the HD800's is a good enough reason not to drop $1500
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a great respect for F-clef instruments (have played and do play a few myself) and just bass in general, so I'm naturally attracted to it...but I find that quality and accurate representation/texture is becoming the higher priority.  I still like my signature to be warm and weighty, so I guess you could call me a basshead in some ways 
cool.gif
 but it's not just about the bass with these...I think they are pretty great overall.  I guess by fun I mean more lively than a neutral signature (of those I've heard) - they are more aggressive but not overly so, they have the bass weight and treble sparkle without a large compromise on the midrange, and they're quick.  The mids are indeed nice and the recessed areas really only compromise a few songs I listen to (>10%), but that doesn't make them un-listenable or un-enjoyable by any means.  Every headphone will have it's trade-offs, but I value these greatly for what they bring to the table.  Are they a means to an end?  Perhaps for some, but they're still hard to beat in most respects for their price range.

Less 'Sennheiser veil', more 'Sennheiser presentation' 
wink.gif
.  I bet there are a few tracks/genres that still sound great if not better on the HD580 - sometimes that laid back presentation is necessary.  I have a friend that had a pair a few years back and loved them as he mainly listened to acoustic/folk rock.  You seem to have a good collection going so far!

May 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #10,530 of 22,116
I've been behind on this thread so I don't know if it was discussed yet but I just wanted to note that Random Access Memories by Daft Punk is out in the wild and it sounds amazing on the HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back