**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 5, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #9,421 of 22,116
Had read through this thread and had settled on a pair of the HE-400's. Pulled the trigger last night only to find I can't order them straight from Head Direct and need to go through a UK retailer. Bit dissapointed to say the least as the UK prices are a bit more than I'm prepared to pay. Back to the drawing board for something else I guess.  

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #9,422 of 22,116
Quote:
Soon people will Burn those headphones instead of Burn-in...

Didn't you know? Gentle heating (say using a heat lamp, or with careful heat application via a hair drier) of the headphones during burn-in helps catalyze the process by increasing the heat-sensitive elasticity of the mylar diaphragms and allowing the stress distribution of new drivers to be broken in more effectively!

popcorn.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #9,423 of 22,116
Quote:
Had read through this thread and had settled on a pair of the HE-400's. Pulled the trigger last night only to find I can't order them straight from Head Direct and need to go through a UK retailer. Bit dissapointed to say the least as the UK prices are a bit more than I'm prepared to pay. Back to the drawing board for something else I guess.  

I live in Europe and ordered from Headamp in the US. It works out cheaper than buying from the UK/Europe. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #9,424 of 22,116
Quote:

I live in Europe and ordered from Headamp in the US. It works out cheaper than buying from the UK/Europe. 

Thanks beaver, didn't realise about Headamp and ordering from US. Ran the figures through an import tax/duty calculator for US to UK and indeed it works out considerably cheaper than buying in UK. Much appreciated.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #9,425 of 22,116
Quote:

Find a good used pair in the for sale forum, that's how I got mine and they looked brand new and still do.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #9,426 of 22,116
Didn't you know? Gentle heating (say using a heat lamp, or with careful heat application via a hair drier) of the headphones during burn-in helps catalyze the process by increasing the heat-sensitive elasticity of the mylar diaphragms and allowing the stress distribution of new drivers to be broken in more effectively!

:popcorn:

x2

You haven't heard the HE400 until after 7000 hours and immersing the drivers in external heat.

Oh, and the burn in process must be at 110db.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #9,427 of 22,116

:popcorn:

I'll let you guys know how the "Jergheat" mod does after I get myself a heatgun and a 192khz/24bit white noise file

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #9,431 of 22,116
Quote:
Yes, it most certainly does. 150 hours isn't that much (~1 week) if you consider running it all day with any source. Since they're fantastic out of the box, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it while it's not sitting on the side breaking in. Break-in will make the sound open up a lot and will make your bass more detailed and articulate. Think of it as stretching. 

nah

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #9,432 of 22,116
Quote:
How did you manage to bypass the import taxes at the customs anyway?

In my case there was a little misunderstanding at customs and I ended up showing a receipt of purchase and paid full custom fee, however it was still much cheaper than buying from Europe.

Europe: 400 Euro
US: $400 = 307 Euro + 50 Euro taxes = 357 Euro

With my ODAC which I purchased again from the US the nice fellows at JDS marked it at around $17 on the package, so I didn't pay a cent at customs 
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #9,433 of 22,116
Quote:

Thanks beaver, didn't realise about Headamp and ordering from US. Ran the figures through an import tax/duty calculator for US to UK and indeed it works out considerably cheaper than buying in UK. Much appreciated.

Glad to have helped, it's always nice to give a big screw you to whoever sets the crazy prices we Europeans have to put up with compared to the US.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #9,435 of 22,116
Quote:
They say that after over 9000 hours the burn-in fairy appears to you and turns your HE-400 into an orpheus.

Yeah, and in 20000 burn in it will wash the dishes and cook for you...  and sue you for sexual harrasment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back