**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #10,546 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi
So I'm getting my HE-400 pretty soon and I wanted to ask you all a question. I need a USB DAC for around 150 dollars. I currently own Fiio e11 amp but because my source atm is a very, indeed very shi**y laptop I need something to improve it. Could you maybe suggest something that would work well with the E11 itself?

Thanks in advance for your help

For $150 you can do no better than the ODAC imo.

May 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #10,547 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi
So I'm getting my HE-400 pretty soon and I wanted to ask you all a question. I need a USB DAC for around 150 dollars. I currently own Fiio e11 amp but because my source atm is a very, indeed very shi**y laptop I need something to improve it. Could you maybe suggest something that would work well with the E11 itself?

Thanks in advance for your help

Definitely consider the Schiit Modi, JDS Labs ODAC or trade the E11 for an E17.  The Modi may be best because then you could upgrade to the Magni amp which the HE-400 loves 
biggrin.gif
  I do enjoy my ODAC, though...it's very portable and transparent.  If you are on the go, the ODAC would probably be a better choice between those two, and the E17 is good for an all-in-one solution and known to be a good pairing.

May 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #10,548 of 22,116
Quote:
Definitely consider the Schiit Modi, JDS Labs ODAC or trade the E11 for an E17.  The Modi may be best because then you could upgrade to the Magni amp which the HE-400 loves 
biggrin.gif
  I do enjoy my ODAC, though...it's very portable and transparent.  If you are on the go, the ODAC would probably be a better choice between those two, and the E17 is good for an all-in-one solution and known to be a good pairing.

How does the E17 compare to the Magni with these headphones? I've never tried either, but I just purchased an E17 to have a portable and solidstate amp to compliment my TubeMagic A1. Plus I think I'm enjoying SS amps more with the planar headphones (this and my T50RP's) but I'm really new to the amp part of this hobby. I like the tube warmth more with my dynamic cans and the accuracy and speed of the SS for my planar cans. The only SS amps I've tried are a basic cMoy and the TubeMagic D1 headphone jack (until the E17 shows up).

May 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #10,550 of 22,116
Quote:
biggrin.gif

And what do you reckon about HRT HeadStreamer?

May 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #10,553 of 22,116
Quote:
For me, the album is the one they've always wanted to do: an honest tribute to Italo disco. And in that vein, it's perfect. Then again, every Daft Punk album for me has always been "great track, great track, filler, filler, filler, filler, filler, filler, great track" or something to that effect.

The great tracks this time around are Giorgio by Murder, Lose Yourself to Dance and Contact. Man that closer is way too good.

I beg to differ the discovery album for example.

May 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #10,559 of 22,116
just pull the trigger on the akg 65th anniv. I'm about to see how those compare to the he400. I'm still leaning torward to me liking the he400 more but only time will tell. I couldn't pull myself to jump to higher on price to get the LCD 2.2 yet. If these he400 take the cake over the k702 anniv. I will have no choice but to go higher he500 or LCD 2 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back