**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #9,451 of 22,116
Wow you guys really need to move to the U.S.
evil_smiley.gif

Or have Fang relocate HiFiMan to Europe?

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #9,452 of 22,116
Quote:
Wow you guys really need to move to the U.S.
evil_smiley.gif

Or have Fang relocate HiFiMan to Europe?

Hmmm yes, move fang :)

Come Fang, we'll help you move :) 

Honestly I think import taxes are ridiculous and all countries should abandon this stupid rule. And no borders and everything should be equal for everybody and no more war and distrust amongst countries. And I'm sorry for that! I do think this system must change, and will change but the HE-400 thread is hardly the place to discuss this problem!

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #9,453 of 22,116
Quote:
Hmmm yes, move fang :)

Come Fang, we'll help you move :) 

Honestly I think import taxes are ridiculous and all countries should abandon this stupid rule. And no borders and everything should be equal for everybody and no more war and distrust amongst countries. And I'm sorry for that! I do think this system must change, and will change but the HE-400 thread is hardly the place to discuss this problem!

+1 about the borders and countries living in peace.

I can see it now. Head-Fi members all over Europe gathering to help Fang move to Europe, carrying boxes and offering him their guest rooms.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #9,454 of 22,116
Quote:
Same here. The situation here in Brazil is even worse: There are only a few headphones for sale, and they usually charge 5x+ the market price for them.

Sucks to live in a third world country.

Yup, butt, you have very sexy women... 

I guess if you have the money you could go on a holiday and buy audio gear somewhere in Asia, and maybe even save some money in the process.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #9,455 of 22,116
Quote:
+1 about the borders and countries living in peace.

I can see it now. Head-Fi members all over Europe gathering to help Fang move to Europe, carrying boxes and offering him their guest rooms.

If Hifiman continues to dominate the markets for affordable high-performance headphones/IEMs/portable players, Fang will probably be able to afford getting some estates in Europe lol.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #9,456 of 22,116
Quote:
Yup, butt, you have very sexy women... 

I guess if you have the money you could go on a holiday and buy audio gear somewhere in Asia, and maybe even save some money in the process.

Well, that's pretty much the only positive thing in living here.

My old man was living in Japan till' about 1 year ago, but I was stupid enough to forget asking him to bring me some stuff. As of now, the only way I could travel to Asia is if I were to follow his steps and work and reside there aswell, because I haven't got the money nor the time to do it at this time.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #9,457 of 22,116
That does suck about how much many Head-fi'ers have to pay for thing that people like me in the US get much cheaper plus then you have customs fees and such.  Many of the IEM's I've sold off were to people from Asia and India and on the customs form I always put the cost under $40 so the fees were cheap or free I don't know.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #9,458 of 22,116
Quote:
That does suck about how much many Head-fi'ers have to pay for thing that people like me in the US get much cheaper plus then you have customs fees and such.  Many of the IEM's I've sold off were to people from Asia and India and on the customs form I always put the cost under $40 so the fees were cheap or free I don't know.

I think stores could get in a lot of trouble if they were discovered to give false lower values on their products? I mean it is sort of fraud, but then again I'm not sure if another country could even punish them by law.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #9,459 of 22,116
I think stores could get in a lot of trouble if they were discovered to give false lower values on their products? I mean it is sort of fraud, but then again I'm not sure if another country could even punish them by law.

Yes, that is why many of them refuse to do this.
As an individual you have "more freedom" in this, and I'm always grateful for those who would do it.
Not necessarily fair, but everyone likes to save a little money...

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #9,460 of 22,116
Oh I'm not saying that stores should do that at all I was just basically saying what I did to help some people out with the cost.
Plus the ones I sold were all used and who can say how much they're worth once they've been open and used.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #9,461 of 22,116
Okay I did another test with velours vs Alpha Pads (velours on left ear, alpha pads on right, do note my right ear can't hear soundstage as well as my left). Ive determined the Alpha Pads do have an increase in soundstage (width and depth) and hi-hats sound much more realistic thsn the velours. Vocals are also more intimate (both male and female) and female vocals are much improved. Not as nasally and treble is more tame. More suited toward my signature, which is dark from what ive read. Not a fan of excessive treble. Mid-bass/impact seems to be decreases whereas sub-bass is increased, which is probably why it seems slightly muddier. I cannot really tell if it is muddy though. Only on really intense parts it seems slightly muddier/less imaging.

Overall Alpha Pads sound much more immersive yet more intimate/fuller, with a trade-off of less bass impact but more rumble, which could be muddy. Would like a second opinion on the muddiness aspect though if anyone else has tried it.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #9,462 of 22,116

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying that stores should do that at all I was just basically saying what I did to help some people out with the cost.
Plus the ones I sold were all used and who can say how much they're worth once they've been open and used.

Exactly!

Quote:

The Alpha Pads are interesting, but a bit pricey I guess. I would be nice to see how it compares to the JergPads as well.
How does it fit to the Hifiman's round mounting ring or how do you put it on? Could you post a pic of the HE-400 with those on?

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #9,464 of 22,116

Fits perfectly really. Taken with my tablet by the way so sorry for the low quality. They don't hug the mounting ring like the velours and leathers but nonetheless its a pretty good fit. To put the mounting rings in the Alpha Pads, you have to turn them inside out. The Alpha Pad is thicker though so when you put them on the headphone, it's quite snug. Won't move around without some force, and even then there's rubbery friction. I'm thinking of modding them so they don,'t cover the mounting holes and taping the pads withdouble sided tape onto the ring and the headohone itself but that is quite a bit of mutilating for a $60 pad.. id assume itd increase the midbass though. Thinking about how to tame the subbass.

Two gripes I have though, one about alpha pad and one about the he400. Im nitpicking though.

Alpha Pads aren't uniform; one is larger than the other but that is quite understandable for custom pads.

The he400s metal seems to be rusting or something. It's turning dark brown rather than brownish red. And it came with a small chip. Returning them and just going to get an open box one.

Edit: I re-read this and I've used "though" like a million times.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #9,465 of 22,116
Quote:

Fits perfectly really. Taken with my tablet by the way so sorry for the low quality. They don't hug the mounting ring like the velours and leathers but nonetheless its a pretty good fit. To put the mounting rings in the Alpha Pads, you have to turn them inside and out. The Alpha Pad is thicker though so when you put them on the headphone, it's quite snug. Won't move around without some force, and even then there's rubbery friction. I'm thinking of modding them so they don,'t cover the mounting holes and taping the pads withdouble sided tape onto the ring and the headohone itself but that is quite a bit of mutilating for a $60 pad.. id assume itd increase the midbass though. Thinking about how to tame the subbass.

Two gripes I have though, one about alpha pad and one about the he400. Im nitpicking though.

Alpha Pads aren't uniform; one is larger than the other but that is quite understandable for custom pads.

The he400s metal seems to be rusting or something. It's turning dark brown rather than brownish red though. And it came with a small chip. Returning them and just going to get an open box one.

They certainly look a mile ahead more uniform and well-made than J$ beyer pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back