**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #8,461 of 22,116
It's not 100% similarity. If you don't mind slightly less warmth, more treble clarity, go for it.

I wasn't offended by the LCD2's leather pads. But the vegan is definitely an improvement comfort-wise. Still, I wouldn't have minded owning the leather pads if it was a simple process to swap them out. It isn't. Ah well.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #8,462 of 22,116
Got the LCD-2 boxed up and ready to ship out tomorrow, and the HE-400 back on my head. Fortunately, I like many characteristics of the HE-400 more. I think the bass has a little more impact, and I like the coloration just a tad more with the music I listen to. The LCD-2 filled in a lot of gaps with music that didn't sound good on my HE-400 and ultimately I would love to have them in my collection but I'm just super happy that I can continue to enjoy my HE-400 for the time being. Loved the LCD-2, but I'm not rushing to sell my HE-400 any time soon.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #8,464 of 22,116
Quote:
Got the LCD-2 boxed up and ready to ship out tomorrow, and the HE-400 back on my head. Fortunately, I like many characteristics of the HE-400 more. I think the bass has a little more impact, and I like the coloration just a tad more with the music I listen to. The LCD-2 filled in a lot of gaps with music that didn't sound good on my HE-400 and ultimately I would love to have them in my collection but I'm just super happy that I can continue to enjoy my HE-400 for the time being. Loved the LCD-2, but I'm not rushing to sell my HE-400 any time soon.

FWIW, I compared the LCD2 to the HE500s and I still prefer the HiFi Man rig. It's got more zing for me and the sheer size of the LCD2 was kind of a turn off. The sound was also a bit too similar, I think if I'm going to get a second set of cans, I would want to get something that sounded more different. Not another Planar magnetic, but that's just me. There's nothing like the impact and sound pressure from a closed back standard driver.... I've been very tempted to try the M-Audio Q40. Supposedly has all the Bass of a Pro 900 but with sweeter mids and highs... Great price too... Very tempting. Malveaux's review has made my trigger finger itchy... 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #8,465 of 22,116
All I know is I'm super grateful for Justin and I'm pretty positive that what I buy will be in the HiFiMan, Stax or Audeze family in the future and I will definitely go through him.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #8,467 of 22,116
I ended up needing one with a remote control and that immediately pushed up the price range. You can get something pretty good I'd think for under five bills. At worst case you'd just have to go separates along the lines of the Magni/Modi combo from Schiit. I had an Icon iDo for a while, while it didn't get particularly "loud" it had a pretty nice sound. I wish I could advise you on the others but I haven't heard any of the rest. The 400s are pretty easy to drive though, so there should be a lot of choices. 

If I were going desktop I would definitely jump on the magni/modi combo. Thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions for transportable amp/dac with best synergy with the HE400 under $500?

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #8,468 of 22,116
How are you guys storing these?  SKB, Pelican cases?  I wish I can just have them on my stand, but children can wreak havoc just about anywhere.

I use the Hifiman travel case and I find it very protective. It's certainly not in the same league as a Pelican case, so may not survive a trip in the bathtub, but the outer shell is actually quite hard.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #8,469 of 22,116
I use the Hifiman travel case and I find it very protective. It's certainly not in the same league as a Pelican case, so may not survive a trip in the bathtub, but the outer shell is actually quite hard.
Do you have pics of the inside? I want to see if it'll work with that snap-on headband.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #8,471 of 22,116
Hey guys,
I was wondering, I think im about ready to upgrade to the HE-500, and i wondered if its even possible to sell my HE-400 across the atlantic (i know most people who are in this forum are USA Citzens but i live in Poland).

Also, in order to send the merchandise, how do you ensure the person will recive it at the other end? You get something like DHL with some form of guarantee?

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #8,472 of 22,116
I honestly think you'd have an easier time selling it on your side of the world, as the HE-400 is pretty easy to get here. Most of the messages I got when selling both my HE-400s came from international members.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #8,473 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys,
I was wondering, I think im about ready to upgrade to the HE-500, and i wondered if its even possible to sell my HE-400 across the atlantic (i know most people who are in this forum are USA Citzens but i live in Poland).

Also, in order to send the merchandise, how do you ensure the person will recive it at the other end? You get something like DHL with some form of guarantee?

There are no guarantees as it is hard to ship something internationally and require a signature -- it may be easier going into the USA than out of it.  However for the several thousand packages I've shipped, maybe 5 or less have never arrived.  And most of those were "lost" in company or university mail systems.  

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #8,474 of 22,116
Quote:
Is the Bravo a great amp? How could I DIY one, or at least what are some heavy mods to make it worth the $100?

I'll tell you when I have it. I know nothing about DIY and modding. The guy who replied to my question may help you better in that regard.

Quote:

There are no guarantees as it is hard to ship something internationally and require a signature -- it may be easier going into the USA than out of it.  However for the several thousand packages I've shipped, maybe 5 or less have never arrived.  And most of those were "lost" in company or university mail systems.  

I'm glad mine wasn't one of those. My HE-400 arrived smooth and fast(well, not so much, but not Justin's fault).

I hope when I decide to upgrade you'll still be shipping to Brazil, because I'll probably buy from you again, Justin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back