**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #9,392 of 22,116
Quote:
................<drops jaw>

I love industrial design and woodwork. And I can't imagine the amount of work that would have gone into that. It is simply..... stunning.

Doesn't come cheap though.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #9,393 of 22,116
Doesn't come cheap though.

As soon as I can afford the he 400 or 500, that is the first thing I've always planned on making, may not come out as well as Martin's the first time, but I've wanted to woody the hifiman from the first time I saw the he400.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,394 of 22,116
Quote:
As soon as I can afford the he 400 or 500, that is the first thing I've always planned on making, may not come out as well as Martin's the first time, but I've wanted to woody the hifiman from the first time I saw the he400.

You should definitely document the process with photos or videos, it'd be fascinating for the rest of us who have no carpentry/artisan skills. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #9,397 of 22,116
You should definitely document the process with photos or videos, it'd be fascinating for the rest of us who have no carpentry/artisan skills. 
biggrin.gif

definitely will, it'll be a bit before I get my hands on them, but the first thing I'm doing is taking them apart and starting to create new housings, probably black limba or zebrawood.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #9,398 of 22,116
Quote:

Sounds like a plan!  Oh, the things I would do with a good CNC router/lathe and some free time...one day. 
tongue.gif

Btw, for anyone interested in buying the alpha pads for the HE400 but wants to know how they sound: I'll probably get a chance to audition them next week :)

I'd be interested - they are apparently pretty comfy.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #9,399 of 22,116
Quote:
definitely will, it'll be a bit before I get my hands on them, but the first thing I'm doing is taking them apart and starting to create new housings, probably black limba or zebrawood.

If there's any chance that you'll be making a 3D model for the CNC, it'd be great to collaborate on it. I'm thinking of getting a TechSHop membership and it might be super helpful.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #9,400 of 22,116
If there's any chance that you'll be making a 3D model for the CNC, it'd be great to collaborate on it. I'm thinking of getting a TechSHop membership and it might be super helpful.

No Cnc, freehand on a lathe. I'll be testing myself.that's for sure...its just something I want to do, it may take me a long long time to get it right, but I will.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #9,402 of 22,116
First impressions with HE-400 + Alpha Pads + Beyerdynamic headband (for comfort):

Comfort level absolutely skyrockets. Treble seems tamer than even the velours, female vocals don't seem as lacking and the soundstage becomes ridiculous. Seems like there's less bass though, oddly.

Edit: Actually the bass is debatable so far. Some songs it seems a bit muddier but other times it seems like it's more accurate due to the decrease. Might be the songs I'm using though.

Wondering if I should return the Mad Dogs and get the Alpha Pads; ~$75 investment, bringing HE-400 total to $490 (due to shipping + velour pads on headdirect, which was the only site that had it in stock at the time).

Though there does seem to be a bit of a heat issue with the Alpha Pads on the HE-400; there is no heat issue with the Mad Dogs oddly.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #9,403 of 22,116
Quote:
First impressions with HE-400 + Alpha Pads + Beyerdynamic headband (for comfort):

Comfort level absolutely skyrockets. Treble seems tamer than even the velours, female vocals don't seem as lacking and the soundstage becomes ridiculous. Seems like there's less bass though, oddly.

Edit: Actually the bass is debatable so far. Some songs it seems a bit muddier but other times it seems like it's more accurate due to the decrease. Might be the songs I'm using though.

Wondering if I should return the Mad Dogs and get the Alpha Pads; ~$75 investment, bringing HE-400 total to $490 (due to shipping + velour pads on headdirect, which was the only site that had it in stock at the time).

Though there does seem to be a bit of a heat issue with the Alpha Pads on the HE-400; there is no heat issue with the Mad Dogs oddly.

Sounds promising :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #9,404 of 22,116
Doing a little comparison of the HE-400 and my new HD600 they do sound nothing alike which is what I was expecting and counting on because I wanted a more laid back signature with the HD600 compared to the HE-400.

I was wanting to see if the HD600 could compete with the HE-400's detail and while the HD600 had more detail than I was expecting from a lot of the review I've read they still didn't have the micro detail of the HE-400 which has as much detail as many of the balanced armature IEM's I had that are known for being detailed.  Now the treble on the HD600 was another surprise to me as its quite crisp and detailed but again the HE-400 is just a bit better with more of the micro detail though quite a few people would probably prefer the 600's highs over the HE-400.

Bass again is better on the HE-400 with more impact and depth but the bass on the HD600 is natural and neutral which works with the over all sound of the HP.

Lastly we come to the mids (I'm not going to get into soundstage as both a spacious and good) which I give to the HD600 but it was closer than I was liking because the HD600 is known for their mids.  The 600's mids are smooth, forward and detailed with very clean sounding vocals and in the HE-400 the lower mids are more forward but then the upper mids take a step back all the way tell the lower treble come in but it doesn't hurt the sound and I like it with many of the more energetic trance on house I listen to.

Ok I'm done now 
size]

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #9,405 of 22,116
Quote:

Are these impressions before or after break-in? That bass starts to free up a LOT after a few hundred hours of break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back