**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #9,361 of 22,116
Quote:

I have, actually.  I used to play one for years.

Now, what are your specific examples where HE-500 has a 'ton more subtle detail?'

Go and listen to a well mastered track that features trumpet on it. Listen with both headphones and then tell me you can't hear a noticeable difference in tone and texture between the two.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #9,362 of 22,116
Quote:
Go and listen to a well mastered track that features trumpet on it. Listen with both headphones and then tell me you can't hear a noticeable difference in tone and texture between the two.

Accually the he-500 got worse tone and texture than the he-400.
Not to mention the 10x better bass in the 400...
500 users are just mad that a better headphone got released for a cheaper price 
L3000.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #9,363 of 22,116
And what are these well mastered tracks of trumpet you listen to so that we can see the drastic difference in subtle detail?

There will be differences in timbre, because HE-400 has less of upper midrange. Timbre and detail aren't really the same to me though.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #9,364 of 22,116
Quote:
Accually the he-500 got worse tone and texture than the he-400.
Not to mention the 10x better bass (in all aspects)
500 users are just mad that a better headphone got released for a cheaper price 
L3000.gif

Or HE 400 users are trying to justify that their headphone can compete with more expensive ones cos they don't want to spend that much on them. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #9,365 of 22,116
Quote:
And what are these well mastered tracks of trumpet you listen to so that we can see the drastic difference in subtle detail?

There will be differences in timbre, because HE-400 has less of upper midrange. Timbre and detail aren't really the same to me though.

Try Christian Atunde Adjuah by Christian Scott. There's a high-res version available on HD Tracks if you're committed 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #9,370 of 22,116
Quote:
Stop ***ing up the thread with these petty bickerings please people.

I was gunna mention it if you didn't. Jeez if you want perfection in EVERYTHING, get orpheus. Even then, you can criticize it by nit picking on the minute problems and the cycle will never end. Heck, let's say that trumpets sound better on HE-500. But! there are other things that the HE-400 does better as well definitely.

As lots of others said, it's a matter of preference. If you like the sound of HE500, pay 700. If you like the sound of HE400, pay 400. I'll even go so far to say tht if your preference is trendy look, you go for the Beats. Simple as that! No need to try and flame/troll others just to justify your purchase!

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #9,371 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh I'll for sure get that high-res version.  I'm sure it also has a ton more subtle detail in it.

You should have cool story bro'ed the other guy loong ago lol

EDIT: Talking about detail, I once auditioned T1 in my friend's house for a good couple of hours which are known to have good amount of detail extraction but honestly speaking, the HE400 extracts enough even compared to it unless the song is extremely complex music.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #9,372 of 22,116
Jerg
I was gunna mention it if you didn't. Jeez if you want perfection in EVERYTHING, get orpheus. Even then, you can criticize it by nit picking on the minute problems and the cycle will never end. Heck, let's say that trumpets sound better on HE-500. But! there are other things that the HE-400 does better as well definitely.

As lots of others said, it's a matter of preference. If you like the sound of HE500, pay 700. If you like the sound of HE400, pay 400. I'll even go so far to say tht if your preference is trendy look, you go for the Beats. Simple as that! No need to try and flame/troll others just to justify your purchase!
,I took your advice and got both :smile:. I use any one depending on what mood I am in. The 400 to my hearing is a tad more aggressive so I use it instead of coffee to wake me up. Otherwise I use the 500 and chill out.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #9,373 of 22,116
Quote:
Having heard nkbg's HE-500's, I was tempted to check out the HE-400. A friend and I stopped by AVSF in San Francisco and auditioned everything they had on display. I believe the HE-400's were the only open back pair, and we both individually realized that nothing sounded even remotely in the same category as the Hifimans. Needless to say, we both bought a pair each and I've driven them with mostly with my iPhone 5, but sometimes with my Anedio D2. I wish I had more time to listen to them, but I can say without a doubt that despite the investment in my speaker setup (ANedio D2, Audiophilleo AP2+PurePower, Martin Logan Vantage ESLs, Jolida JD801 tube amp, RSA Haley power, etc.), there's more pleasure in hearing the HE-400s than I do with the speaker setup. 

I agree with absolutk.  I have had my HE-400 for about 6 months and I love them.  Whether they are very detailed, or too bright, or whatever description you have for them, all I know is that I love the sound signature that they have.  They have ruined me for listening to my speakers at least for music.  My speakers are Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC590, 4 Studio 20's and 2 Servo 15 subs.  My question for those of you who are familiar with the sound signature of the HE-400's is...What are the best speakers to buy that will replicate the sound signature of the HE-400's.  I have never heard them, but I suspect that the Magnapans may be similar due to the similarity of the driver design.  Any Ideas?

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #9,374 of 22,116
Thanks BlindHog. 

I would recommend auditioning a pair of ESL speakers - whether by Quad or by Martin Logan. You'll get those highs. However, given the hybrid nature of their speakers, I wouldn't expect the same level of bass clarity (there's one driver that provides low-end to mids, and of course it can't do it justice). Unless, of course, you spent $20k on a pair of their CLX :). I understand, however, that Magnetic Planars will do the same through the spectrum. I haven't heard a pair, so I can't say for sure. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back